MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Acustica Audio Nebula users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Any Acustica Audio Nebula users?
secretkillerofnames
This article has sold me on checking out this gear sampling software.

A search turned up very little on Muffs - are there any experienced users lurking?
Any recommended approaches / recommended libraries?

chrs
][oyd
Tooths
Best sound itb - I highly totally 110% encourage you to use it.

Alex B and CDS make my favourite packs.

Any questions shoot and Ill try help. Ive been using it for a couple of years.
leeski
my mate put me on to it
very good
Tape simulators are great there is a pack somewhere
lodsb
I used it when mixing my last album in the last stages to provide some "sparkle". very useful, def. worth it.

also, get the other packages:
as a start i'd recommend getting the massive passive (mammoth) and alex b consoles along with the r2r tape stuff. those are relatively "clean" and more of a swiss army type of thing.
the provided libraries are nice as well, got some very sweet saturations out of it that I have never quite gotten from my other (multiband) saturators etc (fabfilter saturn, melda, etc).

imho, its less for drastic sound design rather than subtle effects and that expensive mix/outboard equipment sound.
Stollmeister
Also check out the VVXT plate library. I think that is the most beautifull plate reverb.
secretkillerofnames
Thanks for the recommendations. This track is a jam with Nord Modulars and Pure Data. I used the Melda Space Generator to open up a rather mono signal - otherwise this is the Boeing compressor and one of the Tape effects.

I was thinking of using some Pre's and Compressor emulations to "finalise" my mixes as if they were being run through a desk. Chaining them in Metaplugin seems to work great with ProTools 11. Be interested in some signal flow recommendations.

I've been getting cheap stuff so far (AITB Tube Console, Cupwise RadioFM Bundle and Henry O's AYCE) but I think Snap Compressor, Mammoth EQ and the R2Rs are in my future.

I'm still slightly skeptical that this isn't a distracting money sink though.
It was interesting to read this post and then this post.
lodsb
i think the "19 months after" post is pretty well on point.
I really just use it on mixing down stems (8 tracks max), also because of the huge cpu hit and the incredibly long loading times. however, i also used batch processing for some GB of samples in a project to run certain instruments through certain preamps etc.

I mean, I think the whole point of using it is really to give some slight color variations to your material. I wouldnt use the EQs as go to tools since they take too long to load etc etc. Also, in a busy mix IMHO you need more sophisticated tools than a static EQ or some simple EQ modulation.

so just put it on your stems. TBH i bought 2 variations of everything I thought I needed (2x console, 2x EQ, 2x compressor, 2x preamps), and I dont think I'll be getting more. there are better tools for any crass variations, IMHO. in the end, regarding the current projects i am working on, it really helped - but I also think that the idea of adding fairy dust to everything opened up my ears to a certain level of attention that a final mix deserves razz

some helpful libs are especially the henry olonga signal chains, like a certain preamp+eq+X for a certain type of material. I realized that it always got me some results quicker than dailing everything in on a dedicated dsp chain.
Tooths
Fave Nebula comps are Alex B's 1176 and Fenix. I wouldnt say compression is something Nebula does well but those two are very useable. BUT only to bring down level a little bit. Use them after your favourite vst comp for extra good sauce.

CDS do an amazing Neve EQ pack you should look into, its available as a VST pack too. Easier to operate - great EQ and saturation. Their R2R and Tapebooster+ packs are great as mentioned by almost everyone. Signal to Noise make a analog tape pack that sounds really good too and much cheaper.

If what youre after is good value and lots of different colours consider Alex B's Preamp Colour and Saturation pack - lots of very different sounds - tubes, clean pres, distorted stuff etc etc.

I dont think it takes long to load and/or process considering the sound. Ill happily run about 15 instances on a dodgy PC without hassle. Just consolidate/render as you go. BUT its all dependent on your work flow of course.
secretkillerofnames
So can I run a workflow question past you.
I've been recording some live jams on a Zoom H4N recording the ctrl room feed of a 6 channel Phonic mixer.
My plan is to edit the stereo 44/24 recordings into interesting chunks and concréte them together.
Should I do all the editing and spatialisation first, then run the resultant stems through separate preamp / tape / saturation chains in the mix stage during bounce to a final for mastering?
This seems like the most logical point to add colour but I'm not sure if there are quality issues. I would likely not be mastering with nebula.
Chrs
Lloyd
lodsb
secretkillerofnames wrote:
So can I run a workflow question past you.
I've been recording some live jams on a Zoom H4N recording the ctrl room feed of a 6 channel Phonic mixer.
My plan is to edit the stereo 44/24 recordings into interesting chunks and concréte them together.
Should I do all the editing and spatialisation first, then run the resultant stems through separate preamp / tape / saturation chains in the mix stage during bounce to a final for mastering?
This seems like the most logical point to add colour but I'm not sure if there are quality issues. I would likely not be mastering with nebula.
Chrs
Lloyd

if you meant me:

like that, yes. it depends how much saturation you are working with; if it is only slight sat with the consoles/tapes i think it is also okay to do it *after* the mastering of the individual stems, before summing. esp. the mammoth presets are nice for some mastering touches. otherwise i'd always run anything that potentially fucks with the spectrum before the mix or mastering EQs of the tracks.

always run the plugins at the exact sampling freq of the kernels! i had one project expecially where I wasnt doing that and heard the introduced noise (due to resampling or whatever of the nebula plugin) only at end (and only in that source material), when i was doing the final mixing/mastering and I pumped up some stuff in the arrangement. it really fucked me over; had to re-process the related material from scratch. that distortion is really nasty in the low levels that the resampling introduced - it's def. not something you can treat with simple repair methods.
secretkillerofnames
lodsb wrote:

if you meant me:

You and anyone else who cares to chime in. nanners
I think I have a reasonable idea of how I want to use this but i'm interested in how it works for more experienced users.

