MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MMM going DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author MMM going DIY
bf
http://mattsonminimodular.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117
futuresoundsystems
Awesome! smile
johnnymad
applause you can never have enough diy modules! it's good to see another builder getting into kits.
chinard
awesome idea!
Guinness ftw!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.
RF
ottobot wrote:
Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.

I second that!

bruce
pugix
I hope he will include a schematic diagram at least.
redmartian
pugix wrote:

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.
DGTom
ouch! Dead Banana

I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.

'true DIY' ? lol

This way makes more sense as a way of opening up a closed system to other modular users without having to spend 90% of your time assisting people assemble kits via email etc.
mmm
Technically, the cosmetics are DIY.

I'm just trying to open up my stuff for the guys that have a knack for doing that sort of thing.

I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00

I told one guy that the DIY'ers out there range from "doing it all" to drawing graphics on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpee. Or, anywhere in between.

I have one guy that wants a full set to mount in a box and make his own hardwired system.

But, this is what I'm offering after a lot of suggestions. Some people will like it, some won't. I hope more people like the option than not.

G
suitandtieguy
this is great, i'm glad you're doing it George.
CZ Rider
mmm wrote:

I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00
G

Thats fantastic news!
I remember the old "roll your own" adds for Emu, where they sold just the circuit boards, you did the rest. EML did the same, offering little sub modules, very handy. And the start of DIY for me back in the 70's.
Might be fun for me to build up a performance synthesizer out of them? thumbs up
I really like the idea of offering assembled boards.
Thanks George!
sandyb
cool idea.
thanks George screaming goo yo
essex sound lab
I think it's great. Making it easier for people to port modules to other platforms without building them from scratch is an excellent idea.

I wish more vendors would consider this. Or go multi-format as STG has, to some extent MOTM has, Wiard (w/ Malekko) has and hopefully Ken MacBeth will thumbs up.

George's approach is clever, and I think in excellent spirit.

edit: typos
johnnymad
i still think it's a great idea even if it isn't "true" diy. you've got to start somewhere.
ach_gott
Thanks George! applause
fluxmonkey
this is really great, thanks for doing this. hoping this helps make your project financially sustainable. and echoing richard's sentiment, hoping for schemos...

happy new year!

b
mmm
I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun eek!

Please understand, thanks.

G
computer controlled
redmartian wrote:
pugix wrote:

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.

lol
computer controlled
Good thing i have 2 extra 3u cases sitting around. No, wait, three.
JohnLRice
You rawk, George! SlayerBadger! Thanks for doing this!
cornutt
Whoops, stupid comment... please disregard.
fluxmonkey
fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc. so supporting that kind of modification, as well as repair, is the reason behind wanting documentation, not stealing the designs.

the other mfgs that support diy (paul, tony, john) all include their schemos to paying customers only, with the restriction that they are not to be redistributed... that's seemed to work ok, but not perfectly, for them. and i think paul's even stated that its trivial for anyone to reverse-engineer the schematic for anything that's not potted, so in practical terms there aren't any secrets, anyway.

but again, i'm sure you've thought all these thing thru; i wouldn't second-guess you on what will be best for the future of your project, which i very much hope will succeed & grow. planning on picking up a couple boards myself, in any event.

allbests
bbob

mmm wrote:
I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun eek!

Please understand, thanks.

G
frijitz
DGTom wrote:
I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.

Hey folks, don't forget that Bridechamber has a huge selection of high-quality DIY projects, and you can order boards, kits, panels, however suits you.

There are also plenty of free schematics on my website.

grin

Ian
mmm
fluxmonkey wrote:
fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc.

Actually, multiple inputs, attenuators and distribution are kind of what I had in mind for the mixer and buffered multiple. There really isn't room on my panels to do that but, can be easily implemented at the panel level.

Just let me know what you're up to and I'll help figure it out. I'm easy. Sometimes, those are the fun part of the process.[/quote]
wetterberg
Hi George; quick DIY question:

On the wonderful little VC mixer, is it possible/difficult to get the individual VCA outputs before they're mixed? If so then this little 80 dollar package is a really neat way to get 4 vcas and a mixer.
mmm
wetterberg wrote:
Hi George; quick DIY question:

On the wonderful little VC mixer, is it possible/difficult to get the individual VCA outputs before they're mixed? If so then this little 80 dollar package is a really neat way to get 4 vcas and a mixer.

Not easily with this board. All of the gain cells are tied together before the final output buffers. One buffer for the inverted out and one for the non-inverted out.

But, I do have a "dual VCA" on the drawing board. It's dual just because I run out of holes in my standard panel and would have no room for mod inputs but, now that you brought it up, I could add some DIY capabilities on my future designs knowing that some won't be constrained by a 3.5"^2 4x4 hole panel smile

Thanks for pulling that stopper out of my head wetterberg! Mmm- this will be fun It's peanut butter jelly time!

<edit> added:
I should also mention that the VC mixer IS 4 VCA's and a mixer. If no control inputs are used, it's a mixer. The 5V for the gain cells are cascaded through the jacks so, you can plug some other control CV into the later channels and control those and subsequent channels while the upper (lessor-least numbered?)channels are still a mixer. It works for CV processing too. The only caveats are: There is no additional modulation input per channel (wasn't room) and, there are only two outputs: inverted and non-inverted. But, the attenuators work nicely for setting max limits on CV's. It's really a handy little module.

Also, I calibrate the outputs to equal the inputs at full 5V CV. But, there's a trim pot for each channel to set the gain that can drive it well into full blown-square-wave clipping per channel. So, for those of you that like to uber-mangle waveforms...you just need a screwdriver 8_)
Morley
Sounds good!!
redmartian
johnnymad wrote:
i still think it's a great idea even if it isn't "true" diy. you've got to start somewhere.

