stutter (tter tter tter ut ut) in a box (x x x x x)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Bricks
paper kettle

stutter (tter tter tter ut ut) in a box (x x x x x)

Post by Bricks » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm

saw it on matrixsynth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxp4WKefbM

really cool to see this in such a tiny box! I can do this with the machinedrum, but this is REALLY tempting no less.

is a pic stolen from his site. LOVE the artwork too

maybe I should just get a tyme sefari? seems like it could probably do something like this but with more CV fun.

also, the squarewave parade dude was planning to make a frac Downgrade for a while, but doesnt seem like he ever finished.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:54 pm

yeah the squarewave parade has some cool gizmos. it's a good idea to keep an eye on his(?) site. lots of good info and links there too! :hail:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:42 pm

goddamn having a blackberry saves my ass sometimes :sb:

just got the email from TSQ, bolted for their shop.....just four left - POW! ordered 8)

buffer stutter madness, here i come

thanks so much for posting this Bricks....I really dig TSQ stuff, and haven't looked at their site in a while...i would have missed this gem otherwise

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm

as of this moment there appear to be three left....

johnnymad
turbo wiggler

Post by johnnymad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 pm

sold out! :mad: maybe next time...

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:11 pm

damn! i hope there is a next time on this one - i want it!

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:36 pm

failllll just got home. like, an hour after I got the email.
!@#@!!?!?@!?#!@!!

arg.

ehhhh fukkit Ill just wait til the next batch of tyme sefaris and get my stutterjones there. machinedrum uw does this sort of thing similarly anyway.

GeneralBigBag
My codename's Happy Harry, I'm Into CV

Post by GeneralBigBag » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Am I the only person who thinks the stuck-buffer effect is painfully overused? I did a track for a remix comp and I swear I was the only remixer who didn't use that effect...

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:02 pm

oh damn right it's painfully overused!

doesn't mean it still ain't some fun 8)

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:17 pm

yup. as much as I try to avoid production/effect cliches (chorus guitar cheese, verb drums, etc)
Im an absolute sucker for stutter and chiptune tones still. this device seems like such a simple and compact interface for it too..

but yeah. overused, lost its edge, and usually used inexpressively in tunes.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Bricks wrote:failllll just got home. like, an hour after I got the email.
!@#@!!?!?@!?#!@!!
i'm tellin' ya - the blackberry is a lifesaver. the browser on it works well enough that i can (and have) use the browser to go to e-stores and fully complete checkout and paypal etc on stuff like this, literally seconds after reading the email. it's great for those times when you are away from your PC, waiting on a bus or hanging out in a club or something :lol:

seriously has saved my ass a few times on instant-selling type items. i scored all three of the Time Machines i've owned thanks to the instant-reply

love it

oh, and i'm totally with you on loving the glitch, stutter and chiptune cliches. what can i say, i like 'em. i like 4-on-the-floor techno sometimes too. what can i say :help: and yeah, love the look and layout of the TSP - price is right as well!

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm

ive got a gen 1 iphone, and it doesnt have push, but checks email every 10 or so mins.

I remember I was checking the afg pages every day.. then wen to austin for the weekend sans computer, and it was the preorder weekend. eventually wound up #118

so.

on one hand, yes, I've been phone pwned and missed stutterlove. but on the other, its a good firewall for my gear pangs

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:50 pm

Bricks wrote:ive got a gen 1 iphone, and it doesnt have push, but checks email every 10 or so mins.
Sign up for the yahoo.com account. That will give you push (works well for me) or MobileMe. I've got push on both accounts now, it's rad!

Push syncing of contacts and bookmarks on the desktop with MobileMe. Living the dream...living the dream!
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:03 am

will the Harvestman Tyme Sefari provide a similar function?

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 pm

ross g wrote:will the Harvestman Tyme Sefari provide a similar function?
With the right setup of CV it should.

Have it set to non-loop'ed playback. Have some gate sequence (probably one of variable length unless you want each "stuck buffer" to have the same length of time) and have that same gate sequence trigger a sample+hold of some kind to generate a random voltage, which would be applied to the loop start, which acts as a playback offset in non-loop mode.

Of course, it's not quite the same since you wouldn't be messing with real-time input. In my example, you would have to have something recorded already.

Although, if you really sequenced your triggers right, you could be triggering record mode, switching it back to playback and then doing the above. Something like that.

Basically, Tyme Sefari should do something *very* similar, and very likely more interesting.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:45 pm

felix wrote:
ross g wrote:will the Harvestman Tyme Sefari provide a similar function?
With the right setup of CV it should.

Of course, it's not quite the same since you wouldn't be messing with real-time input. In my example, you would have to have something recorded already.

