MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MMM going DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author MMM going DIY
bf
http://mattsonminimodular.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117
futuresoundsystems
Awesome! smile
johnnymad
applause you can never have enough diy modules! it's good to see another builder getting into kits.
chinard
awesome idea!
Guinness ftw!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.
RF
ottobot wrote:
Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.

I second that!

bruce
pugix
I hope he will include a schematic diagram at least.
redmartian
pugix wrote:

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.
DGTom
ouch! Dead Banana

I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.

'true DIY' ? lol

This way makes more sense as a way of opening up a closed system to other modular users without having to spend 90% of your time assisting people assemble kits via email etc.
mmm
Technically, the cosmetics are DIY.

I'm just trying to open up my stuff for the guys that have a knack for doing that sort of thing.

I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00

I told one guy that the DIY'ers out there range from "doing it all" to drawing graphics on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpee. Or, anywhere in between.

I have one guy that wants a full set to mount in a box and make his own hardwired system.

But, this is what I'm offering after a lot of suggestions. Some people will like it, some won't. I hope more people like the option than not.

G
suitandtieguy
this is great, i'm glad you're doing it George.
CZ Rider
mmm wrote:

I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00
G

Thats fantastic news!
I remember the old "roll your own" adds for Emu, where they sold just the circuit boards, you did the rest. EML did the same, offering little sub modules, very handy. And the start of DIY for me back in the 70's.
Might be fun for me to build up a performance synthesizer out of them? thumbs up
I really like the idea of offering assembled boards.
Thanks George!
sandyb
cool idea.
thanks George screaming goo yo
essex sound lab
I think it's great. Making it easier for people to port modules to other platforms without building them from scratch is an excellent idea.

I wish more vendors would consider this. Or go multi-format as STG has, to some extent MOTM has, Wiard (w/ Malekko) has and hopefully Ken MacBeth will thumbs up.

George's approach is clever, and I think in excellent spirit.

edit: typos
johnnymad
i still think it's a great idea even if it isn't "true" diy. you've got to start somewhere.
ach_gott
Thanks George! applause
fluxmonkey
this is really great, thanks for doing this. hoping this helps make your project financially sustainable. and echoing richard's sentiment, hoping for schemos...

happy new year!

b
mmm
I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun eek!

Please understand, thanks.

G
computer controlled
redmartian wrote:
pugix wrote:

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.

lol
computer controlled
Good thing i have 2 extra 3u cases sitting around. No, wait, three.
JohnLRice
You rawk, George! SlayerBadger! Thanks for doing this!
cornutt
Whoops, stupid comment... please disregard.
fluxmonkey
fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc. so supporting that kind of modification, as well as repair, is the reason behind wanting documentation, not stealing the designs.

the other mfgs that support diy (paul, tony, john) all include their schemos to paying customers only, with the restriction that they are not to be redistributed... that's seemed to work ok, but not perfectly, for them. and i think paul's even stated that its trivial for anyone to reverse-engineer the schematic for anything that's not potted, so in practical terms there aren't any secrets, anyway.

but again, i'm sure you've thought all these thing thru; i wouldn't second-guess you on what will be best for the future of your project, which i very much hope will succeed & grow. planning on picking up a couple boards myself, in any event.

allbests
bbob

mmm wrote:
I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun eek!

Please understand, thanks.

G
frijitz
DGTom wrote:
I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.

Hey folks, don't forget that Bridechamber has a huge selection of high-quality DIY projects, and you can order boards, kits, panels, however suits you.

There are also plenty of free schematics on my website.

grin

Ian
mmm
fluxmonkey wrote:
fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc.

Actually, multiple inputs, attenuators and distribution are kind of what I had in mind for the mixer and buffered multiple. There really isn't room on my panels to do that but, can be easily implemented at the panel level.

Just let me know what you're up to and I'll help figure it out. I'm easy. Sometimes, those are the fun part of the process.[/quote]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6