Yep, "true" diy would be designing your own shit, right? This is merely a
cheap avenue to a great sounding synthesizer.
mmm
Finally, the WIKI is pretty much structured and everything that's important is available in the cart.

Thanks to all of you who have been emailing me. This should make it easier. It's peanut butter jelly time!

http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/DIYcisions_DIYcisions
fluxmonkey
really looking great, thanks for all the hard work!

if anyone else is considering doing frontpanels in any of the standard formats, you might consider the ModularSynthPanels yahoo group... a great resource for sharing front panel designs. originally this was set up by MOTM customers doing panels in Front Panel Designer, but it since diversified & includes other formats. would be cool to wind up w/ something like Oakely, with customizable FPD files to go with the different modules.
mmm
Two things that wear me out trying to source so I can give references to the group are custom panels at a reasonable cost, and trying to track down 90 degree angle brackets that are about 1/4" wide and around 1/2" to 3/4" per leg with a 4-40 threaded hole. Actually, the thread really isn't an issue.

I know they exist but, I sure can't locate them.

The brackets I used for the edge mount pix I picked up at Ace hardware. They're a bit big and care must be used to make sure they don't connect up a bunch of traces that shouldn't be connected.
qu.one
mmm wrote:
All of them hover right around $75.00

That is a great price point. Can't wait to have a row of custom MMM acrylic modules.
BananaPlug
mmm wrote:
Two things that wear me out trying to source so I can give references to the group are custom panels at a reasonable cost, and trying to track down 90 degree angle brackets that are about 1/4" wide and around 1/2" to 3/4" per leg with a 4-40 threaded hole. Actually, the thread really isn't an issue.

I know they exist but, I sure can't locate them.

The brackets I used for the edge mount pix I picked up at Ace hardware. They're a bit big and care must be used to make sure they don't connect up a bunch of traces that shouldn't be connected.

These are tiny about 5/16 or 3/8 on each side.
Mouser part# 534-612 (one hole threaded) or 534-621 (both threaded, 4/40).
mmm
BananaPlug wrote:

Quote:
These are tiny about 5/16 or 3/8 on each side.
Mouser part# 534-612 (one hole threaded) or 534-621 (both threaded, 4/40).

Beautiful !!!

Thanks BananaPlug nanners

I knew I could count on this group. I'll have to order some on my next order and check them out. If they work, I'll toss them into the "Convenience Accessories" page.

The orders are coming in. Mostly from overseas. Cool. And a big THANK YOU to all of those guys.

My existing cart (which is currently being replaced) only generates a US shipping fee.

If you're not a domestic customer, please email me first until we get a cart operational that actually covers the details.

Thanks

G
Scottzilla
There's an international shipping option that you can add to the cart that fixes non-US shipping prices.
pugix
I'm wondering how to wire up to the headers (excluding the power connector, which I understand). What is included in these wiring kits?

http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/Wire_and_Cable

What are the part numbers for the mating connectors?

Thanks,
pugix
Never mind. I missed this page:

http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/DIY_Panel_wiring_general_conventi ons

The headers are all 3-pin 0.1" MTA connectors. Now I'm wondering if I want a tool to press the wire into the connector or to just solder these. Sure sounds like I'm interested in these, doesn't it.
hyper
mmm
Phew, glad you found that, I was just going to try to explain it.

The wire kits just have the 3-pin MTA 0.100 socket connector already connected to the 2 or 3 wires necessary to hook up the wire 'cable' to the module (just plug it on the correct on-board header spot-they're labelled)
The 2C or two wire cables are a connector and 8" length of a red wire in pin 1 and a black wire in pin 3. The 3C or, 3 wire cables are the same only, there's a 8" length of white wire connected to pin 2. All of the wires in each cable are twisted together.

The other ends of the wires are just blunt cut. I figured that the customer can determine how long it should be for they're panel arrangement, cut, trim, tin the ends and solder them to their panel components.

Each module page in the WIKI specifies the wire kit necessary to connect the module to the "standard" panel components. It also lists the wires in the wire kit, where the connector attaches to the module board and what component the other end attaches to. I really tried to make it easy. The wiring page for each module also has a link to open it up in a PDF format for downloading and printing.

The wire kits range in price based on how many there are. The more cables, the more it costs. The noise generator only needs three but, the VC Mixer needs 15. For some reason, it takes me 5 times longer to make those. eek!

They're offered as a convenience. People could always make their own.

George
mmm
Oh, yeah.

I forgot. If you go to my cart there's a picture of about 7 or 8 of these cables in the cart. All the pix are the same for each wire kit even though the actual wire kit depends entirely on how many cables are needed. It gets the idea across.

I need to get that pic from my brother and put it on the wire and cable page.
Peake
Excellent. Best results to you! 8_)
Luka
just grabbed 3 filters smile
good replacement for my motm440
D/A A/D
Can the LFO's run in audio range???
mmm
Luka wrote:
just grabbed 3 filters smile
good replacement for my motm440

So you did. What a nice thing to see before the obligatory morning cup of coffee even kicks in.

Thank you Luka. I'll email you from that side of the computer shortly.
mmm
D/A A/D wrote:
Can the LFO's run in audio range???

The LFO's are set to run in different decades. LFO1 runs at a slower rate than LFO 2 with an overlap between the two.

LFO 1 can top out at 12Hz.

LFO2 can top out at ...I believe just off the top of my (still not enough coffee) head, around 116Hz.

But, if you have a particular range you'd like to play around with, it's just a capacitor change. Maybe, I can come up with a simple way for people to attach some caps to a panel switch and just have a range function.

It's actually easy to do if anybody is interested in implementing that. Just let me know when you order.

Thanks all! Mr. Green
mmm
BUFFERED MULTIPLE SALE

I've receive a lot of requests for information about the 4-channel x 2 output cascaded buffered multi's

I have a bunch so, I figured I'd drop the assembled DIY board price in my cart to $64.95 for a week until midnight Sunday 1-24-10

That's squeezing it down as low as I can go so, here's your chance.