Although, if you really sequenced your triggers right, you could be triggering record mode, switching it back to playback and then doing the above. Something like that.

Basically, Tyme Sefari should do something *very* similar, and very likely more interesting.
i've been thinking of the Tyme Sefari as part of my "next year" purchases...i'm also thinking of a Doepfer Joystick, Ribbon Controller, and Gate Switch mounted in a Beauty Case and velcroed to my midi key controller, perhaps a combo of cv from those could be set up for similar real time action then?...but i like the idea of having recorded triggers as well...mind boggling possibilities!

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I like the squarewave parade, but that stutter thing totally missed the boat for me - but as a stompbox it friggin rules.

Tyme Sefari lets you do sooo much more than that crummy pedal.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Oooh a stutterer and a joystick could be a lot of fun! It'd be cool if you could do the real time thing with the the Tyme Sefari though... like a record pass-through of some sort.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:27 pm

he just made 9 more, 'non special editions'

in an effort to try to give more chance to people (sold out in minutes last time), he is posting them one at a time, at random times, over the next few days. And the last one will go on his ebay listing

so, dig it if you still want one, they are really really fun!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:57 pm

That doesn't seem to make much sense though... If he has 9 of 'em, he should just put 'em up and limit it to one purchase per unique ID or something. Our industry is so small that I'm sure the 9 most motivated peeps would be first in line. It just sounds like an exercise in pissing people off; or generating hype/marketing interest. Both of which are totally valid in my book.

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Wow. That was a brutal 2 days of attempts. But somehow I nailed it and got the 2nd to last one.

and the tyme sefari arrived today!

and my afg shipped!

holy!@#)()@(*$&%(!Y% FUQ )R)@*$_)@#*$_@R

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:11 pm

awesome, awesome and awesome again 8) good day for you!!

congrats 8) the tsp is super fun.

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 pm

ah sadness. my tyme sefari is transmitting signal from a dark dimension of sinister whines/harsh noise. and not the good kind either.

emailed scott. will see what the scoop is.

Ive had weird luck with modules. I got a livewire dalek with a nonfunctional ringmod. my tyme sefari arrived zonked. and my afg was one of the problem ones that needed extra work before it could ship.

I guess its the nature of small-run electronics?

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 am

wow that is crazy bad luck :confused: sorry your TS isn't working, that must be a huge bummer!

I don't know if it's the nature of the beast - to me that sounds like pretty bad luck!!

Now I only can give you my own stats, but anyway... roughly 139 modules have come through here and been used by me. Some eurorack, some fracrack, some yellow metasonix boxes

in all of those, I would guess that 75% of them were bought used

again, from all of them, probably about 20% of them were 'kit built', and the remaining units 'factory assembled'

every one of them was shipped internationally, through customs stops, etc., and 95% of the time through national postal services instead of commercial couriers.

Anyway, in all those, here are the only problems I had -

- One of the three Time Machines I've owned was built (*very well*) from kit, was quite old (Rev. A), and functioned with a small problem. The regen pot made a very very strange type of white-noise hissing around the middle of the travel. I figured out it was not the pot causing this, as the same behaviour happened when swept via CV. I sent it to Blacet repair to have it fixed, and have the unit upgraded to Rev. B. Turns out the problem was the IC that was used for the hi-frequency osc had gone bad. John replaced the IC, and upgraded the unit to Rev. B for something crazy cheap like $25, and even commented on how well it had been built. Blacet repair was crazy insane fast as well.

- My frac Frequensteiner is pretty shady. But the shadiness is in the connector cable. It has a euro-rack header on the PCB, and it comes with a euro/frac cable so you can plug it into fracworld. The shadiness seems to be this cable, I gotta get off my ass and fix it.

- I bought my Agonizer used from a guy on VSE who was selling it as 'broken' for a really good price. He said it used to work, he put it away for a while, took it back out, and it doesn't work anymore. It turns out that the nut holding the power inlet to the case had loosened just enough for the inlet to move inwards.....just enough so that the AC power adapter didn't seat enough to power it. 12 seconds later it was fixed and working perfectly.

- Once I thought I had destroyed one of my EG1's when modding it - assumed I had fried an IC, then assumed I had fried a bunch more.... so I ordered all replacement ICs from DigiKey, waited, installed them, - STILL FUCKED UP :x Then I took a deep breath and looked closer and realized I had a drop of solder/rosin/shit on the PCB from when I was modding that was bridging some traces. Also realized I was an idiot.

so, that's the only issues I've had in 139 modules. I think that's pretty good, don't know if it is average, and hope I'm not jinxing myself by calling out such good luck :oops:
Last edited by Muff Wiggler on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 pm

holy shit, the ebay one went for $350

Return to “General Gear”