MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

LED PATCH CORDS!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author LED PATCH CORDS!!
ersatzplanet
As seen on FaceBook -

get ENLIGHTED - LED Patch Cables
Updated on Wednesday
3,5mm Patch Cables with build in duo colour LEDs and durable see through silicon sleeve. Showing positive-negative voltages. Nice stiffness and feel to the cables. Lenght from 15cm - 50cm with blue, green, yellow, orange, red, purple, grey, white or any mixture of those coloured wires. Handmade in Berlin.

barto
woah! any chance the addition of the LED would mess with the signal at all?
KONTAKT1968
Look interesting is there a link to where on facebook please?
toschek
Wow those are beautiful. I didn't see a price but assuming not cheap. Can you PM me details on pricing? Wish you the best with this endeavor.
jc3music
Want BADDDDDD!!!!!

Guinness ftw!
exper
Pretty neato. I'd be worried about voltage loss though in crucial patching, like from v/oct outs, quantizer a and sequencers to oscillators.

Is there a link?
Nuuj
Hah,

I recall proposing this concept a few years ago on Muffs.
Looks like they could have gotten better results with light piping materials though....
ben_hex
Definitely into a few of these to pepper around the set up. Link? seriously, i just don't get it
kuxaan-sum
These look interesting but I too wonder about voltage affecting or is it effecting... hmmm.....
Nuuj
Yeah these have to be using parasitic voltage which would be a problem for pitch bearing CVs.
One can do something similar with a Div 6 Jackplug and a Tiptop stackable.
ersatzplanet
Here is the Facebook link - it is to Igor Bin's page so if you are not friends with him it may not work.

https://www.facebook.com/igor.bln/media_set?set=a.1399191410361631.107 3741828.100008123563149&type=1

I have no more info than that link I'm afraid. custom made from the look of things.
ersatzplanet
Nuuj wrote:
Yeah these have to be using parasitic voltage which would be a problem for pitch bearing CVs.
One can do something similar with a Div 6 Jackplug and a Tiptop stackable.

Rob

I imagine that setup (the Tiptop/Division6 combo) would mimic the load situation exactly. Make sure you put a D6 jack in each end of the stackable too since there seems tone LEDs at both ends of these cords.
Igor Berlin
Hey, was still working on uploading a video... but you were faster and started a thread already hihi

I tried to find the best compromise between how strong the LEDs light up and how much voltage gets wasted on them... I ended up with a voltage drop of about 0.23 volts.

The silicon sleeve gives them a very nice/ interesting feel, and I think they look beautiful.
Soldering them is relaxing me, so I would gladly sell them to anyone who is interested. Any lenght from 15cm - 50cm is possible and the wires can be white, grey, yellow, green, orange, red, purple or blue. Both wires the same colour or any mix of two different colours.

For pricing I thought €10 for the patch cables and €5 for the PlugLights (similiar to the jacklights mentioned). Shipping worldwide, don't know the exact price for shipping yet, but definetly under €10.
ele
Looks like a chemical lab! wink
AudioFetish
SEXY Lotsa Love
RichMakeGame
love it! colour me interested
sevan
amazing, more lab look than ever woah
Dcramer
w00t
Igor Berlin
made a video. sorry about the crappy quality... best I could do for now.

http://youtu.be/D-snrS9vM9s

edit: how do I embed youtube?
eole
cick on the 'video' button, paste your youtube link, click again on the 'video' button.

that's it thumbs up
they're was a bug in your url...

Igor Berlin
d'oh! ...well now you sorted it for me anyways. Thanks.
charonme
for cables carrying pitch cv you should set it up so that the voltage drop is always exactly 1v so that the pitch drops exactly 1 octave
Funky40
these look great.

my experience with jack LEDs: ( DIY and purchased )
these can affect the sound ! i think in some cases even on other outputs
voltage loss anyway
can make modules bleed into others that would otherwise not !
patching over active multiples helps. Not shure on the latter in this regard.
one should know this in case of a disturbance
JohnLRice
thumbs up
Igor Berlin
charonme wrote:
for cables carrying pitch cv you should set it up so that the voltage drop is always exactly 1v so that the pitch drops exactly 1 octave

I tried all kinds of variations. Using them for pitch is only half the fun, because it's mainly positive voltage only... and all modules which give me positive and negative are not that exact anyway. So I never ended up using them for pitch, but for modulation they are fun and it's also nice to see what's going on with modules, which don't have LEDs themselves. I mean there are threads, where people ask for modules with nice blinking lights and threads asking about nicer cables... and these look and feel very nice. I use much more cables for all kinds of modulation than for pitch anyway. I did some with 1k resistors, and my cheap multimeter (which only has 2 decimals) showed the same voltage coming out as there was going in... and the difference (to cables with no LEDs) was still quite audible, when using for pitch... so it must've been something under 0,01 or 0,005 volts (not sure how those cheap multimeters round up). I mean my doepfer A-138m Matrix mixer gives constant voltage out and the 4 outputs are all different, like 5,9 volts, 6,1 volts, 6 volts at their maximum or minimum value... so yeah I can make some with 1 volt voltage drop, but wouldn't advice to use them for pitch anyways.

Funky40 wrote:
these look great.

my experience with jack LEDs: ( DIY and purchased )
these can affect the sound ! i think in some cases even on other outputs
voltage loss anyway
can make modules bleed into others that would otherwise not !
patching over active multiples helps. Not shure on the latter in this regard.
one should know this in case of a disturbance

I have been using them for quite some time now and haven't noticed anything like that at all. This is such a straight forward thing jack > resistor > LED.. and I like to do things very neatly, I put heat shrink on one leg with the transistor and then again over the whole thing inside the jack... so there is no way of shortening anything, but in that case they would just not work anymore... I guess every system has its little surprises in euroland ;-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5