MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Leaving Euro for Buchla Easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Leaving Euro for Buchla Easel
orangehexagon
I've been debating for the past month whether or not to sell my 9U+ of eurorack to buy a Buchla Music Easel.

I was wondering if anyone has sold off all their eurorack to buy an easel and what your experience was.... did you regret it? how much do you miss the eurorack? I would love to keep my eurorack and buy an easel but i realllly cannot afford to do that.

I like the idea of the Easel as a self-contained instrument that I can really learn the ins and outs of. It would prevent me from constantly buying / selling / trading modules and never really finishing songs or learning the system as a whole really well...

On the other hand, Eurorack has more variety.

That Buchla sound tho!
weinglas
You should not buy the Easel because of the Buchla sound, because you can come close to the sound with eurorack modules.

The Easel is all about a nearly perfect designed semimodular performance synth in a suitcase that you can take easily with you wherever you go. Another big pro is the preset memory via iPad, when it will be available.

The big pro for eirorack is that it us much more versatile. You may miss all those cool digital modules wink
elmerfudd
weinglas wrote:
You should not buy the Easel because of the Buchla sound, because you can come close to the sound with eurorack modules.

The Easel is all about a nearly perfect designed semimodular performance synth in a suitcase that you can take easily with you wherever you go. Another big pro is the preset memory via iPad, when it will be available.

The big pro for eirorack is that it us much more versatile. You may miss all those cool digital modules wink

AMEN! Ditch the euro for now, you can gradually rebuild one with modules that have synergy with the Easel.
ws9848
I left euro for buchla but not just for the easel though. I don't regret it! I guess it depends on what you want to do but the only thing I really miss is the euro sampling modules. maybe someone has an easel you could play with before you sell off everything.
opsysbug
elmerfudd wrote:
weinglas wrote:

AMEN! Ditch the euro for now, you can gradually rebuild one with modules that have synergy with the Easel.

Yea I think so too. Easel is wonderful and will certainly fill your time until you
can build up a small system of euro to complement it! Be prepared to what a little though for it to arrive!
incekt
I had 12u of euro and sold it to get an easel. Sold the easel, now I'm at a 201e-18... What the hell? seriously, i just don't get it
prscrptn
incekt wrote:
I had 12u of euro and sold it to get an easel. Sold the easel, now I'm at a 201e-18... What the hell? seriously, i just don't get it

Modular Junkie, (LOL)! zombie

FS: (US/WW) Buchla 200e
FS: (US/WW) Make Noise/Monorocket 6u (208hp) case
jido_genshi
Hi all,

New to the forum. I came here because I've been wanting to delve into the modular (or even semi-modular) world and have been lusting after the Easel, but am also curious about the Make Noise Shared System (with CV bus).

Both roughly the same price, the Shared System is probably more versatile, but the Easel just has me drooling. I'm usually pretty good at researching and making a decision like this on my own, but I am really having a hard time deciding which to get.

Any thoughts between these to setups is greatly appreciated (I tried searching the forums, but of course it wouldn't let me without making an initial post.)
ersatzplanet
The idea is that these modular systems will work together with some adjusting (levels, patch cords, and CV/oct of course) so the thing to do would be:

Sell the Euro to buy the Easel.

Buy/make a small skiff to go with the Easel and buy what modules you miss.

Plug them together and wiggle.

There is NO reason other than money (the biggest one of course) that you can't use both systems together. I would only sell the Euro first for a big influx of cash to get over the "buying the Easel" hurdle.
orangehexagon
Thanks for all the input so far. Really appreciate it.

Does anyone in the Chicagoland area have an easel they wouldn't mind me trying out? I can compensate with beer or something. Guinness ftw!
I had originally intended to get back into modular with an Easel, orderred one, got fed up with the wait time, bought a serge panel + DIY panel with the money i got back, sold that, went euro, sold that to get a full 18 unit case, sold that for a 6 panel serge, now thinking about buying an Easel this week! hihi

All full circle, modular is madness. It gets worse and worse. But it really matters the ergonomics you're after, or even what type of stuff. I envision the Easel has the best of the Buchla modules that one would want in a system(I really dont see anything else I'd really want module wise in Buchla...)