Quote:

like that, yes. it depends how much saturation you are working with; if it is only slight sat with the consoles/tapes i think it is also okay to do it *after* the mastering of the individual stems, before summing. esp. the mammoth presets are nice for some mastering touches. otherwise i'd always run anything that potentially fucks with the spectrum before the mix or mastering EQs of the tracks.

OK cool - good to know that general rule continues to stand in this instance.
TBH so far i'm thinking I prefer Nebula as a colouring agent and for effects. I find with panning, spatialisation, EQ and Compression - i've things that do the job better, more diverse. It's more the colour and saturation i'm interested in.

Quote:

always run the plugins at the exact sampling freq of the kernels! i had one project expecially where I wasnt doing that and heard the introduced noise (due to resampling or whatever of the nebula plugin) only at end (and only in that source material), when i was doing the final mixing/mastering and I pumped up some stuff in the arrangement. it really fucked me over; had to re-process the related material from scratch. that distortion is really nasty in the low levels that the resampling introduced - it's def. not something you can treat with simple repair methods.

Yep - i'm focusing on 44/24 - which is partly why i'm thinking of doing this at the mixing stage as I usually track at 88/24.
ngarjuna
I've been using Nebula since like 2009 (was a beta tester for a while but I ran out of time for all that). I use it daily for a wide variety of tasks: EQ, compression, coloration, tape sim, reverbs, etc.

In my experience it's not the SRC that causes the occasional weird distortions; though I've certainly experienced such things it almost always has to do with a complex interaction between the sampling method of the library and the actual program material; it's possible, of course, that such issues could arise with certain sample-rate-versions of certain libraries and not others. But I think it's too cautious and unnecessary to only use libraries at your native project sample rate; keep in mind that each different sample rate for a library often represents a different sampling session (and often a different sampling method to retain as much fidelity as possible at different rates).
ngarjuna
I agree with lodsb that your best bet is to treat with 'color' earlier in the process rather than later. You want those processes and sound choices to be part of the context through which your mix is built.
1pauluzz1
I'm willing to sell my license. I was excited about Nebula at first, until I realized it totally messed up anything close to a creative workflow. I used to think the highest quality was all that matters but I have learned that I will simply not use it if it isn't at least a little bit practical too. I want to feel like a musician, not like a software engineer.

I do see why a lot of people are taken by it.
secretkillerofnames
Yeah i'm settling on using it for coloration and tape simulation primarily.
Going to get the AlexB PCS library and STN Nagra this week.
I don't need to complicate my creative workflow but it does seem to give decent spectral motion and warmth to the more digital effects.
ngarjuna
The Nagra is a great library.

If you haven't checked it out yet demo the VTM-M2 from CDSoundmaster. It's a separate (non-Nebula) VST that handles the compression element of tape, something that none of the awesome Nebula tape libraries can handle. Ideally a 3-stage solution is the 'ultimate' Nebula tape setup:
1. tape library of your choice (for me it's CDSM's Ampex libraries mostly but the R2R and Nagra are equally good)
2. Tapebooster+ (I consider this stage optional depending on how much grit/saturation you're going for)
3. VTM-M2
Altogether it's not the cheapest tape sim but it's far from the most expensive. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole of software tape sim one wants to go...
Tooths
AlexB PCS library and STN Nagra are great smile

The 3 stage solution works and sounds mega super gnarly awesome - good tip ngarjuna!
tilman
I bought it and never use it :-(
It was really complicate for me to instal... Maybe I should give it an other try...
C14ru5
Many of you have mentioned various Nebula tape presets, which I totally agree is a good thing to do. But sometimes that processing takes away a little of the top end sparkle. In those cases, boost the highs with Henry Olonga's Air series. The results are simply amazing.

Oh, and Nebula 4 is on its way, hopefully this year... with one of the features being more successful sampling of compressors (not just tone, but actual compression). And creating VST/AU/AAX compatible standalone plugins. applause
Noise for Fiction
There is also those aqua plugins,they are like many nebula presets in one vst with gui
blungo2
I just bought Nebula 4, I've only started to test out some of the comps, next eqs and pres. No real opinion yet, but it def doesn't sound bad and seems interesting...
leeski
blungo2 wrote:
I just bought Nebula 4, I've only started to test out some of the comps, next eqs and pres. No real opinion yet, but it def doesn't sound bad and seems interesting...

Whoop Nebula 4 is out applause applause
blungo2
It seems not too resource intensive as well. I haven't tried it on a lot of tracks simultaneously, but that's not going to be my main use for it.
leeski
Yeah i use the tape stuff manly with 3 and i'm looking to update to 4
My computer now flies so i ain't really noticed any cpu prob's as yet with this old version.
Hope i can get some of the christmas bonus too.
drowld
Funny that i've been in the business for some time now and i didnt even knew about that brand..
How good it actually is in 2017 ?
vs UAD and the really nice plugins around nowadays
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2