MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MMM going DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Author MMM going DIY
mmm
I just shipped the first batch of VC mixers with the new boards.

They look nice.

Those of you that grouped them with the gate delays will have to hang on until those boards show up.

One of you has to wait until I figure out the 10V thing Mr. Green

Thanks guys,

Mattson Mini Modular
numbertalk
Ok, I haven't tried this out yet to make sure it all fits, but I used Richard's design (thanks!) to squeeze everything into a 1U Gate Delay panel.
mmm
For those of you waiting with baited breath....

The last batch of MW orders have just been shipped. Watch your emails for info.

Any suggestions on what to put up next?

Mattson Mini Modular
pugix
Hey, George. Are you going to offer your VCO pcb for DIY?
mmm
pugix wrote:
Hey, George. Are you going to offer your VCO pcb for DIY?

Hey Richard!

I kinda sorta did, along with the MIDI-CV during one of these threads. Nobody here took me up on the challenge. They're a PITA and require a lot of patience to tune. Well, the hard part is done when they leave here so, all the hard parts are epoxying a 5K multi-turn trim to your panel (that you'll have to source) and tweaking the V/O. Those aren't really that tough but, components age and eventually, you'll need to tackle the tracking.

They track well up to 6 octaves at +/- 15VDC supplies but, there isn't enough current headroom for the exponential amplifier section to make it track over 5.5 octaves at +/-12V

You'd also have to do a couple point-to-point component wirings on the panel components. The board is slightly larger than the others and 4-layers. I just didn't have any room to do the "standard" I/O headers and, there wasn't room for a parallel 4-pin 0.156 power header so, there's only the 6-Pin.

This design is from 30 years ago so, it sports all of the nice idiosyncracies of the good old warm VCO days. Meaning that the tracking is close but, not digitally dead on so, multiple VCO's provide some slight phase roll at various points along the track. Not recommended for FM applications. But, really nice sounding VCO's with a lot of "character". They certainly have a bunch of outputs at various waveforms so, mixing all six of the outputs can make for a real phat sounding voice. Oddly enough, all six stay in sync with each other seriously, i just don't get it

The old drifting issues don't exist anymore just because most of the old drift was due to the sample caps in the keyboard drivers slowly bleeding off. With MIDI-CV's, the V/O CV signal is usually digitally generated and the output value is latched after a D/A converter. Their caps don't bleed off 8_)

I had a guy in Switzerland that's not on MW order a couple in DIY-style. I had to generate a board layout ID and tuning instructions. I sent a copy of the set to Adam-V un-solicited to proofread and see if it made sense to him. Outside of a couple of minor revisions, he seemed to understand it OK.

The Switzerland customer hasn't put them together with panels yet so, I'm waiting to see how it works out.

Sorry for a long-winded answer just to say "maybe". Email me if you're interested and we can see if your up for the challenge. It's a bit more involved than the other boards.

George
pugix
Thanks for the long-winded reply, George. I think the special feature of your VCO is the multiple octave outputs. Flexible enough that you offer two different panels. With more space an output mixer could be included.

I appreciate the engineering problem of fitting a full-feature VCO into your mini format. Have you thought about dividing the VCO into multiple modules? One with the modulation controls, and a second or third with wave shaping? After all, every modular VCO is divided into the oscillator (ramp or triangle based) and the wave shaping sections. You would be able to include a sine wave, taking this approach.
qu.one
Just wanted to share how neatly contained everything comes from George. Labeled clearly, printed documentation in a solid little packing job. Now to assemble... Once my laser is back up and running I'l have pics and audio!!!

werock
Very nicely done. If only the international post would hurry up with my VCF board very frustrating
mmm
You like my re-use of recyclable packaging material? It didn't make sense to toss it.

@werock: All domestic shipments have been delivered. I still have a Netherlands and a UK that I haven't received word on and 3 Australia's that one should be close and two others about a week-ish to two out.

George
qu.one
also notice the pot covers he threw in!
qu.one
oh and i dont think 6HP is gonna cut it. the knobs I wound up getting were larger than my original plan so im looking at 8-10hp i think. still gonna try 6 HP fo the AF1 though.
werock
mmm wrote:

@werock: All domestic shipments have been delivered. I still have a Netherlands and a UK that I haven't received word on and 3 Australia's that one should be close and two others about a week-ish to two out.

George

Something else I ordered at about the same time from the States showed up today, so hopefully my VCF isn't too far behind.
mmm
I should be done tweaking Ichabod today and on my way home tomorrow.

Any suggestions for the next sale?

Mattson Mini Modular
numbertalk
I'm sad to see interest here seemingly stalled. This is some great stuff. My current cabinet only has room for 3 more modules and those spots are all spoken for. Otherwise I'd be in for more.

Speaking of which, I got my panels yesterday. Was planning to bolt the boards to the panels, which are all 1U, but with the tight squeeze, there just isn't room, so now waiting to order a couple brackets from Bridechamber. Plan to get the VCF up and running this week, though - will post some photos when I do.

Maybe you should spread the word to the forum over at electro-music.com too.

mmm wrote:
I should be done tweaking Ichabod today and on my way home tomorrow.

Any suggestions for the next sale?

Mattson Mini Modular
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
I'm sad to see interest here seemingly stalled. This is some great stuff. My current cabinet only has room for 3 more modules and those spots are all spoken for. Otherwise I'd be in for more.

Speaking of which, I got my panels yesterday. Was planning to bolt the boards to the panels, which are all 1U, but with the tight squeeze, there just isn't room, so now waiting to order a couple brackets from Bridechamber. Plan to get the VCF up and running this week, though - will post some photos when I do.

Maybe you should spread the word to the forum over at electro-music.com too.

LOL.

Probably my fault. I had family biz to attend to then, run to Chicago to tweak Ichabod. When I returned I was buried trying to make up time for the 2 weeks I was out. So, I haven't been on-line much.

But, I need to move some stuff. What's next guys? I was thinking the EG.

BTW, for those of you that were asking, I have the VC dual LFO (well, half of it) on the breadboard and tweaking values.

I should be done designing the boards in about a week and putting it in my catalog soon.

Since the VC LFO is the basis behind my sequencer clock. The sequencer will be next to finish breadboarding.

Mattson Mini Modular
sandyb
mmm wrote:
BTW, for those of you that were asking, I have the VC dual LFO (well, half of it) on the breadboard and tweaking values.

I should be done designing the boards in about a week and putting it in my catalog soon...

Mattson Mini Modular

nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners

just what i've been waiting for
ach_gott
mmm wrote:
But, I need to move some stuff. What's next guys? I was thinking the EG.

I'd go in for a couple. Anyone else?
Adam-V
George is just giving us time for our bank balances to recover after the last lot of sales....

Cheers,
Adam-V
mmm
Adam-V wrote:
George is just giving us time for our bank balances to recover after the last lot of sales....

Cheers,
Adam-V

Yeah, that must be it hihi

Mattson Mini Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Page 6 of 6