**VIDEO** RYO Optodist Overview

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

**VIDEO** RYO Optodist Overview

Post by ben_hex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 pm

So here's my latest module overview video. Had some real fun with the Optodist it's a really great unit. I've crammed a lot in again and hopefully as with the other videos so far you'll all appreciate the longer length and more in depth coverage. It covers basic overview and features, acid patches, crunches up FX sends, mangling drum hits, drum loop distortion and envelope modulation, clipping CVs with the LED limiting and more.

As always I invite everyone to follow my general video thread to keep up to date with all videos but for now here's the Optodist! :party:

EURORACK MODULAR VIDEO THREAD -
viewtopic.php?t=105603

[video][/video]

From the video description -

Here's my overview video for the RYO Optodist, voltage controlled distortion and saturating VCA. It passes both audio and CV so you can clip and modulate your control voltages as well as audio.

For more information head to the companies website here -
http://shop.ljunggrenaudio.com/en/items/optodist.ryo

As always any questions ask in the comments or message me. Like the video and subscribe for more coming soon.

If there's anything you'd like to see from my set up let me know and I'll try and get a video together.

For more info on DivKid you can tweet @DivKid or go to our official site divkidmusic.com
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Nice work, the distorted beats around 13:30 are great. I never even built my kit, maybe I should give it another chance.

sixteen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixteen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Awesome video Ben..

Super stuff
S

theewiper
Common Wiggler

Post by theewiper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, awesome drum sounds. Excellent demonstration.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks Ben, great video! The Optodist seems to have a sweet sound that moves into a pretty huge & warm distortion, I like it.

JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

Post by JRock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 am

Awesome Vid :tu:
Cool Sounds:)

phono1337
2SK30A-O

Post by phono1337 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 am

Optodist is a great lil module, nothing but praise for it from me

truckasaurus
Common Wiggler

Post by truckasaurus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 am

Well done! Thanks for such a comprehensive look at this module. I've been really curious about this one and your vid was super helpful. BTW, is it a relatively easy build?

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:52 am

Great video! The best bit for me was the very end, I hadn't thought about running CV through the optodist - and then wave shaping with modulation is a brilliant idea! Thanks! :tu:

Here is a tip for everyone: for a jaw dropping, third eye prying distortion sound from the optodist, try running sounds through a spring reverb before the distortion. This adds a really tactile dynamic to the sound and a trailing body of noise with lots of harmonic action. You cant keep this idea though because it is like my signature sound right now :hihi:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38 am

Sweet, so this morning I tried going sinewave into spring reverb into optodist - sending CV pings into the optodist - sounds amazing! somewhere between a thumb piano and a steel drum :party:

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 am

One of the best how-to videos I have ever seen, and also a great showcase of why a modular is a different kind of instrument than a conventional synthesizer.

I hate distortion in patches and drums. But even I own an Optodist.
Dripfeed

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:09 am

Without wanting to change topic - did you get anywhere with your LPG in the end drip.feed?

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 am

Ginko wrote:Without wanting to change topic - did you get anywhere with your LPG in the end drip.feed?
It's on hold for now Ginko. The module outputs 4 separate signals just fine and I am unlikely to use the Mix output anyway because it doesn't allow control over the individual volume of each LPG, so it will be a long time before I summon up the will to debug it (probably right before I sell it, to be honest!). Did you ever publish the mods you made for 'the perfect' frequency control?
Dripfeed

Tripadvizer
Common Wiggler

Post by Tripadvizer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 am

Thanks for the Video! now i want a optodist

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:35 am

fantastic to see RYO get some love. I love my optodist, and I find myself thinking of excuses to get a second, hehe.

Great demo, btw. I think detuned saws going into the optodist is the most brilliant thing, so I'm glad to see that featured as well!

