MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MMM going DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author MMM going DIY
numbertalk
VCF!
Rod Serling Fan Club
I’m curious what the design lineage is of Mattson synth stuff. I understand he (or you if you want to address this question) designed the syntaur and worked with EML in some form? I guess what I’m asking is, in design and sound, what are these modules most similar to? (a recent EML purchase makes me hope they have some EML genes but, I’d just like to know in general)
Rod Serling Fan Club
mmm wrote:

What's the votes for the next one?

Suggestions?

Isn't your "track & hold" a unique take on "S&H"?
mmm
ottobot wrote:
mmm wrote:

What's the votes for the next one?

Suggestions?

Isn't your "track & hold" a unique take on "S&H"?

Not really. It's been around for a long time. My sample and hold does just that, monitors the internal triangle LFO or whatever source is plugged into the external input. Every time the internal clock goes high, it grabs whatever voltage was happening at the source and holds it until the clock goes high again. Rinse, lather, repeat smile

The track and hold function just lets the source through to the output during the negative clock cycle (it's a square wave LFO) then, grabs onto it when it goes high. When it goes low, it lets it through. It's a lot of fun having a rapid oscillator source and about a 3Hz clock. warble-hold, warble-hold.

If, you plug a variable duty cycle square wave LFO into the external clock input, you can adjust exactly how much warble and how much hold during the clock cycle.

The internal clock also has an output jack and that jack buffers and re-transmits any external clock that is used. So, you can have all sorts of weird madness going on, And, have the madness synchronized with everything else you've patched up based off the common clock.

For grins, I added a slew pot to let the outputs slide around if desired.

Of course, you could always crank the clock up all the way and just use it as an auxillary LFO hihi
mmm
ottobot wrote:
I’m curious what the design lineage is of Mattson synth stuff. I understand he (or you if you want to address this question) designed the syntaur and worked with EML in some form? I guess what I’m asking is, in design and sound, what are these modules most similar to? (a recent EML purchase makes me hope they have some EML genes but, I’d just like to know in general)

OK, my lineage:
EML, EML, EML.

My first synth was an EML 101 along with a 200.
Later, I picked up a sequencer with an extra 2x16 panel, a couple of 300's and a Polybox. I still have them all and they still work.

The only Arp I ever owned was an Omni I. Everything else I owned was in the digital realm, Ensoniq, Alesis....

I burned up a lot of time on EML's toll free line asking Dale Blake questions. He was kind and generous with his knowlege and never blew me off. But, he taught me about what was going on with this stuff from an electronics, music and physics point of view.

So, all of my knowlege, nomenclature and design philosophy is deeply rooted in EML land.

I designed the Syntar while using EML circuit modules.. I guess that's sort of what I'm offering here..sunofagun smile

I hired EML to design the Syntar electronics while I fought with figuring out how to make a synth strap around your neck. I drew the panel and said "this is what I want it to do"

Some of my modules are direct (albeit re-designed with newer tools available) clones of the Syntar circuits. (any module that has "Phoenix Series" on the panel graphic is a revamped Syntar circuit)

So, in a sense. A lot of this is EML design philosophy. The other stuff is my designs with knowlege roots back to EML.

I did take all of the stuff I didn't like and re-designed it. I'm not overly fond of 12dB filters so, mine is 24dB etc, etc, etc.

To be honest, my real desire for design is in signal processing and CV control. Now that I have the "basics" out there, you'll be seeing more goodies for throwing signals and CV's around. smile
goiks
mmm wrote:
Now that I have the "basics" out there, you'll be seeing more goodies for throwing signals and CV's around. smile

Shift register please. hyper
Luka
aaron crams envylope pls
mono-poly
mixers pcbs coming w00t
mmm
Matt,
I'll be busy with analog for a bit. I have 8 or 9 more modules I need to design...then, I'm going digital.

Luke,
Aaron cream enveloped pies....
Mmmmmm. (I need to clean my glasses) hmmm.....

Mono-
They're coming. Well, the VC ones are. Expected board delivery on the 16th.

