MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular v.s. Standalone synth in noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

Modular v.s. Standalone
Modular
86%
 86%  [ 50 ]
Standalone
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 58

Author Modular v.s. Standalone synth in noise
D/A A/D
Ok so whats your opinion and why? I myself enjoy making noise on a modular MUCH more than I ever did on a standalone synth. However there are some artists out there making righteous noise with standalone synths.

Demons - 2 x Pro One
Pulse Emitter - home built frac modular
David Scott Stone - Dotcom
Merzbow - Synthi
Emeralds - Moog's
Angel of Decay - Moog Prodigy

I myself am on the fence...

Alex
Kent
Caveat: I am Noob

However, why should one have to pick? Why should one worry about modular vs. self-contained? Analog vs. Digital? Girls vs. Boys? They're all useful and have their place.

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting" -some old geezer
spbaker
hmm.. thats a good one.

out of few standalone synths i've played or owned the evolver would be the only synth i'd give up my modular for, i have wet sticky dreams of DSI bringing out a semi modular version of the evolver (like the XS) where you could physically patch anything into anything or patch it to other modular gear- 4 osc's (2 analog, 2 wavetable), 3 envs, HP, LP, 4 LFO's, distortion, 3 delays, etc, etc.

my set up will eventually be the modular, a mono evolver keyboard & some efx
Cybananna
I just got a modular this year so i have done most of my noise making on regular synths. My modular has much more potential though.

My favorite regular noise synths:

Fizmo
Voyager
v-synth
evolver

For harsher noise I usually use feedback loops with effects more than synths though. I will combine them with synths but the synths are usually for atmosphere when doing this.

The synths I mentioned are great for noise / insane sounds. I have no issues with synthesis method. I love analog and digital. Some of the amazing sounds i've pulled from the fizmo and V-synth could never be made on an analog, modular or not.

I certainly think both are great for noise but I voted modular just because of the multiple layers and complexity that can be made. Also that they have such a nice workflow and interface. So many places for FM and clipping.
Kwote
MODULAR. CV control, the workflow, the layout and interchangeability. the custom work that can be done, patching without programming on a screen, not being able to save patches forcing your mind to work more, the multiple identity's one module can have beyond what it's labeled to be. i could go on for days.

Love the Modular. Love that shit!!!
Muff Wiggler
modular, just more flexibility, can patch feedback loops everywhere you want, lots of specific noise generator modules, etc etc

downside is you don't get the creative push you get when there are LIMITS. also hard to be portable. no patch memory. expensive as all fuck. takes up space. makes you a freak, even your musician friends just don't get it.

but yeah, modular.
D/A A/D
As a side note you guys need to hear Demons, two dudes 2 Pro Ones:

www.myspace.com/demonscool
Soy Sos
My vote:
Modular
Chuck E. Jesus
modular woad...hardwired synths give the performance edge, but i'm looking to fix that a bit with the addition of ribbon and joystick controllers...i'd also like to add mods that give more feedback path access with control ability, i have yet to really tap into this...been a big fan of feedback since i shoved a guit/mic into a speaker, or plugged the output of a mixer into a channel input, i'd like to have the same ability but with more control...
futuresoundsystems
Modular. hihi
pete
Muff Wiggler wrote:
also hard to be portable.

ha! one of the reasons I'm planning to move to a modular system is that it's a real pain in the ass to bring my SH-3s to gigs (used to do it all the time, but it's not easy on the poor things). And none of my hardware synths have any kind of presets.
Kwote
fognozzle wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
also hard to be portable.

ha! one of the reasons I'm planning to move to a modular system is that it's a real pain in the ass to bring my SH-3s to gigs (used to do it all the time, but it's not easy on the poor things). And none of my hardware synths have any kind of presets.

that's why i rock the skb cases. sturdy and portable. i haven't tooken em to a stage yet but i've taken em out for a jam and i plan on setting up a simple 4u case for effects on my turntable.

plus i move too damn often so i've kept that in mind.
criticalmonkey
I go both ways

the way i use my "regular" synths is much the same as i use modulars so there really isn't any difference
i use my computer rig and the rest of the studio the same way too -
i think of midi as just over engineered cv

modular is my philosophy thumbs up
felix
I voted modular, although honestly it would depend on the standalone synth.

