MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jomox T-Resonator?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Jomox T-Resonator?
Pase
I recently bought a T-Resonator mkII, I've always been intrigued by this device. Now I'm trying to understand how it works, it seem a little unpredictable but you can make good sounds out of it. Tweak it slowly it's better for good results, but all this pots are tempting smile
It seem not a very popular device here, are there any happy users here? Show your love!
I'm still not completely sure if keep it or sell it, what do you think 'bout the Jomox T-Resonator?
wiresandstraps
I don't know as much about the T... But I had an M-Resonator for years that I eventually sold to fund another purchase. I think the T just adds some digital fx to the chain...

I think you are right about tweaking it slowly. It can do some incredible things to bass sounds and percussion. Drastic knobs sweeps just do too much most of the time, and it's hard to be very precise. You really need to find the sweet spots on it. It was both fun and infuriating when i wanted to use it but couldn't find a place for it in the mix.

I eventually purchased a Sherman filter that I am very, very happy with.
soundinett
Have a M-Resonator. Crazy device. Like it very much. Because of its unforseeable dirt or beauty. Its a constant search for a sweet spot.

You cannot use it everywhere. Sometimes it destroys your setup complete. Used it in a live ambient session. It added random noise to the trance like mood. I liked it but I´ve never been invited for another session :-)

Great with 4ms Bendmatrix when wired into a feedback loop. Behaves like a drunken drummachine. Very experimental device. Handle with care.
stk
One of my favourite devices ever. Desert island, along with the just mentioned Sherman.
The digital fx are what make it so powerful - putting delay or reverb in the feedback path can do amazingly whacked out stuff.

The trick to both t-res and sherman is to be subtle with your knob movements (yep), and learn how some parameters affect others.

The t-res sweet spots, imo, reside in the space right before it starts to launch itself hellward - balancing right on the edge of sublime and shitfest SlayerBadger!
tIB
I had a t-res, quite liked one of the reverbs I used to get out of it. Ultimately didnt like the filters that much or use many of the other effects than the reverb. Pretty cool box though, and if it had a wet/dry balance I'd probably have kept it a little longer. Had a sherman filterbank too- never loved the sound of that thing and dont miss it as I thought I might.
suboptimal
Huge T-Res fan. I have two of them. Takes some time to learn how it behaves, so just enjoy experimenting with it and watch those feedback levels (easier said than done). It can go into speaker-shredding territory pretty easily.

One of mine has developed a nasty crackle on a few of its pots, which apparently is not a pot problem but something else (per my emails with Jurgen). Been meaning to get that issue resolved, but it'll take finding a local tech and with a baby at home . . . meh.
stk
It's funny how this same topic tends to resurface every month or so. Tres is definitely a long term sleeper.

A brick wall limiter (plugin) following it makes it a little less scary for live use.
noobyscooby
I wanted one forever and finally got one at a good price and it took me a couple of weeks to get into it. In the end, I used it mostly to give weight and movement to my pads and drones. Keep the movements small and brief and take time to learn how everything works together in the matrix. Haha a little bit of me wants one again now.

Small, easily packable, easily replaceable things are always the first thing to go in my studio when I want something else unless I really love them so I only owned it for about a month. Might buy one again but would buy a mk2.

Don't think about it as a filter like a filterbank or something or as a standard delay or you'll just be disappointed. It's great for modulation and feedback fun. That's where it shines.
Igor Berlin
stk wrote:
One of my favourite devices ever. Desert island, along with the just mentioned Sherman.
The digital fx are what make it so powerful - putting delay or reverb in the feedback path can do amazingly whacked out stuff.

The trick to both t-res and sherman is to be subtle with your knob movements (yep), and learn how some parameters affect others.

The t-res sweet spots, imo, reside in the space right before it starts to launch itself hellward - balancing right on the edge of sublime and shitfest SlayerBadger!