They work equally well on +/-15VDC and +/-12VDC

For those that wish to mount the boards edge-wise. I picked up some of those 1/4" angle brackets with 4-40 threads that was suggested to me on this thread and they work beautifully. Thanks guys!

So, if you need a couple with your boards, let me know.

Outboard components that you will need are:
N/C interrupting-type jacks(12),
The panel of your dreams smile
Wiring to the jacks
Board power cable

It's a simple project and a rewarding utility for any format.

Thanks
pugix
mmm wrote:
BUFFERED MULTIPLE SALE

I've receive a lot of requests for information about the 4-channel x 2 output cascaded buffered multi's

I'm planning to order one of these (and a VC Mixer DIY board, too). I thought I would put an attenuator pot on each input. Then I'd have 4 buffered attenuators, each with two outputs. The cascading might be a little weird, if I cascade the output of one channel to the next input, since all pots along the path would be involved. But I could alternatively cascade all the inputs (with the drawback of a 25K ohm load if I use 100K pots). What do you think?

I'd like to be able to distribute precise 1V/Octave keyboard CV with this, if my attenuator pots idea wouldn't interfere with accuracy (probably OK, if I cascade each output to the next input). While on that subject, how precise are these buffers? Do they use better than 1% tolerance resistors?

Thanks.
pugix
Oh, and what is the output impedance?

Thanks,
mmm
Hi Pugix.

If you put the tip of the input jack to the top of the attenuator pot, The bottom to ground and send the wiper to the channel input, it will work as an attenuator for the channel.

Anything you do to an input will be reflected to the subsequent channel outputs if the cascade feature is implemented using N/C interrupting switched jacks. To not use that feature. Just don't hook up the white wire (pin 2 on the associated connector) to the jacks. That's the previous channel feed to the next channel input.

For Keyboard CV's. It's close but, not as precise as I would like it to be. I found a workaround that I implemented in a precision buffer that I haven't made into a module yet but, implemented it on my VCO 1V/octave feedthroughs for daisy chaining them.

These are OK within 4- 5 octaves if you tune the VCO's to unison at the highest frequency. Any deviation on down isn't as noticable as tuning unison low and going higher.

The input impedance is 100K and the output is 1K.

The precision isn't determined by the resistors. The buffers are configured as a hard line unity-gain buffer. The input and output resistors are primarily for impedance matching. The deviation is within the manufacturing tolerances of the op amps. For anything but uber-precision, they do a good cloning job.

Keep in mind that if you hook up a pot for an input attenuator, pot's don't necessarily go all the way to 0 ohms from the wiper to the terminals at either end of the stops. That would affect precision as well.

Did I forget anything?

G
mmm
Actually, now that I think about it.

I really over-designed these things. (My version of OCD) smile

the subsequent channel feeds are also buffered with impedance matching prior to the feed so, you could use the feed to the next panel jack switched input as a third output for the previous channel.

That gives you 4 channels with three outputs each except the 4th channel. Which would only have two outputs.

You could still run one of those through a 1K resistor to the input of the next channel and still cascade them, if desired.

The switched pin of the channel 1 jack goes to ground to ensure that the outputs are silent if there is nothing plugged into channel 1.

As a side note, because of the excess buffering, the parallel loading of 4 input attenuators is negligible.
pugix
Thanks, George. That answers all my questions, and more. Look for my order!
mmm
I found it. applause

Tomorrow is a holiday so, they'll ship Tuesday.

(I already have it ready to go).

Well, I still have to put the address on the box. I'll do that when I finish this cup of coffee. hyper

Thanks Pugix
mmm
@Pugix

I just ran a test on the buffers. (specifically-yours)

Seems like they reproduce faithfully but, due to the manufacturing tolerances of the op amps, there is a 0-6mV offset.

If I inject a DC voltage into a channel at 1.00V, 2.00V and 3.00V, the offset deviation remains constant with each output. So, Channel 1A output may be 0.001V offset and 1B may be 0.003V offset. But, the offset remains the same at the different voltage input levels. I checked it at 5.00V but, my meter only reads into 100th of a volt resolution above 3.2V. So, they all read 5.00V smile

But, 6mV max deviation is around 7.2% of a semi-tone. I think most fine-tunes can handle that.

That data indicates that it should do fine for keyboard CV's. It's just a matter of fine tuning them to pitch.....

Which makes me think I may have to add another six-pack of beer to my VCO calibration procedure and tighten up the linearity on them. :(
mmm
Any votes for what I should put on sale next?
ach_gott
mmm wrote:
Any votes for what I should put on sale next?

VC Mixer! we're not worthy VC Mixer! we're not worthy VC Mixer!

Seriously, I could use several of these and if they had a similar discount, I could afford a quantity. This, in turn, might convince Scott @ Bridechamber to schedule a panel run (since he might have the right number of requests) which might inspire yet more sales. Soapbox Rockin' Banana!
numbertalk
VC Mixer!!!!!
mark_snipz
VC Mixer smile
mmm
Hmmm,

I'm getting the distinct impression that the VC Mixer is leading the suggestions.

Scott is doing a bridechamber panel for this. Let me do some back-door talking with him and coordinate something.

Or, see if there's anything to coordinate confused

Back soon
mmm
OK,

Here's how I'd like to propose this.

DIY VC Mixer package including the VCM1 assembled/tested board with WK-14B wire kit and the power cable configuration of choice (of those available) for $85.50 USD.

That's a deeper cut than I did with the buffers.

The board stock I have is minimal. The boards don't have the solder mask or silk screen but, if you guys want them and I get a minimum of 10 orders, I'll order a batch of full-on PCB's. That will take up to 10 business days to get after I order them.

My cart is having shipping cost issues and my brother is spending his time working on a new cart software so, here's how the shipping works:

I can fit up to 4 boards (w/cables) into a USPS priority small shipping box.
US is $ 4.95 per box flat rate and $13.50 per box international. The math is pretty simple.

