MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arp 1601 Sequencer clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next [all]
Author Arp 1601 Sequencer clone
kogz23
Hi All,

I got and Arp 2600 and wanted a sequencer to go with it. As the only 1601's I could find were ridiculously expensive and I am too impatient to wait for a "cheap" one I went ahead and built a clone. While researching during building I stumbled across the 2600 clone so thought there may be interest from others in my 1601 clone.

I added an Electric Druid LFO which is nice as it has syncable rate via clock.
Here is a rough video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMBHPyCxIo&list=UUrmn5F8BejRQjvmGeN45 EUQ

If people are interested maybe I could make a run for these or if some one else just wants the schematics and board layout I used I'll post em or whatever.

Cheers
Al
delayed
Hi,
Yes please post the schematic and layout you used. And maybe tell what issues (if any) you ran into building your 1601.

Thanks for the post.

...looks like your little friend likes the blinking lights and buttons...
netpusher
I just finished my TTSH, totally would be interested if you did a run of these!
dubnspace
yep, would probably be interested too depending on what one would cost
adnauseam
I was hoping this idea would pop up!

Haven't built my TTSH and still interested in the 1601.
Broadwave
Great. Count me in.
leeski
yep i'll do one
flts
Hell yes, interested in either schematics + layouts or one piece/set of PCBs if you do a run. Count me in in any case.
Luap

Zthee posted a mockup of one he said he might do after some TTSH kits were out the door..
Although who knows how long this would take to appear!?? hihi

kogz23, yours looks great though! Nice job..
emdot_ambient
Are you kidding? Hell YES I'd want one! (Or two)

I actually have an original one, but it's in need of servicing. Might just be it needs complete slider refurbishing, or it might need more care than that. Whatever, these are really nice sequencers!

Are there many hard to find components in it?
adnauseam
Luap wrote:

Zthee posted a mockup of one he said he might do after some TTSH kits were out the door..
Although who knows how long this would take to appear!?? hihi

kogz23, yours looks great though! Nice job..

WOAHHhhhhhhhh plz woah woah woah

This would be so awesome.

edit: not meaning to hijack the post. I'd love to see both come to fruition.

kogz23: you got any more deets?
Luap
Ironically, I pulled the Zthee image form another post where someone expressed an interest in cloning this sequencer. So thats 3 people who might give it a shot hihi
bookends
this looks dope! definitely interested
gslug
Still waiting for my TTSH, but I'd be down for a PCB, or whatever else you come out with. Nice work.
kogz23
Hi,
all the parts were bought from Mouser apart from the dual monostable multivibrator (MC14528) which I got cheap off ebay.

The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel. One answer to this problem would be to put all the jacks on a separate board. If the board was placed at the back then you would have the advantage of having the cables out of your way while using the machine. However aesthetically it would be quite a step away from the original.

As you can see I have not installed all the jacks on the board, still pondering the best solution.
I'll put up some schematics when on the right computer!

Cheers
Al
rico loverde
Fuck yea Al!!!!
steffensen
Looking real good man! w00t
A 3U version of this thing would be killer!
xpmtl
I think the problem is he height of your jacks, if you change them to those it should all be level.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5mm-jack-sockets-x50/

Also the MC14528 is available in SOIC package at mouser smile

kogz23 wrote:
Hi,
all the parts were bought from Mouser apart from the dual monostable multivibrator (MC14528) which I got cheap off ebay.

The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel. One answer to this problem would be to put all the jacks on a separate board. If the board was placed at the back then you would have the advantage of having the cables out of your way while using the machine. However aesthetically it would be quite a step away from the original.

As you can see I have not installed all the jacks on the board, still pondering the best solution.
I'll put up some schematics when on the right computer!

Cheers
Al
sduck
kogz23 wrote:

The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel

Not a problem - switch to the same parts as are used in the TTSH. Solder in everything except the switches, then drop the switches into the holes, install the front panel, flip it and the switches will drop down to the correct place, and solder them there.
kogz23
Thanks for the input
Quote:
I think the problem is he height of your jacks, if you change them to those it should all be level.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5mm-jack-sockets-x50/

Also the MC14528 is available in SOIC package at mouser smile

Yes, they look a lot better. I think you will still have to use the technique that sduck mentions for some of the switches. And if a run is done then I'll change those MC14528's to SOIC. I think there is only one of them.

I suppose the only other thing is the LFO. The one I have used so far is Electric Druid's tap lfo. It is digital, but is very versatile well as having a syncable rate which is very handy when used in conjuncture with the sequencer. Any other preferences for LFO. Obviously I also need to check with Electric Druid whether he minds me using his/her design.

Another thing is that I see in a previous mock up design an ADSR has been added. I am not really a modular hound so I can't see reason for having an ADSR added to the sequencer. There probably is a good reason, I'm just missing it. So how useful would it be, what applications would you use it for.

Cheers
Al
flts
For the informal poll, I'd be really happy with the ED Tap Tempo LFO actually, I think that's actually a cool idea as far as features are concerned if Tom is OK with using that (I don't see why he wouldn't if you ask him nicely).

I suppose the ADSR in zthee's design was added because it was intended to be an "expander" for the TTSH ARP 2600 clone, which in turn was designed to be a faithful recreation. I guess people had requested to add another envelope to the TTSH and zthee said "no, I want it to be as close to 1:1 clone as possible, no extras or changes" and it was considered a good tentative idea to add an extra envelope to an expander instead.

In that sense I don't see it necessary to have an ADSR in the sequencer, even though extra envelopes are always useful it isn't really an integral part of a sequencer for me.
Synthsense
Very interested in this project, thanks, count me in please w00t!!
flts
I wonder if something is still happening with this project...?
Vcs3
Challenge no. 1: sourcing the right look and feel pushbuttons/keys.
(the three white ones).

pre55ure
Cherry MX pushbuttons. It looks like.

Mouser

If you can find blank keycaps though, please let me know. I've been looking for something similar for a while.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next [all]
Page 1 of 77