I would be perfectly happy with an MS-20 (although that is arguably a modular too).

It depends how flexible the routing is and how it sounded at extreme settings (distortion and what not). A DSI Evolver comes to mind. My last standalone synth was a Voyager, and I could make due with that (although I sold it to fund the modular...so what does that tell you).

I'd prefer something without a keyboard too.
Kwote
yeah i kinda miss playing the keys but not much. i really just wanna keep beefin up my sequencing power. Coffee Addiction FTW
Cybananna
The voyager is great to play. It can actually do some surprisingly "modular" type sounds. The thing for me is that it can play nicely with my modular. of course, the keys, which I don't use much with my modular anymore, (my keyed synths are for using keys) but, the touch surface can send to the modular. XYZ pad for the modular is fun. It also makes a midi interface for computer sequencing.
zerosum
I voted modular, just because anything with a cable can go anywhere, there are no limits.
The Evolver is very similar to having a modular, I have made a lot of recordings with it where the workflow was similar to having a modular there,
You can also chain multiple evolvers together with the poly chain.

Guitar pedals are also a usefull workflow, I like chaining modules and guitar pedals together and processing them with the evolver.
Then filling in the cracks with Reaktor.

I use everything, but still prefer patching cables then digging through menus.
Muff Wiggler
zerosum wrote:
still prefer patching cables then digging through menus.

+ 1bazillion
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
zerosum wrote:
still prefer patching cables then digging through menus.

+ 1bazillion

+2infinity.
Roycie Roller
Geezus, 4 posts in one day (after this i'll put a sock in it). I used to do Noise music & my heaviest record was made on a Casio Pt-30 running throuh an octave pitch shifter (creating 3 octaves) & a Metal Zone pedal. For those of you unfamiliar with the Pt-30, it is basically a toy keyboard. But believe me, the 'Fantasy' setting through those effects was one of the heaviest, most sinister riffs i ever came across! Now i'm making mellower music with more serious instruments (i'm waiting to go modular soon). Anyway, the moral is- never underestimate that pile'o'junk in the corner- almost anything can be manipulated into a seething swamp of sonic insanity!
Muff Wiggler
Roycie Roller wrote:
Geezus, 4 posts in one day (after this i'll put a sock in it)

please, no need 8) there's not a posting limit here! more is better SlayerBadger!

glad you are here Drinking
Roycie Roller
Thanks Muff- it's great that theres a place to discuss this stuff. Being a synth nerd can get a bit lonely in the real world (at least where i am. Lots of cow farmers & loggers- mention synths around them and straight away you're a weirdo!)
-Roycie
chimologic
I think it depends on the style and the situation, both have advantages and disadvantages so just have both smile

I myself prefer use 2 portable stand alone synths for improvised/collaborations gigs (easy to change thigns in the fly, thigns are prepatched with switches/etc) two custom built soundlab synths. Also an analog filter or two.

for 'solo' I prefer to paly prepared pieces on my euro suitcase.

for studio recording depending on the piece I have in mind a combination of things (bigger format modular, doepfer modular, ms-20, serge, portable synths).
D/A A/D
chimologic wrote:
I think it depends on the style and the situation, both have advantages and disadvantages so just have both smile

I myself prefer use 2 portable stand alone synths for improvised/collaborations gigs (easy to change thigns in the fly, thigns are prepatched with switches/etc) two custom built soundlab synths. Also an analog filter or two.

for 'solo' I prefer to paly prepared pieces on my euro suitcase.

for studio recording depending on the piece I have in mind a combination of things (bigger format modular, doepfer modular, ms-20, serge, portable synths).

I was wondering when you would chip in... Chugging Beers
onrust nv
I like using my Kawai 100F with moogerfooger MF-101, MF-102 and CP-251 + memoryman DLX and on the effect out an Ibanez PT-909 phaser and on the dry out a spring reverb + Guyatone PS-007 phaser. I leave the keys alone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3