I'll even put my old solder on the side and make these with that water soluable stuff to make them prettier smile (Tnx for the heads up Pugix)

This special won't be listed on my cart so, you'll have to add it up and Paypal me to my PayPal account: mattsonminimodular(at)comcast.net
of course, (at) means @

This is Tuesday so, I'll wait to see if we get 10 orders by Friday before I order the pretty PCB's, The special will run until next Tuesday at midnight PST.

If you don't care about the solder mask and silk screen and just want me to get on it, just email me after you placed your order and let me know.
Well, you'll all have to let me know what power cable you prefer anyway. Put that in the PayPal comments and email me. Odds are I'll be emailing you back to confirm.

How's that sound?
ach_gott
mmm wrote:
How's that sound?

Sound's like I'm going to be one busy, happy man. applause
numbertalk
What will the sale price be for just the board? Wasn't planning on getting the wire kits. Would love one with the silkscreen as well as saving a little $. Is the sale just for the board with wires?

Thanks!
Luka
recieved my filter cards smile woot
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
What will the sale price be for just the board? Wasn't planning on getting the wire kits. Would love one with the silkscreen as well as saving a little $. Is the sale just for the board with wires?

Thanks!

I was trying not to do that to see if I could get enough to order the nice boards but, if you just want boards with no cables How's $69 each (just because I like 69 hihi ) But, I'd encourage getting at least two or more at a time if you can. It's just an encouragement. Not a requirement.

I'll let everybody know when I have enough to order the PCB's.

As it is, I have 6 of the others.
mmm
Luka wrote:
recieved my filter cards smile woot

Woo hoo!! proof that gravity works hmmm.....

Enjoy them Luka!
numbertalk
This would be great, if that's ok, thanks! So I might order a couple other boards, too. So long as it's <=4 boards (no wire kits) tack on $4.95 for shipping?

mmm wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Thanks!

I was trying not to do that to see if I could get enough to order the nice boards but, if you just want boards with no cables How's $69 each (just because I like 69 hihi ) But, I'd encourage getting at least two or more at a time if you can. It's just an encouragement. Not a requirement.

I'll let everybody know when I have enough to order the PCB's.

As it is, I have 6 of the others.
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
This would be great, if that's ok, thanks! So I might order a couple other boards, too. So long as it's <=4 boards (no wire kits) tack on $4.95 for shipping?

Only if you're in the US thumbs up

The wire kits will fit in there, too if you do want them.
numbertalk
mmm wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Only if you're in the US thumbs up

The wire kits will fit in there, too if you do want them.

Yep, in the U.S. Look for my order later this evening!
wetterberg
bridechamber is doing panels... so I'm guessing that will be (spit) 5U panels?
mmm
wetterberg wrote:
bridechamber is doing panels... so I'm guessing that will be (spit) 5U panels?

Good question. I know Pugix is having him make some and he mentioned that he was making some. I could have sworn he said something about Euro.

Team up on him and ask, guys. I sent my email. smile

BTW, when you order these, please let me know if you will be using 15V or 12V power supplies.
pugix
I have FPE panels on order for the VC Mixer, and my 4-pot version of the Buffered Multiple that I call the Mattson Distributor. I'll make the FPD files available on my website eventually, and upload them to the Modular Synth Panels Yahoo group.

I came up with a 1U wide 5U panel that uses the jack grid from the standard MOTM format. It's 8 x 2 positions that can take a 16mm alpha pot with 3/4-inch knob, a 1/4-inch jack, an LED, or a toggle switch in any position. I even put small tick marks around the pots. The main problem with these (as all) FPE panels is that they are in the $50.00 ballpark! I'm also building two CGS modules in this panel format. One is done and should be getting onto my website soon, maybe this weekend, with photos. Then it'll be easier to explain this panel design.
numbertalk
Order sent! I can't believe you haven't gotten more orders yet, especially for this specific module - I'm so excited to finally have a VC Mixer in my synth! Thanks so much for making these more DIY-friendly versions available!
ach_gott
numbertalk wrote:
Order sent! I can't believe you haven't gotten more orders yet, especially for this specific module

Some of us don't get paid until tomorrow. Mr. Green
pugix
pugix wrote:
I'm also building two CGS modules in this panel format. One is done and should be getting onto my website soon, maybe this weekend, with photos. Then it'll be easier to explain this panel design.

Here it is:

http://pugix.com/synth/cgs-slope-detectors/

The Mattson VC Mixer panel has four pots in the upper left quadrant and ten jacks. The Buffered Multiple is similar but has twelve jacks.
mmm
I still think that your patch cords are way too organized hihi
mmm
OK,
The VC Mixer sale is ending tonight at midnight PST.

Which takes us to........

What's the votes for the next one?

Suggestions?
numbertalk
VCF!
Rod Serling Fan Club
I’m curious what the design lineage is of Mattson synth stuff. I understand he (or you if you want to address this question) designed the syntaur and worked with EML in some form? I guess what I’m asking is, in design and sound, what are these modules most similar to? (a recent EML purchase makes me hope they have some EML genes but, I’d just like to know in general)
Rod Serling Fan Club
mmm wrote:

Suggestions?

Isn't your "track & hold" a unique take on "S&H"?
mmm
ottobot wrote:
mmm wrote:

Suggestions?

Isn't your "track & hold" a unique take on "S&H"?

Not really. It's been around for a long time. My sample and hold does just that, monitors the internal triangle LFO or whatever source is plugged into the external input. Every time the internal clock goes high, it grabs whatever voltage was happening at the source and holds it until the clock goes high again. Rinse, lather, repeat smile

The track and hold function just lets the source through to the output during the negative clock cycle (it's a square wave LFO) then, grabs onto it when it goes high. When it goes low, it lets it through. It's a lot of fun having a rapid oscillator source and about a 3Hz clock. warble-hold, warble-hold.

