Arp 1601 Sequencer clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

kogz23
Common Wiggler

Arp 1601 Sequencer clone

Post by kogz23 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi All,

I got and Arp 2600 and wanted a sequencer to go with it. As the only 1601's I could find were ridiculously expensive and I am too impatient to wait for a "cheap" one I went ahead and built a clone. While researching during building I stumbled across the 2600 clone so thought there may be interest from others in my 1601 clone.

I added an Electric Druid LFO which is nice as it has syncable rate via clock.
Here is a rough video of it

If people are interested maybe I could make a run for these or if some one else just wants the schematics and board layout I used I'll post em or whatever.

Cheers
Al

delayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by delayed » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi,
Yes please post the schematic and layout you used. And maybe tell what issues (if any) you ran into building your 1601.

Thanks for the post.

...looks like your little friend likes the blinking lights and buttons...

netpusher
Common Wiggler

Post by netpusher » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 pm

I just finished my TTSH, totally would be interested if you did a run of these!

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 pm

yep, would probably be interested too depending on what one would cost

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

I was hoping..

Post by adnauseam » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 am

I was hoping this idea would pop up!

Haven't built my TTSH and still interested in the 1601.

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 am

Great. Count me in.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:18 am

yep i'll do one

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:39 am

Hell yes, interested in either schematics + layouts or one piece/set of PCBs if you do a run. Count me in in any case.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 am

Zthee posted a mockup of one he said he might do after some TTSH kits were out the door..
Although who knows how long this would take to appear!?? :hihi:

kogz23, yours looks great though! Nice job..

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 am

Are you kidding? Hell YES I'd want one! (Or two)

I actually have an original one, but it's in need of servicing. Might just be it needs complete slider refurbishing, or it might need more care than that. Whatever, these are really nice sequencers!

Are there many hard to find components in it?

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

WOAH

Post by adnauseam » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:34 am

Luap wrote:Image

Zthee posted a mockup of one he said he might do after some TTSH kits were out the door..
Although who knows how long this would take to appear!?? :hihi:

kogz23, yours looks great though! Nice job..

WOAHHhhhhhhhh plz :woah: :woah: :woah:

This would be so awesome.

edit: not meaning to hijack the post. I'd love to see both come to fruition.

kogz23: you got any more deets?

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:48 am

Ironically, I pulled the Zthee image form another post where someone expressed an interest in cloning this sequencer. So thats 3 people who might give it a shot :hihi:

bookends
Common Wiggler

Post by bookends » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 pm

this looks dope! definitely interested

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Still waiting for my TTSH, but I'd be down for a PCB, or whatever else you come out with. Nice work.
One day I'll get an avatar!

kogz23
Common Wiggler

Post by kogz23 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi,
all the parts were bought from Mouser apart from the dual monostable multivibrator (MC14528) which I got cheap off ebay.

The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel. One answer to this problem would be to put all the jacks on a separate board. If the board was placed at the back then you would have the advantage of having the cables out of your way while using the machine. However aesthetically it would be quite a step away from the original.

As you can see I have not installed all the jacks on the board, still pondering the best solution.
I'll put up some schematics when on the right computer!

Cheers
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Fuck yea Al!!!!
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

steffensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by steffensen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:42 am

Looking real good man! :party:
A 3U version of this thing would be killer!

xpmtl
Knob Twiddler

Post by xpmtl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am

I think the problem is he height of your jacks, if you change them to those it should all be level.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5 ... ckets-x50/

Also the MC14528 is available in SOIC package at mouser :)

kogz23 wrote:Hi,
all the parts were bought from Mouser apart from the dual monostable multivibrator (MC14528) which I got cheap off ebay.

The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel. One answer to this problem would be to put all the jacks on a separate board. If the board was placed at the back then you would have the advantage of having the cables out of your way while using the machine. However aesthetically it would be quite a step away from the original.

As you can see I have not installed all the jacks on the board, still pondering the best solution.
I'll put up some schematics when on the right computer!

Cheers
Al

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm

kogz23 wrote: The only problem I have encountered (so far) is the mechanical design/layout. With this prototype the layout of jacks/switches etc is the same as in the original 1601. The switches I found are lower than the jacks so this will cause a problem when using a frontpanel
Not a problem - switch to the same parts as are used in the TTSH. Solder in everything except the switches, then drop the switches into the holes, install the front panel, flip it and the switches will drop down to the correct place, and solder them there.

kogz23
Common Wiggler

Post by kogz23 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks for the input
I think the problem is he height of your jacks, if you change them to those it should all be level.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5 ... ckets-x50/

Also the MC14528 is available in SOIC package at mouser smile
Yes, they look a lot better. I think you will still have to use the technique that sduck mentions for some of the switches. And if a run is done then I'll change those MC14528's to SOIC. I think there is only one of them.

I suppose the only other thing is the LFO. The one I have used so far is Electric Druid's tap lfo. It is digital, but is very versatile well as having a syncable rate which is very handy when used in conjuncture with the sequencer. Any other preferences for LFO. Obviously I also need to check with Electric Druid whether he minds me using his/her design.

Another thing is that I see in a previous mock up design an ADSR has been added. I am not really a modular hound so I can't see reason for having an ADSR added to the sequencer. There probably is a good reason, I'm just missing it. So how useful would it be, what applications would you use it for.

Cheers
Al

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 am

For the informal poll, I'd be really happy with the ED Tap Tempo LFO actually, I think that's actually a cool idea as far as features are concerned if Tom is OK with using that (I don't see why he wouldn't if you ask him nicely).

I suppose the ADSR in zthee's design was added because it was intended to be an "expander" for the TTSH ARP 2600 clone, which in turn was designed to be a faithful recreation. I guess people had requested to add another envelope to the TTSH and zthee said "no, I want it to be as close to 1:1 clone as possible, no extras or changes" and it was considered a good tentative idea to add an extra envelope to an expander instead.

In that sense I don't see it necessary to have an ADSR in the sequencer, even though extra envelopes are always useful it isn't really an integral part of a sequencer for me.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Synthsense
Common Wiggler

ARP 1601

Post by Synthsense » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Very interested in this project, thanks, count me in please :w00t:

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

I wonder if something is still happening with this project...?

Vcs3
Common Wiggler

Post by Vcs3 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Challenge no. 1: sourcing the right look and feel pushbuttons/keys.
(the three white ones).

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Cherry MX pushbuttons. It looks like.

Mouser

If you can find blank keycaps though, please let me know. I've been looking for something similar for a while.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”