MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 200e with TipTop audio banana cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 200e with TipTop audio banana cables
amnesia
just wondering if anyone has tried the Buchla 200e with TipTop audio banana cables?
cbm
They warn you not to use TiniJax with them:
http://www.tiptopaudio.com/stack.php
neandrewthal
cbm wrote:
They warn you not to use TiniJax with them:
http://www.tiptopaudio.com/stack.php

Why for, señor?
cbm
At the risk of being a broken record, the 3.5 mm jacks and plugs that are used in most equipment today are not really compatible with the .141" Tiny-Jax that were used on ARP and most equipment from the 1960 and 1970s, as well as on past and present Buchla equipment.
amnesia
bummer
infinite7
amnesia wrote:
bummer

agreed, it's disappointing that buchla doesn't play well with others.
gaslampmusehog
I understand the size difference and all that, however if you download the stackcable manual it reads, will work well with tinyjax jacks, but obviously not well with tinyjax plugs.
cbm
infinite7 wrote:
agreed, it's disappointing that buchla doesn't play well with others.

Well, given that Buchla is making modules that still interoperate with modules that were made in the 1960s and 1970s, I can't fault the decision to maintain compatibility, and to stick with what works. The open-frame Switchcraft .141" Tini-Jax are really dependable, the Switchcraft cables that Buchla uses are the best I've used. These standards were established before there were any synthesizers that used 3.5 mm jacks.

Other synths that use the .141" jacks/plugs include:
ARP
Salamander (SMS)
Octave
Aries
and pretty much any US synth that didn't use 1/4" jacks or bananas from before the great analog extinction of the 1980s.
cbm
gaslampmusehog wrote:
I understand the size difference and all that, however if you download the stackcable manual it reads, will work well with tinyjax jacks, but obviously not well with tinyjax plugs.

I wonder about that assertion. My experience using 3.5 mm plugs on the Buchla is that it kind of works, but if you jiggle them they will often break connection while wiggling.

I think that some percentage of people who complain about the jacks on a 2600 are probably trying to use it with 3.5 mm patch cords and find that the jacks are "loose."
gaslampmusehog
For the record, I agree with you cbm, And feel it is a bit misleeding.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1