If, you plug a variable duty cycle square wave LFO into the external clock input, you can adjust exactly how much warble and how much hold during the clock cycle.

The internal clock also has an output jack and that jack buffers and re-transmits any external clock that is used. So, you can have all sorts of weird madness going on, And, have the madness synchronized with everything else you've patched up based off the common clock.

For grins, I added a slew pot to let the outputs slide around if desired.

Of course, you could always crank the clock up all the way and just use it as an auxillary LFO hihi
mmm
ottobot wrote:
I’m curious what the design lineage is of Mattson synth stuff. I understand he (or you if you want to address this question) designed the syntaur and worked with EML in some form? I guess what I’m asking is, in design and sound, what are these modules most similar to? (a recent EML purchase makes me hope they have some EML genes but, I’d just like to know in general)

OK, my lineage:
EML, EML, EML.

My first synth was an EML 101 along with a 200.
Later, I picked up a sequencer with an extra 2x16 panel, a couple of 300's and a Polybox. I still have them all and they still work.

The only Arp I ever owned was an Omni I. Everything else I owned was in the digital realm, Ensoniq, Alesis....

I burned up a lot of time on EML's toll free line asking Dale Blake questions. He was kind and generous with his knowlege and never blew me off. But, he taught me about what was going on with this stuff from an electronics, music and physics point of view.

So, all of my knowlege, nomenclature and design philosophy is deeply rooted in EML land.

I designed the Syntar while using EML circuit modules.. I guess that's sort of what I'm offering here..sunofagun smile

I hired EML to design the Syntar electronics while I fought with figuring out how to make a synth strap around your neck. I drew the panel and said "this is what I want it to do"

Some of my modules are direct (albeit re-designed with newer tools available) clones of the Syntar circuits. (any module that has "Phoenix Series" on the panel graphic is a revamped Syntar circuit)

So, in a sense. A lot of this is EML design philosophy. The other stuff is my designs with knowlege roots back to EML.

I did take all of the stuff I didn't like and re-designed it. I'm not overly fond of 12dB filters so, mine is 24dB etc, etc, etc.

To be honest, my real desire for design is in signal processing and CV control. Now that I have the "basics" out there, you'll be seeing more goodies for throwing signals and CV's around. smile
goiks
mmm wrote:
Now that I have the "basics" out there, you'll be seeing more goodies for throwing signals and CV's around. smile

Shift register please. hyper
Luka
aaron crams envylope pls
mono-poly
mixers pcbs coming w00t
mmm
Matt,
I'll be busy with analog for a bit. I have 8 or 9 more modules I need to design...then, I'm going digital.

Luke,
Aaron cream enveloped pies....
Mmmmmm. (I need to clean my glasses) hmmm.....

Mono-
They're coming. Well, the VC ones are. Expected board delivery on the 16th.

BTW, the VC Mixer sale ends tonight at midnight PST
Luka
Luka wrote:
aaron crams envylope pls

similar to mark bareille's implementation but with looping and cv of all adsr states pls

http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/adsr/mb_cvadsr2.htm
mmm
Luka wrote:
Luka wrote:
aaron crams envylope pls

similar to mark bareille's implementation but with looping and cv of all adsr states pls

http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/adsr/mb_cvadsr2.htm

Cool. maybe I'll try something like that later. Except, I'd put in a VC delay before the ADSR. Maybe make it so each stage can invert alternately. possibly through a specific CV command.......

That would be fun to play with SlayerBadger!
mmm
About an hour left on the VC mixer sale.

Then, we'll figure out what's next hyper
numbertalk
I'm voting for the VCF or Gate Delay - I plan to tack these onto my VCM order smile

mmm wrote:
About an hour left on the VC mixer sale.

Then, we'll figure out what's next hyper
DGTom
numbertalk wrote:
Gate Delay

*fingers crossed*fingers crossed*

grin
wetterberg
the gate delay is like a quad or something, IIRC?
DGTom
oooohhh yeah! it sure is wink

if I understand it... give it a gate, it gives you 4 back at differant times as determined by the pots, yum!
wetterberg
hmm. an analogue shift register would really help fill the void left by Plan B.

But a quad gate delay... does it have a length parameter for each delay too?
DGTom
http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/4x_Gate_Delay

its better than straight gates tho, cos you can set the threshold for any incoming voltage & the gate length follows the input.
mmm
Yes, it has 4 outputs, each has it's own delay setting from 0 secs to somewhere around 10 seconds or more. It's been awhile since I measured them. I've never had any reason to max them out.

At 0 Secs, it can be used as a quad gate multiple or, use it as a pre-delay for an ADSR.

The input level lets you put a keyboard (or any) CV into the input and set the level for the keyboard "split" that you want it to start the delay sequence. As soon as you hit that key or higher, it goes through the triggered delay sequence until you drop below that key. I like doing stuff just below the trigger level and using the pitch bend to bend into the delay sequence smile Running an EG, VCA from each output, you can have it do arpeggiating chords like a triad with some sort of noise patch on the 4th trigger to "hammer" it.
Lots of creative possibilities. Steven used it in conjunction with the VC Mixer to do that "One note Orchestra" demo on youtube

If you just want to put a gate into the input, the gate voltage is probably higher than any CV setting so any gate will trigger the delay sequence without screwing up your "preset" level.

I like using the last channel to trigger the delay sequence on the second (or third...) gate delay. I could do that with Ichabod but, I don't have enough EG's and VCA's to do that in my house system. We literally were doing arpeggios and gate-triggered sequences with them. Leave the sustain up on your EG's and the stages layer.

The level control can get down to a minimum setting of about A0. Below that, the level control triggers the delay sequence which, really makes it handy to set the channel timings just using the level control rather than hitting a keyboard over and over.