+1 an all the above!
Paranormal Patroler
Actually I found it was fairly boring.
Nevada
Trying to find little places where I can chime in here... I had one of these (MKI) for most of last summer. I ran a Nord Lead into it through a chain of fuzz pedals and the like.

Tone from driving the filter's input stage itself was very nice. I found myself hardly ever leaving the reverb settings in terms of modulation. The delay was cool, but with the modulation coming prior to the filter stage, I found that most of the other effects felt dampened.

I believe the modulation part of this device is the FV-1 chip, so the effects are nice if you appreciate that sort of fidelity.

As far as the feedback opportunities, I definitely recommend a limiter. I broke a pair of headphones with my Resonator, despite having known full well that it was a possibility.

Like a noobyscooby said, it's great for adding movement to pads and drones. My biggest complaint was that it didn't do mono > stereo.
Igor Berlin
don't know about mkI, but mkII does mono to stereo extremely well. it normals the left channel to the right and with different effects settings on both channels you can get very nice results.
also mixing left channel into right and vice versa is one of the major things which makes makes this effect so great
Skab
I have a mk 1. I love it, especially the delays. As others have said, it operates best when just on the verge of cascading into noise. For me, the most effective setup has been to use it in mono but with the 1>2 and 2>1 pots adjusted to give it a smooth internal feedback. This, along with turning the feedback knobs to between 10 and 11 o'clock will give some interesting possibilities. It does take a lot of getting used to.

It is best used as a subtle effect, it can provide masses of extra bass, but it is in no way transparent.. Even with both filters wide open and all mods neutralized it still imparts a healthy does of antique veneer onto any sound.
stk
Yep, I think its specifications confuse a lot of people at first (they did me) and they think oh, a stereo filter with fx, but that's not really the point, it's all about the feedback routings.

I've said it before and I will again, TR is the ultimate ambient dub box

w00t
GGW
I'm hoping that there might be a euorack module version produced. They've converted some of their stuff, right?
tIB
stk wrote:
Yep, I think its specifications confuse a lot of people at first (they did me) and they think oh, a stereo filter with fx, but that's not really the point, it's all about the feedback routings. :

It is, though I didn't find them to be _that_ exciting. YMMV of course.
stk
GGW wrote:
I'm hoping that there might be a euorack module version produced. They've converted some of their stuff, right?

Just like (S)herman, many have tried, all have failed.
Paranormal Patroler
Did Sherman try to make a euro module???
stk
No, I mean many have tried to get them do so. Ditto Jomix TR. Neither seem particularly interested.
scozbor
I had a a mk1. Loved it but found myself mostly using it as a delay, and realized what I really wanted was a more full featured delay. I found the stepped delay times a bit limiting. So I sold it - and have regretted it ever since!

When I hear the few recordings I made with it now (pads/drones) it sounds great! It was a perfect front end on the K5000. A bit of drive, reverb and filtering really warmed it up.

I have always been tempted to get a mk2, but luckily the one I sold is not far away so I can borrow it again - which I need to do actually!
stk
What differences, if any, does the Mk2 bring?
scozbor
stk wrote:

I think an issue with the power supply was fixed? Not sure what else...
Skab
scozbor wrote:
stk wrote:

I think an issue with the power supply was fixed? Not sure what else...

According to the Jomox site:

"The T-Resonator is now called Mark II.
The power supply has been improved and uses an international universal 9 Volts
DC adapter. Noise and hum have been lowered.
The adjustment range of the cutoff has been improved by use of other
potentiometers, and the env amounts work in a new way positively/negatively."
stk
Hmm OK ( I guess I could've check that myself, right?). Never noticed a real prob with my V1. It's a little hissy, but whatever, you don't use a TR if you're going for pristine.

Curious about "env amounts work in a new way positively/negatively" as they are bipolar on the v1 too.
noobyscooby
I wonder if the mk2 is as gritty sounding as the mk1 then?

Thst was one of its more endearing features.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5