BTW, the VC Mixer sale ends tonight at midnight PST
Luka
Luka wrote:
aaron crams envylope pls

similar to mark bareille's implementation but with looping and cv of all adsr states pls

http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/adsr/mb_cvadsr2.htm
mmm
Luka wrote:
Luka wrote:
aaron crams envylope pls

similar to mark bareille's implementation but with looping and cv of all adsr states pls

http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/adsr/mb_cvadsr2.htm

Cool. maybe I'll try something like that later. Except, I'd put in a VC delay before the ADSR. Maybe make it so each stage can invert alternately. possibly through a specific CV command.......

That would be fun to play with SlayerBadger!
mmm
About an hour left on the VC mixer sale.

Then, we'll figure out what's next hyper
numbertalk
I'm voting for the VCF or Gate Delay - I plan to tack these onto my VCM order smile

mmm wrote:
About an hour left on the VC mixer sale.

Then, we'll figure out what's next hyper
DGTom
numbertalk wrote:
Gate Delay

*fingers crossed*fingers crossed*

grin
wetterberg
the gate delay is like a quad or something, IIRC?
DGTom
oooohhh yeah! it sure is wink

if I understand it... give it a gate, it gives you 4 back at differant times as determined by the pots, yum!
wetterberg
hmm. an analogue shift register would really help fill the void left by Plan B.

But a quad gate delay... does it have a length parameter for each delay too?
DGTom
http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/4x_Gate_Delay

its better than straight gates tho, cos you can set the threshold for any incoming voltage & the gate length follows the input.
mmm
Yes, it has 4 outputs, each has it's own delay setting from 0 secs to somewhere around 10 seconds or more. It's been awhile since I measured them. I've never had any reason to max them out.

At 0 Secs, it can be used as a quad gate multiple or, use it as a pre-delay for an ADSR.

The input level lets you put a keyboard (or any) CV into the input and set the level for the keyboard "split" that you want it to start the delay sequence. As soon as you hit that key or higher, it goes through the triggered delay sequence until you drop below that key. I like doing stuff just below the trigger level and using the pitch bend to bend into the delay sequence smile Running an EG, VCA from each output, you can have it do arpeggiating chords like a triad with some sort of noise patch on the 4th trigger to "hammer" it.
Lots of creative possibilities. Steven used it in conjunction with the VC Mixer to do that "One note Orchestra" demo on youtube

If you just want to put a gate into the input, the gate voltage is probably higher than any CV setting so any gate will trigger the delay sequence without screwing up your "preset" level.

I like using the last channel to trigger the delay sequence on the second (or third...) gate delay. I could do that with Ichabod but, I don't have enough EG's and VCA's to do that in my house system. We literally were doing arpeggios and gate-triggered sequences with them. Leave the sustain up on your EG's and the stages layer.

The level control can get down to a minimum setting of about A0. Below that, the level control triggers the delay sequence which, really makes it handy to set the channel timings just using the level control rather than hitting a keyboard over and over.

I think that pretty much explains it. If you guys are interested, I'll see what my stock is and let you know what I can do to accomodate you.

Thanks guys, what a great group smile
mono-poly
Why a standalone gate delay?
If yo make a cv-ed AR envelope with end gate out you got a gate delay to.
Even with cv for the delay time!
mmm
Actually, My EG has an internal end gate that I use to trigger the repeat function. The level control actually sets at what release level that it re-triggers.
Adam-V
DGTom wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
Gate Delay

*fingers crossed*fingers crossed*

grin

...and toes too.

Cheers,
Adam-V
numbertalk
Do we have a winner?
mmm
OK, gate delay it is.

But, I only have two boards and remembered that I have to cut a trace and install 2 more resistors to lift a diode 0.7V above ground for an input clamp.

Since I have to order new boards anyway, I just went through and modified the board layout so I wouldn't have to put up with that BS.

So, it will be the same thing. I'll order the boards tomorrow but, it will take the manufacturer "two weeks" to get them to me. Silkscreen and solder mask too. smile
@numbertalk- You keep adding on to your order with stuff I have to order, it will take forever to complete it. hihi

Huh, I don't seem to be able to access my site or my WIKI. I'll make it official once I get a chance to get onto my site.
numbertalk
Ha! No problem. Worth the wait to save a little $ on some great modules. So will the sale price be the same? $69 for just the board?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6