I think that pretty much explains it. If you guys are interested, I'll see what my stock is and let you know what I can do to accomodate you.

Thanks guys, what a great group smile
mono-poly
Why a standalone gate delay?
If yo make a cv-ed AR envelope with end gate out you got a gate delay to.
Even with cv for the delay time!
mmm
Actually, My EG has an internal end gate that I use to trigger the repeat function. The level control actually sets at what release level that it re-triggers.
Adam-V
DGTom wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
Gate Delay

*fingers crossed*fingers crossed*

grin

...and toes too.

Cheers,
Adam-V
numbertalk
Do we have a winner?
mmm
OK, gate delay it is.

But, I only have two boards and remembered that I have to cut a trace and install 2 more resistors to lift a diode 0.7V above ground for an input clamp.

Since I have to order new boards anyway, I just went through and modified the board layout so I wouldn't have to put up with that BS.

So, it will be the same thing. I'll order the boards tomorrow but, it will take the manufacturer "two weeks" to get them to me. Silkscreen and solder mask too. smile
@numbertalk- You keep adding on to your order with stuff I have to order, it will take forever to complete it. hihi

Huh, I don't seem to be able to access my site or my WIKI. I'll make it official once I get a chance to get onto my site.
numbertalk
Ha! No problem. Worth the wait to save a little $ on some great modules. So will the sale price be the same? $69 for just the board?
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
Ha! No problem. Worth the wait to save a little $ on some great modules. So will the sale price be the same? $69 for just the board?

Nope, sorry. $4 less smile

OK, 4X gate delay DIY board is now on sale until midnight PST Tuesday Feb 09, 2010.

The details:
GD-B= Gate delay Assembled/tested board only= $64.95
GDK= Above board with the wire kit and power cable of choice=$80.95
To get it into my head, suffix the GDK with a -6(6P-6P power cable), -4(4P-4P power cable) or a -E (4P-Euro power cable)

So, the full kit with a 4-pin to Euro-style power connector would be:
GDK-E

Once again. This is a MW only offer so, you'll have to PayPal me direct to my PayPal account:
mattsonminimodular(at)comcast.net (at)=@

US shipping add $4.95 for up to every four boards.
Everywhere else, add $13.50 for up to every four boards.

You guys are crazy hihi But thanks a lot!!
I just ordered the new boards for this so, 2-weeks and we'll have pretty new boards.

Oh, yeah...when you order, let me know what your MW username is so I can match up orders with usernames. Tnx.
mono-poly
Does the 4x 1x2 Buffer also buffers cv signals above 5 volt?
I love to use it with 10 volt cv range.
Fidgit
i guess nobody has any doubts here in this context, but i just wanted to point out that george is a really great guy to deal with. thumbs up
mmm
mono-poly wrote:
Does the 4x 1x2 Buffer also buffers cv signals above 5 volt?
I love to use it with 10 volt cv range.

Yes it does. It will recreate anything you feed into it up to a few mV shy of the power rails. It's also bandwidth limited to the capabilities of the op amps so, It sucks for anything RF related lol
numbertalk
Seconded! This is great - sending my payment for this extra module and a VCF later tonight or tomorrow!

Fidgit wrote:
i guess nobody has any doubts here in this context, but i just wanted to point out that george is a really great guy to deal with. thumbs up
numbertalk
Richard, any chance of us seeing the FPD file for the VC Mixer panel you designed? Just heard from Scott and it's going to be at least another 6 weeks before Bridechamber has them - might not be able to wait that long. I designed one but curious to see yours.

Thanks!

pugix wrote:
I have FPE panels on order for the VC Mixer, and my 4-pot version of the Buffered Multiple that I call the Mattson Distributor. I'll make the FPD files available on my website eventually, and upload them to the Modular Synth Panels Yahoo group.

I came up with a 1U wide 5U panel that uses the jack grid from the standard MOTM format. It's 8 x 2 positions that can take a 16mm alpha pot with 3/4-inch knob, a 1/4-inch jack, an LED, or a toggle switch in any position. I even put small tick marks around the pots. The main problem with these (as all) FPE panels is that they are in the $50.00 ballpark! I'm also building two CGS modules in this panel format. One is done and should be getting onto my website soon, maybe this weekend, with photos. Then it'll be easier to explain this panel design.
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
Seconded! This is great - sending my payment for this extra module and a VCF later tonight or tomorrow!

Fidgit wrote:

You guys are making me blush. eek!

If it wasn't for all of you, I wouldn't be doing this. The respect goes to all of you. we're not worthy Clap

Thank you.
mono-poly
Yeah George is awesome!
mmm
BTW

If anybody here has the ba--, er, wherewithall to attempt my VCO or MIDI-CV controller, email me and let me know.

The MIDI is really cool and has some unique features plus, a hidden menu for setting pitch bend up and down ranges independently, mod rate and depth, glide direction, gate number, one-way gate triggering, upper/lower/last note priority and glide-only when multiple keys are pressed. Panel controls let you choose glide rate, stepped (almost arpeggiated-valid MIDI notes only) or smooth glide, fixed time and normal octaves/sec glide and has a handy mod output that outputs 0-5V DC in response to the keyboard mod wheel rotation. The thought being that it can be used to control a channel (or channels) on the Voltage controlled mixer so you can control a CV or audio mix with the mod wheel. The other two outputs are CV and gate. The MIDI can be set to respond to any of the 16 MIDI channels or put in MIDI standby. Pressing both channel up and down buttons simultaneously for >2 seconds will latch the gate on for drone-type operations.

It's not a hard board to mount. It's 2X size of the standard boards and has a ribbon cable connecting the display. The ribbon cable is just long enough to wrab around and mount the display on the back side of the board. I could make some longer ones if desired.

It also has a connector for hooking up a switch to turn your DC power on or off from the front panel.

The VCO is a slightly oversized board but requires some point to point wiring on the panel components, a multi-turn trim needs to be mounted/epoxied to the panel for the V/Octave trim and is a PITA to calibrate.