:bananaguitar: :tu:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 am

drip.feed wrote:
Ginko wrote:Without wanting to change topic - did you get anywhere with your LPG in the end drip.feed?
It's on hold for now Ginko. The module outputs 4 separate signals just fine and I am unlikely to use the Mix output anyway because it doesn't allow control over the individual volume of each LPG, so it will be a long time before I summon up the will to debug it (probably right before I sell it, to be honest!). Did you ever publish the mods you made for 'the perfect' frequency control?
Haha, I did post up the resistor changes I made, every time I do something like that though (as in publish my mods) it usually turns out that I have made a mistake somewhere else... I am a great source of misinformation :hihi:

MindSnared
Common Wiggler

Post by MindSnared » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 am

Amazing video :love: Loving the work you've done with the Optodist, great sounds and pacing, lots of useful patch examples :tu: your back catalogue is impressive and great advice on what's out there as well and I very much look forward to seeing more awesome synthvids from you, cheers :party: :sb:
Roll Your Own - ljunggrenaudio.com

Stollmeister
Common Wiggler

Post by Stollmeister » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 am

Great video! Keep them comming!

Also, the Optodist looks great.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Yeah, i am liking my optodist thus far. Nice vactrol vibe to it.

i am sure that last time i used it it wasn't closing completely as a vca. Maybe it is not meant to actually do this - is everybody else's the same? (ie: not closing completely when used as a clean-ish vca)

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:21 am

sempervirent thanks mate, yeah definitely get the kit going. Great unit. I've been finding myself just sending patches through it for some warmth at low gains (and lower signal level which I missed in the video) or driving pre filter oscillator mixes or post filter so it grabs and pushes resonance nicely.

sixteen theewiper Ras Thavas JRock phono1337 cheers guys :tu:

truckasaurus I didn't build it, got direct from RYO assembled so I can comment on that. DIY friends say it looks simple and it's documented as such so I'd imagine so. Maybe not for me though I'm DIY useless! Haha.

Ginko definitely gets nasty after spring reverb :-) good idea. Think I need a new bigger tank for my A-199 to get some different tones. The thumb piano idea is great. So good in fact I've filmed my second "patch ideas" video on it. I'll credit you throughout for the idea. Definitely heard some thumb piano sounds in there while trying it out.

Katodo
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Katodo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:58 am

Cool Sounds! My next module.. :banana:

MindSnared
Common Wiggler

Post by MindSnared » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am

matttech wrote:Yeah, i am liking my optodist thus far. Nice vactrol vibe to it.

i am sure that last time i used it it wasn't closing completely as a vca. Maybe it is not meant to actually do this - is everybody else's the same? (ie: not closing completely when used as a clean-ish vca)
Glad you like the module! :)

There is some bleed through when fully closed, SR3 vactrols/optocouplers have noticeably less bleed than SR2. All the vendors have SR3 as it is a more popular choice. This video is also made with SR3 vactrol Optodist.

One thing you can do to make it close more is replacing resistor R9 68K with a lower value for example 10K. It will reduce the bleed significantly but also lessen the distortion effect.

Another thing is tweaking the trimmer to lower max gain, it would also reduce the bleed a little.

MindSnared
Common Wiggler

Post by MindSnared » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 am

Katodo wrote:Cool Sounds! My next module.. :banana:
Cheers! We hope you like it. :guinness:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am

ben_hex wrote:sempervirent thanks mate, yeah definitely get the kit going. Great unit. I've been finding myself just sending patches through it for some warmth at low gains (and lower signal level which I missed in the video) or driving pre filter oscillator mixes or post filter so it grabs and pushes resonance nicely.

sixteen theewiper Ras Thavas JRock phono1337 cheers guys :tu:

truckasaurus I didn't build it, got direct from RYO assembled so I can comment on that. DIY friends say it looks simple and it's documented as such so I'd imagine so. Maybe not for me though I'm DIY useless! Haha.

Ginko definitely gets nasty after spring reverb :-) good idea. Think I need a new bigger tank for my A-199 to get some different tones. The thumb piano idea is great. So good in fact I've filmed my second "patch ideas" video on it. I'll credit you throughout for the idea. Definitely heard some thumb piano sounds in there while trying it out.
:tu:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Replied to the first page earlier and now second ...

drip.feed wetterberg MindSnared cheers guys, defi itely more coming soon.

matttech, I did have a little bit last night actually. Could just hear a muffled sort of tone creeping through. Was fine as it wasn't the final vca in the patch.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”