MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the DIY cases thread!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78  Next [all]
Author the DIY cases thread!
mr.freeman
I'm currently thinking of make a new DIY case in oder to expand my system so I thought it would be cool to gather some examples from fellow wigglers in a nice DIY cases thread! get on board case DIYers!
just post a pic of your DIY case/skiff and maybe give some info on how it was made thumbs up
nanners nanners
mr.freeman
here is my little DIY 3U skiff, made with laser-cut plywood Guinness ftw!

nedavine
Thats gorgeous. Far nicer than my shoddy effort. Still it was made from scraps of wood and didn't cost me anything so better than nothing.

I've since sanded off the edges and am planning to stain it soon.
mr.freeman
nedavine wrote:
Thats gorgeous. Far nicer than my shoddy effort. Still it was made from scraps of wood and didn't cost me anything so better than nothing.

I've since sanded off the edges and am planning to stain it soon.

actually looks great! much sturdier than mine! nice selection of modules too thumbs up
thermal
The first one is superb, but I'd be chuffed with the second one as well. I am about to go modular and not sure which case to go for... Would be fun to build something like the doepfer case with 3+3U where one row is angled. Unfortunately I have ten thumbs!
ersatzplanet
I have posted these before but some may have not seen them. They are made from metal purchased from www.onlinemetals.com and cut to size by them. All I had to do was drill the holes to mount the rails and end panels. I originally made them with custom plexiglas end panels but then started buying 1/4" thick bar stock (also from Online metals) and now use it. The extruded aluminum comes in many sizes, the two I use are 3" x 3" and 2" x 2" so you can make shallow skiffs as small as 3U but the 3" deep ones have to be 6U and above. I have made both 84HP and double wide 168HP skiffs from them. The handles are rack handles I had laying around. I even made a mini skiff too. Here are some pic:

6U 2" deep with plexiglas sides

Monster 168HP with aluminum ends

Mini Skiff
concretic

Simple DIY case made of plywood ... in 3 hours. Powered by 4ms mini but I need to switch to some better PSU because there are voltage leaks.
kisielk
ersatzplanet wrote:
I have posted these before but some may have not seen them. They are made from metal purchased from www.onlinemetals.com and cut to size by them. All I had to do was drill the holes to mount the rails and end panels. I originally made them with custom plexiglas end panels but then started buying 1/4" thick bar stock (also from Online metals) and now use it. The extruded aluminum comes in many sizes, the two I use are 3" x 3" and 2" x 2" so you can make shallow skiffs as small as 3U but the 3" deep ones have to be 6U and above. I have made both 84HP and double wide 168HP skiffs from them. The handles are rack handles I had laying around. I even made a mini skiff too. Here are some pic:

Those look great. What was the cost to get the parts / cutting from onlinemetals.com ?
mr.freeman
ersatzplanet wrote:

6U 2" deep with plexiglas sides

Monster 168HP with aluminum ends

Mini Skiff

man, this is some fine craftsmanship
mr.freeman
concretic wrote:

Simple DIY case made of plywood ... in 3 hours. Powered by 4ms mini but I need to switch to some better PSU because there are voltage leaks.

hyper so nice and neat
BTG
I had another thread about this but figure I'll repost here (aren't there already a bunch of threads on this?)

http://modularoverkill.blogspot.com/2013/08/building-modular-synth-enc losure-from.html

The gist is that it goes from this:

to this:

And I'm no woodworker by any means. It's not as awesome as some of the other cases here, but going from a pair of Kent Coffey nightstands to 90HP x 12U seemed like it might be interesting to some here.
John Noble
My live setup:

mr.freeman
John Noble wrote:
My live setup:

eek!
ETP
wow wonderfull works!! all of them.
RichyHo
When I was first dipping my toe in the water 5 years ago this month I put together a very basic case using a pine shelf and some drawer handles from my local B&Q store. Very basic but did the job for a while. This picture was before power was added:

ersatzplanet
kisielk wrote:

Those look great. What was the cost to get the parts / cutting from onlinemetals.com ?

The cutting is free and here are the prices for the pieces at the time.

The 3"x3" 84HP pieces (6063-T52 ALUMINUM ANGLE
3" x 3" x 0.125" 6063-T52 Extruded Architectural Aluminum Angle
16.850000 Inches) were $9.10 each.