I would consider them advanced DIY projects. Which is why I haven't offered them.

But, It's a good challenge for advanced people. After getting to know some of you, I'm sure the talent is out there.

Just a thought

George
pugix
numbertalk wrote:
Richard, any chance of us seeing the FPD file for the VC Mixer panel you designed? Just heard from Scott and it's going to be at least another 6 weeks before Bridechamber has them - might not be able to wait that long. I designed one but curious to see yours.

Thanks!

I just got that panel today from Front Panel Express and I haven't even opened the box yet! The style is just like this one:

You can download the FPD file there.

For the VC mixer, there are 4 pots in the upper left with the 4 input jacks to the right. The 4 VC input jacks are on the lower left, and the OUT and INV OUT jacks on the lower right. There are two unused locations. The Buffered Multiple with Attenuators uses the same layout, with eight output jacks.

I'm actually waiting for some Bridechamber 3-jack brackets I'm going to cut down in length and try to mount the Mattson boards to. The boards are just a tad too wide, but I can jerry-rig it.
numbertalk
Ah, I saw you link to this earlier but was confused...should have read more closely, sorry about that. This is great, though - my design is 2U and I'm reaching a point where space is really starting to matter. Thanks for sharing!!

pugix wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Thanks!

I just got that panel today from Front Panel Express and I haven't even opened the box yet! The style is just like this one:

You can download the FPD file there.

For the VC mixer, there are 4 pots in the upper left with the 4 input jacks to the right. The 4 VC input jacks are on the lower left, and the OUT and INV OUT jacks on the lower right. There are two unused locations. The Buffered Multiple with Attenuators uses the same layout, with eight output jacks.

I'm actually waiting for some Bridechamber 3-jack brackets I'm going to cut down in length and try to mount the Mattson boards to. The boards are just a tad too wide, but I can jerry-rig it.
essex sound lab
Is anybody thinking of doing a FPE (or other) 5U panel for the Gate Delay?
numbertalk
essex sound lab wrote:

I'm working on one. Have a 2U wide design but might try to make it work within 1U. Not sure with all those LEDs, pots and jacks, though. I can post the 2U version this weekend if you'd like.
essex sound lab
numbertalk wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:

I'm working on one. Have a 2U wide design but might try to make it work within 1U. Not sure with all those LEDs, pots and jacks, though. I can post the 2U version this weekend if you'd like.

Outstanding!

I was mentally trying to lay one out, and couldn't come up with a practical way to make it fit into 1U, what with 5 pots and room for LEDs. But I have no real experience with designing panels so perhaps there's a trick I wasn't able to envision.

Would love to see what you've come up with.
ach_gott
essex sound lab wrote:

Would love to see what you've come up with.

I agree!
numbertalk
Ok, I'll upload what I've got tonight. It's the 2U version and possibly still a work in progress - just whipped it up the other night.
numbertalk
Ok, here goes. The 4 spots above the 4 output jacks are for the 4 corresponding LEDs. Check the size for the LED holder you plan to use - this is for the pre-built assembly that Paul Schreiber at MOTM uses. The spot next to the Input jack is for the "gate on" LED.
mmm
Here we are...down here smile

Ahhh, the new digs are warm and roomy applause
Luka
got my panel design finished for my 3x mmm filters on a 2U x 5U panel
ill try get it lazertran-ed and baked tomorrow
im baking my living vco panel at the moment

smile

mmm
That looks NICE Luka.

Are you going to use 7211's to switch the output modes?

I originally did that and realized that you can use the HP on one channel panned far..one way and the LP on another channel panned the other way and use the mod input as a VC panning function. It's still LP on one channel and HP on the other but a cool patch.

I'd like to see how you fit all 3 boards behind that smile
Luka
no im just going to use a 3 position toggle set up to pass 3 signals

i use diy stooge-esq panels to mount my pcbs, 2 on one side and 1 on the other
ach_gott
numbertalk wrote:
Ok, here goes. The 4 spots above the 4 output jacks are for the 4 corresponding LEDs. Check the size for the LED holder you plan to use - this is for the pre-built assembly that Paul Schreiber at MOTM uses. The spot next to the Input jack is for the "gate on" LED.

I like it, thanks!
numbertalk
You're welcome. Really wish I could squeeze it into 1U but don't think I can. Curious to see if anyone else is up for that challenge 8_)

ach_gott wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

I like it, thanks!
essex sound lab
ach_gott wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

I like it, thanks!

Haven't had a chance to power up my PC to look (I'm generally on a Mac)...will hopefully do so today.
pugix
numbertalk wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:

There are 15 components on the Gate Delay: 5 jacks, 5 pots, 5 LEDs. Those can all fit with one spot to spare in the 1U panel format I've been talking about.
mmm
I just shipped the first batch of VC mixers with the new boards.

They look nice.

Those of you that grouped them with the gate delays will have to hang on until those boards show up.

One of you has to wait until I figure out the 10V thing Mr. Green

Thanks guys,

Mattson Mini Modular
numbertalk
Ok, I haven't tried this out yet to make sure it all fits, but I used Richard's design (thanks!) to squeeze everything into a 1U Gate Delay panel.
mmm
For those of you waiting with baited breath....

The last batch of MW orders have just been shipped. Watch your emails for info.

Any suggestions on what to put up next?

Mattson Mini Modular
pugix
Hey, George. Are you going to offer your VCO pcb for DIY?
mmm
pugix wrote:
Hey, George. Are you going to offer your VCO pcb for DIY?

Hey Richard!

I kinda sorta did, along with the MIDI-CV during one of these threads. Nobody here took me up on the challenge. They're a PITA and require a lot of patience to tune. Well, the hard part is done when they leave here so, all the hard parts are epoxying a 5K multi-turn trim to your panel (that you'll have to source) and tweaking the V/O. Those aren't really that tough but, components age and eventually, you'll need to tackle the tracking.

