MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pinging filters... can I do with Borgs and Woggles?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author pinging filters... can I do with Borgs and Woggles?

thesnow

Admitting I'm not sure yet exactly what pinging the filters means...

Not sure what or how to accomplish this...

I had to sell my Waveform City last year, but am trying to get a hold of another one.

Is this something I can do with the Borg Filters and Woggle Bug?

Appreciate all guidance, explanations, demos and help

thesnow

Wiardos don't be pingin'?

plord

Yes, you should be able to do this. The Ring mod outputs make a good audio source; run one to each Borg input. For more fun, crossmod the two sides of the Bug with each other, maybe smooth CV out on one side to rate on the other, woggle to disturb, whatever. Then use one side of the bug as the spike source->mod input for each side of the Borg, via the LFO out or the Step CV out for some variation. Borgs set as LPG (no resonance), adjust mod depth to taste. It should bongo away at you quite nicely.

thesnow

plord wrote:
Yes, you should be able to do this. The Ring mod outputs make a good audio source; run one to each Borg input. For more fun, crossmod the two sides of the Bug with each other, maybe smooth CV out on one side to rate on the other, woggle to disturb, whatever. Then use one side of the bug as the spike source->mod input for each side of the Borg, via the LFO out or the Step CV out for some variation. Borgs set as LPG (no resonance), adjust mod depth to taste. It should bongo away at you quite nicely.

Thank you so much! I will try this!

slow_riot

http://www.365patches.com/2012/07/water-percussions/

thesnow

slow_riot wrote:
http://www.365patches.com/2012/07/water-percussions/

ah, ryan's website.

so this is an example of pinging the filter? still not entirely sure what that actually means

slow_riot

That patch is an example of "pinging", which involves putting an LFO signal such as a skinny pulse, Woggle Bug SQR output, or Borg Saw wave into the audio in of a filter with high resonance.

Don't try it in low pass mode on a PA system tailored for dance music with about 4 20" bass cabinets.

thesnow

slow_riot wrote:
That patch is an example of "pinging", which involves putting an LFO signal such as a skinny pulse, Woggle Bug SQR output, or Borg Saw wave into the audio in of a filter with high resonance.

Don't try it in low pass mode on a PA system tailored for dance music with about 4 20" bass cabinets.

Haha, nice! I've done this before! Just wasn't aware this was called pinging, but I get it! Thanks for the explanation

slow_riot

Yeah I was confused too, I originally thought it was putting something into the CV input.

Using an LFO isn't the only way to do it on a 300 system BTW, the technique that Plord mentioned is really interesting, and you can also use the Woggle CV out... anything that pushes the resonance on a filter.

The Mixolator can take this further (non technical explanation.. bunch of cables in and out, who knows where and why), and you can also modulate the LFO signal to change between sub audio and audio rates.

thesnow

slow_riot wrote:
Yeah I was confused too, I originally thought it was putting something into the CV input.

Using an LFO isn't the only way to do it on a 300 system BTW, the technique that Plord mentioned is really interesting, and you can also use the Woggle CV out... anything that pushes the resonance on a filter.

The Mixolator can take this further (non technical explanation.. bunch of cables in and out, who knows where and why), and you can also modulate the LFO signal to change between sub audio and audio rates.

Interesting. Let me clear something up though. You meant an lfo going through a filter with high resonance then striking a low pass gate?

or did you mean an lfo striking a filter with high resonance?

slow_riot

Basic idea is just LFO to audio input on filter, but also using an LPG afterwards might be worth looking into.

thesnow

slow_riot wrote:
Basic idea is just LFO to audio input on filter, but also using an LPG afterwards might be worth looking into.

nice.

thanks guys. fun times thumbs up

J3RK

Since we're talking about Borgs here, which are more or less LPGs using an MS-20 topology, you can "ping" them in the same way you would any other filter or LPG. If you want just the sound of the filter/LPG, you can just send a sharp transient (saw at low frequency, fast attack/decay EG, trigger pulse, etc.) into the signal input of the borg, add a bit of resonance, and even tweak the cutoff slightly to vary the trailing ring. (so, just like you would on any other resonant filter for a similar effect)

If you want to bongo it a bit, you can modulate the CV input at audio rates like you would FM a filter while doing this. You should get some nice percussive sounds.

The other thing you can do is run a waveform (even FMed) into the signal input, and just hit the CV input with a short trigger (or any of the above fast pulses, envelopes, saws, etc.) Then vary the cutoff slightly via knob until you get a ping. This isn't much different than just using an envelope to control it as normal really, but basically you're pinging/activating it quickly with the pulse, and then letting the vactrol's decay create the ring/envelope instead of an actual envelope. The higher the cutoff/offset the more of a ring you should get, until it's just too far open to make much of a difference. (higher knob settings)

Intrigued by plord's idea. I don't have a 300 system at my disposal but will try to replicate it.

Many of the newer LPGs seem to have a separate ping/strike/whatever input to do this stuff. This is just a guess, but I'd think it would be just another signal input, but maybe with a trigger conditioning circuit on the input (little RC network like a gate to trigger or the like) that shortens the pulse of what you run into it. Not sure if they work that way, but it seems logical.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1