The 6U aluminum Bar end panels (6061-T6511 ALUMINUM RECTANGLE BAR
0.25" x 3.5" Extruded 6061-T6 Aluminum Rectangle Bar
10.900000 Inch) were $6.54 each

The perforated back panel for a 6U 84HP unit (ALUMINUM PERFORATED SHEET
0.063" (0.125" holes-0.1875" STAGGER) ALUMINUM PERFORATED SHEET 3003-H14
10.000000 Inch (W) X 16.800000 Inch was $18.48

The 2" x 2" 84HP extrusions (6063-T52 ALUMINUM ANGLE
2" x 2" x 0.125" 6063-T52 Extruded Architectural Aluminum Angle
16.850000 Inch) were $6.40 each.

Those were the pieces at the time. Metal prices fluctuate so these pieces will change pricing and they are a local company for me so I picked them up and advised shipping,

So based on those prices and the typical Vector rail price for a 84HP rail, a 6U 84HP would cost:

4x Rails @~$10 each = $40
2x #x# alluminum extrusions = $18.20
1x Perforated back panel - $18.48
2x Bar stock end panels - $13.08

3" deep 84HP skiff for ~$90 not counting shipping, labor (yours) and hardware. I mounted the rails to the extrusions using #4 bolts and sliding nuts in the side slots on there vector rails. Mounted the end panels with the standard screws that always mount vector rails using the middle and bottom slots. I bolted the perforated back to the angle metal with some #6 nuts and bolts I had lying around but the same #4 hardware would fork just as well (and would probably fit through the holes in the perf without drilling.

The metal dil have blemishes on it. It is RAW stock and not anodized. It will age and decay over the years. I like that myself. If scratches bother you, make more scratches on purpose for a brushes aluminum look or have them painted.
filtermod
Wow, great solutions/ideas guys. thumbs up
GGW
I'm still a bit of a newbe here but I'm just finishing up on a "fine woodworking" version of a portable skiff. It will look great but it is taking a long time. These enclosure ideas are great; I this this thread had been here when I began because I may have reconsidered what I am doing. This would be a good sticky for others getting started and photo detail tutorials would be an asset. I can understand the wood ones and like the aesthetic; the aluminum is very impressive but I can't visualize the details. I don't have any metal experience. The aluminum design might be easy to incorporate a lift-off hinge top/lid.
DwellerOnTheThreshold
love
John Noble wrote:
My live setup:

John is this custom made by you? The concept and flow makes the case a piece of art itself! And listening to your sounds simultaneously feels very congruent with the picture. Nice work! thumbs up
Count Edlington
I guess this counts.......Lack's portability though Dead Banana

celestial tomes
GGW wrote:
I'm still a bit of a newbe here but I'm just finishing up on a "fine woodworking" version of a portable skiff. It will look great but it is taking a long time. These enclosure ideas are great; I this this thread had been here when I began because I may have reconsidered what I am doing. This would be a good sticky for others getting started and photo detail tutorials would be an asset. I can understand the wood ones and like the aesthetic; the aluminum is very impressive but I can't visualize the details. I don't have any metal experience. The aluminum design might be easy to incorporate a lift-off hinge top/lid.

For the noobeez, use the MW Advanced Search, there are tons of threads about DIY cases, tons of pics, tons of ideas, tons of info.

I aint bashing this thread, i'm in the middle of putting together a case myself but using the search help S
Randy
Count, that's cool. Looks like it belongs in a lair instead of a studio.

I see that some cases have the module panels flush with the sides and some are inset so the sides are higher than the module panels. Is there any difference in operation between these two characteristics?

Randy
mr.freeman
Count Edlington wrote:
I guess this counts.......Lack's portability though Dead Banana

Put some wheels on It hihi
mr.freeman
[qudostial tomes"]
GGW wrote:
I'm t of a newbe here but I'm just finishing up on a "fine woodworking" version of a portable skiff. It will look great but it is taking a long time. These enclosure ideas are great; I this this thread had been here when I began because I may have reconsidered what I am doing. This would be a good sticky for others getting started and photo detail tutorials would be an asset. I can understand the wood ones and like the aesthetic; the aluminum is very impressive but I can't visualize the details. I don't have any metal experience. The aluminum design might be easy to incorporate a lift-off hinge top/lid.

For the noobeez, use the MW Advanced Search, there are tons of threads about DIY cases, tons of pics, tons of ideas, tons of info.

I aint bashing this thread, i'm in the middle of putting together a case myself but using the search help S[/quote]

Sure It does! I just wanted to make a nice thread with pictures like the "show your Euro setup" but for people seeking for ideas thumbs up
AlanP

Ultra simple.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78  Next [all]
Page 1 of 78