They track well up to 6 octaves at +/- 15VDC supplies but, there isn't enough current headroom for the exponential amplifier section to make it track over 5.5 octaves at +/-12V

You'd also have to do a couple point-to-point component wirings on the panel components. The board is slightly larger than the others and 4-layers. I just didn't have any room to do the "standard" I/O headers and, there wasn't room for a parallel 4-pin 0.156 power header so, there's only the 6-Pin.

This design is from 30 years ago so, it sports all of the nice idiosyncracies of the good old warm VCO days. Meaning that the tracking is close but, not digitally dead on so, multiple VCO's provide some slight phase roll at various points along the track. Not recommended for FM applications. But, really nice sounding VCO's with a lot of "character". They certainly have a bunch of outputs at various waveforms so, mixing all six of the outputs can make for a real phat sounding voice. Oddly enough, all six stay in sync with each other seriously, i just don't get it

The old drifting issues don't exist anymore just because most of the old drift was due to the sample caps in the keyboard drivers slowly bleeding off. With MIDI-CV's, the V/O CV signal is usually digitally generated and the output value is latched after a D/A converter. Their caps don't bleed off 8_)

I had a guy in Switzerland that's not on MW order a couple in DIY-style. I had to generate a board layout ID and tuning instructions. I sent a copy of the set to Adam-V un-solicited to proofread and see if it made sense to him. Outside of a couple of minor revisions, he seemed to understand it OK.

The Switzerland customer hasn't put them together with panels yet so, I'm waiting to see how it works out.

Sorry for a long-winded answer just to say "maybe". Email me if you're interested and we can see if your up for the challenge. It's a bit more involved than the other boards.

George
pugix
Thanks for the long-winded reply, George. I think the special feature of your VCO is the multiple octave outputs. Flexible enough that you offer two different panels. With more space an output mixer could be included.

I appreciate the engineering problem of fitting a full-feature VCO into your mini format. Have you thought about dividing the VCO into multiple modules? One with the modulation controls, and a second or third with wave shaping? After all, every modular VCO is divided into the oscillator (ramp or triangle based) and the wave shaping sections. You would be able to include a sine wave, taking this approach.
qu.one
Just wanted to share how neatly contained everything comes from George. Labeled clearly, printed documentation in a solid little packing job. Now to assemble... Once my laser is back up and running I'l have pics and audio!!!

werock
Very nicely done. If only the international post would hurry up with my VCF board very frustrating
mmm
You like my re-use of recyclable packaging material? It didn't make sense to toss it.

@werock: All domestic shipments have been delivered. I still have a Netherlands and a UK that I haven't received word on and 3 Australia's that one should be close and two others about a week-ish to two out.

George
qu.one
also notice the pot covers he threw in!
qu.one
oh and i dont think 6HP is gonna cut it. the knobs I wound up getting were larger than my original plan so im looking at 8-10hp i think. still gonna try 6 HP fo the AF1 though.
werock
mmm wrote:

@werock: All domestic shipments have been delivered. I still have a Netherlands and a UK that I haven't received word on and 3 Australia's that one should be close and two others about a week-ish to two out.

George

Something else I ordered at about the same time from the States showed up today, so hopefully my VCF isn't too far behind.
mmm
I should be done tweaking Ichabod today and on my way home tomorrow.

Any suggestions for the next sale?

Mattson Mini Modular
numbertalk
I'm sad to see interest here seemingly stalled. This is some great stuff. My current cabinet only has room for 3 more modules and those spots are all spoken for. Otherwise I'd be in for more.

Speaking of which, I got my panels yesterday. Was planning to bolt the boards to the panels, which are all 1U, but with the tight squeeze, there just isn't room, so now waiting to order a couple brackets from Bridechamber. Plan to get the VCF up and running this week, though - will post some photos when I do.

Maybe you should spread the word to the forum over at electro-music.com too.

mmm wrote:
I should be done tweaking Ichabod today and on my way home tomorrow.

Any suggestions for the next sale?

Mattson Mini Modular
mmm
numbertalk wrote:
I'm sad to see interest here seemingly stalled. This is some great stuff. My current cabinet only has room for 3 more modules and those spots are all spoken for. Otherwise I'd be in for more.

Speaking of which, I got my panels yesterday. Was planning to bolt the boards to the panels, which are all 1U, but with the tight squeeze, there just isn't room, so now waiting to order a couple brackets from Bridechamber. Plan to get the VCF up and running this week, though - will post some photos when I do.

Maybe you should spread the word to the forum over at electro-music.com too.

LOL.

Probably my fault. I had family biz to attend to then, run to Chicago to tweak Ichabod. When I returned I was buried trying to make up time for the 2 weeks I was out. So, I haven't been on-line much.

But, I need to move some stuff. What's next guys? I was thinking the EG.

BTW, for those of you that were asking, I have the VC dual LFO (well, half of it) on the breadboard and tweaking values.

I should be done designing the boards in about a week and putting it in my catalog soon.

Since the VC LFO is the basis behind my sequencer clock. The sequencer will be next to finish breadboarding.

Mattson Mini Modular
sandyb
mmm wrote:
BTW, for those of you that were asking, I have the VC dual LFO (well, half of it) on the breadboard and tweaking values.

I should be done designing the boards in about a week and putting it in my catalog soon...

Mattson Mini Modular

nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners

just what i've been waiting for
ach_gott
mmm wrote:
But, I need to move some stuff. What's next guys? I was thinking the EG.

I'd go in for a couple. Anyone else?
Adam-V
George is just giving us time for our bank balances to recover after the last lot of sales....

Cheers,
Adam-V
mmm
Adam-V wrote:
George is just giving us time for our bank balances to recover after the last lot of sales....

Cheers,
Adam-V

Yeah, that must be it hihi

Mattson Mini Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 6