I would go for it, why not? they're pretty good value and people seem to be loving theres Rockin' Banana!
orangehexagon
Haha that's quite the journey. Yeah I'm hoping to tame the madness and just work on making better music. I'm a gear nut at the core... that will never change... I just need to tame the madness.

I love how the easel is a self-contained instrument. It's going to be so hard to let go of my euro system Dead Banana
amnesia
I sold my complete euro system to get a 2012 EMS Synthi, I had owned 3 of them before over the years but the Synthi and Easel combo is killer!

I felt a relief after I got rid of my euro, there is a stress there I didnt know was there. Too much to keep up with in euro.

Saying that I am going to just get some cv and lfo modules, or just buy the Synovatron Buchla to euro converters again and get a Matrix box for Synthi.
noobyscooby
You'll always be second guessing your euro system until you try the easel.

Unless you can try one out where you live you probably wont be happy until you buy one.

Sound-wise, patch-wise you can get really similar results in euro and other formats. Everything has been cloned, refined, rethought ad infinitum now

But there is comfort in just having an insturment in front of you. Youre not worried about breaking it up into a bunch of pieces, youre not worried if replacing your VCA with one of 40 other available VCAs will make everything sound better and complete your existence.

You buy it. You play it and if you dont like it you can just sell it off and go back to euro. Or any other format.

Over time i just grew to legitimately hate euro. I hated the cases, the connectors, the cables (one module would come with a 4 inch cable, another module would have an 18 inch one). Faceplates, youd never be able to arrange the modules exactly how you wanted to. And once you dont like something you keep looking for things not to like...

The build on some things, the designs on other things, buggy features on others, lots of things were never happy with each other and required a lot of tweaking and attenaution and then you still couldnt get them to do as advertised. I had 33U at my height of euro and wasn't happy. Things are just flying to you and out to other people from you all the time. Constant mail and tracking number stress. Too much choice, too much annoyance and a lot of the things in euro that you cant find in other formats i quite frankly found that i dont even like them and would never use them.

I sold all my euro for Serge and Modcan A. Have the Serge panel still and about 80% of the Modcan A.

About two years ago i decided to try euro again. I focused on cv tools, drum modules and voltage controllable effects. Nope still hated everything from before and didnt really like any of the effects save for the doepfer spring reverb. Got to almost 6u before i sold it all off again last year and bought more studio stuff.

I like bananas, if everything could be bananafied thatd be great by me. I have one rack of esoteric MOTM and about 9U of frac now but thats as far as i go non-banana. Plus all of the monos that interact have jacks.

I cant wait to try my "easel". Right behind me i have a 208r waiting for a boat and cant wait to give it a go. Have watched plenty of videos and its bananas so i know i will love it. Like serge and modcan a it seems to pack a lot into a very small space. Finally going With some "Buchla" hopefully i dont fall to deep down its well. Its crazy expensive.
ws9848
@noobyscooby I know what you mean. I think that's why I always like the single manufacturer euro set ups but I guess it doesn't matter anymore.
synthiaks
I don't own any euro, but have some other modular stuff...I can highly recommend the Easel as a wonderful self contained system, not even a moment of regret about getting one and the year long wait was a pain, but at least i learned some patience.
analogueheart
I am fortunate enough to have a 12u euro set up and a music easel.
I love the euro system, but i think there is something that the easel has that
is so much fun to play.
IMHO, its hard to say what i would sell.
IF i were starting out, i would probably do the music easel with a boat of buchla modules/clones
trax
orangehexagon wrote:

Does anyone in the Chicagoland area have an easel they wouldn't mind me trying out? I can compensate with beer or something. Guinness ftw!

Yes. I like to share. You bring me beer and a copy of you state I.D. with current address and I will give you my easel for a few days. My secret location is near the Chinatown redline in the 3rd ward. PM me.
moog55
*comment deleted*
darmklacht@gmail.com
Is there anyone else who has done this or is still considering it?
This question has been bugging me for over a year now. I have a nice euro setup and a couple of semi modulars, If I sell it all I would be able to afford the easel. I would be giving up on a lot of flexibility but will be gaining alot of immediateness. Back then I decieded against it because I was having fun as it was and I thought why change it then?

