MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Video Mixer suggestions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video Mixer suggestions?

Ginko

Hello you crazy intelligent people smile Me and my partner are working on an audio visual project using analog synths and homemade or hacked hardware. My partner handles all the visual side of things.

At the moment amongst some other bits and bobs, we are using 3 video mixers, one we built, one ancient battered mx10 that we got for pennies and one that we borrow from the university I work at, an Edirol V4.

The V4 is great for some of the video feedback we do, mostly because of the multi image and mirror fx for kaleidoscopic psychedelia. But the problem is we can't keep borrowing the V4, particularly as we have some gigs lined up at festivals and clubs. We can't really afford to shell out for a V4, the cheapest I have seen them is for around £350 second hand.

Are there any other models people would recommend, or any other ways to get mirrored or multi image effects? We would be happy to an extent with another mx10 or something similar but it would be good to have something similar to those nice fx features the V4 has.

Edit: please tell me if I am asking the impossible!


Ginko

I also wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for improving sticky sliders on the old MX10, electrical switch cleaner perhaps?


tapecanvas

Videonics mx1, Panasonic wj-ave5, sima sfx-11. In order of quality imo, are all pretty popular video mixers. Not near v-4 quality, but it sounds like for what you're doing either would do ya well effects wise..


wcfields

tapecanvas wrote:
Videonics mx1, Panasonic wj-ave5, sima sfx-11. In order of quality imo, are all pretty popular video mixers. Not near v-4 quality, but it sounds like for what you're doing either would do ya well effects wise..


What's your budget Ginko?

MX1's biggest flaw is the lag/delay. Used one once and and it really stuck.
Panasonic wj-ave5 has no chromakey, but the other WJ-MX's in the panasonic lineup are pretty nice.
sima sfx-11 I've never used, but i've heard good things.


dallasboyes

This is fun!


makers

Anyone have experience with Videonics MXpro-3000? I like the two main outputs on that model that I don't see on the MX1. It also seems less bulky.

I'm looking for a used mixer for a live rig in the $200-$300 range. I have a 3-trinsRGB which I built from a kit and I'm very close to getting an MVIP. Combining those with a camera for feedback exploration and some CV from my Eurorack seems like would be loads of fun. I'd like to find a mixer I will not be afraid to try to mod for CV. I see a lot of love for the older Panasonic WJ-MX10 but I'd like to have 4 inputs over two.

I'm also interested in the GPI trigger input I see on the Videonics models. Anyone use that for a gate input?

Which of these older mixers have the best luma or chroma key options?

VX-4 is out of my price range but I do hope to build an LZX system eventually. DIY Cadet looks so promising!


opticveil

If you are patient, you can get V4 for much less than that. There were two V4 in a very good condition that got sold recently on ebay (Europe) for 140 EUR and 145 EUR. It's a great mixer that supports both NTSC & PAL, worth hunting for.


jeffbbz

makers wrote:
Anyone have experience with Videonics MXpro-3000?


I've got one that I scored for free from a school and its a pretty great machine for me. It's got a pretty loud fan and mine freezes up from time to time (this is actually usually pretty great). Mine and nearly any I've ever seen also have broken off joysticks but its still usable without that. They usually sell for way more than they are worth though in my opinion. So recommended, kinda?


evolve

Ginko wrote:
I also wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for improving sticky sliders on the old MX10, electrical switch cleaner perhaps?


Deoxit F5 Fader Lube or contact cleaner should work. If you have any MX10, they are fun. There's a luma key mod online if you are good with extremely fine soldering.


evolve

Ginko wrote:
Hello you crazy intelligent people smile Me and my partner are working on an audio visual project using analog synths and homemade or hacked hardware. My partner handles all the visual side of things.

At the moment amongst some other bits and bobs, we are using 3 video mixers, one we built, one ancient battered mx10 that we got for pennies and one that we borrow from the university I work at, an Edirol V4.

The V4 is great for some of the video feedback we do, mostly because of the multi image and mirror fx for kaleidoscopic psychedelia. But the problem is we can't keep borrowing the V4, particularly as we have some gigs lined up at festivals and clubs. We can't really afford to shell out for a V4, the cheapest I have seen them is for around £350 second hand.

Are there any other models people would recommend, or any other ways to get mirrored or multi image effects? We would be happy to an extent with another mx10 or something similar but it would be good to have something similar to those nice fx features the V4 has.

Edit: please tell me if I am asking the impossible!


Ave-5 works wonderfully and simply but no mirror effects. Trying to remember the name of the euro-clone, something "haus". The MX-1 or MX3000 has mirror effects, but again, it will cost you like the v4. If you want a mirror effect, you could always use actual mirrors cool


makers

I just got access to an older Sony Anycast AWS-G500. Trying to decide if it will be worth the time. It only has a card for two analog inputs. The other two inputs are RGB inputs at XGA and higher resolution.

Edit: I'm going to put this aside. The RGB inputs did work well from my laptop but there are zero effects built in.


nerdware

I got a VMX 400 for £20 + shipping. Top value. It only has 2 inputs and a single TBC but at that price, it's worth it for the TBC alone. thumbs up


f4c3v4lu3

I'm a big fan of my AVE-7. I also have an Edirol V-5 that allows for some fun MIDI interaction! That said I'm probably hoping to sll the V5 and pick up a V4 at some point to save space!


makers

I just got a V-4 for $120 shipped on a "as is, not tested" Ebay listing. I took a chance, it was missing a power supply and a knob. I powered it up and basic tests look good.


f4c3v4lu3

makers wrote:
I just got a V-4 for $120 shipped on a "as is, not tested" Ebay listing. I took a chance, it was missing a power supply and a knob. I powered it up and basic tests look good.


Wow! Great score!


wednesdayayay

niiice cool


evanh41

as space efficient as the v4 is, it's not great for glitchy, textural stuff, lots of dropout, even with adjustment of the video sync.

for far less money, you can get Panasonic AVE-5 or an MX-30. the mx-30 is a spaceship, but its loaded with all kinds of effects, keying and color correction. you could do a whole gig with just that mixer.


moremagic

i just ordered a sansui vx-99 off ebay; its got rca connectors for all channels instead of bnc's like most of the panasonic models available, but there is el zilcho about it online. im pretty excited though!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group