The thing is Ive got a kid now and she eats alot of my free time (not complaining), and playing the euro always feels too elaborate for those few stolen moments of the day so I end up sitting at my GF's piano instead. I feel I would play more synth If I had something more emmidiate but I'm really scared I might regret it.
How does anyone else deal with little wiggle time?
arnoux
darmklacht@gmail.com wrote:
Is there anyone else who has done this or is still considering it?

I'm considering this very same move all the time, I really like the ergonomic factor on the Easel, its being a complete and finished instrument.. it's cohesive, it looks great, you can move it easily from place to place in your house.
The things that stop me now on buying one are the factory quality control and BEMI vs. Don story on which honestly I've now lost track and of which I did not understand the details. This situation put me on a bit of anxiety, it stops me from buying with confidence, hope everything will soon turn well for everybody, the company, Don and costomers.

Another option on a similar price range that appeals me a lot is the Serge Animal, different beast for sure but it shares a couple of things with the Easel I really like: very compact size, basically complete/finished, banana plugs, cohesive design,

but I'm derailing the thread sorry..
SculptorOfSound
@darmklacht: I'm like you, but I got in to Buchla after my second child. I thought I was starting to get some time back (fooling myself), so I wanted to jump into modular. I have no euro and wanted to go to Buchla straight away. I hemmed and hawed about whether to go with the Easel and wait a year (at the time, but now it's much quick from what Alex @Buchla told me) or jump right in to the 200e stuff knowing I wanted to grow a system of sound. I ended-up going with 200e, sat on the modules for almost a year until I could find a Skylab case used here on Muff's and then once I got those first four modules in place, I wanted more. Now, I have an 11 module system spread-out over the Skylab and a 6u passive boat. I love it!!!! From my research and reading lots of posts here, was that the Easel has a cool, but limited sound palette - eventually I'd want to get in to the 200e. At some point, I still want to get one, because I do think it has a lot of value with all the options that are in that kit.

If they had it at the time, I'd get the Easel with the 223e in it. I have that in my system and it really allows one the immediacy (well, almost, you have to program it a bit) everyone wants out of their system, but with so much more to offer than a keyboard or touch plate.

But now, I've been acquiring lots more keyboards (vintage and new) and effects pedals to give me even more immediacy in writing, because I still don't have much time to play.

Someone I met recently, who has a crap-load of gear, said, "you know, you go through phases where you might be in to vintage and then you might be in to FM or just certain types of sounds." I think he's right and someday you may come back to your Euro and the love affair and time will be there to make sounds with it again. but I guess if resources are strapped and you can't get anything else, maybe you have no choice. But I'm not sure I'd want my children around anything that had cables sticking out of it. They won't leave you alone once they see it.
Third time going back to Easel, hopefully it is a charm.

I will share my experience with buchla, serge, bugbrand, modcan, euro , over the last 2 or 3 years.

Serge, Buchla, Bugbrand:

You are always going to wish you had just 1 module that could accomplish your goal, whether it be a clock divider, a quantizer or an ADSR that is dirt cheap in euro but expensive or hard to get in serge/bug/buchla format.

Easel:

You will enjoy the cohesiveness, but I am willing to bet coming from Euro you will get bored shortly. IT is an extremely simple instrument. Selling a nice rig to reduce complexity is nice, but you can also simply mix and swap euro modules to have a less complex system.
Kaput
Taken at face value, the Easel is a simple instrument - or so I thought. Working with it, I have found worlds of sound just waiting in there. It's actually a very versatile and well thought out instrument.

If you're looking for a balance of immediacy and experimentation, the Easel is an excellent choice. thumbs up
Cobramatic
Here is my 2 cents on the topic: I started with Euro – lusted after an Easel and then finally said ‘to hell with the cost and delivery issues’ and got one.
It is certainly true that you can achieve the same ‘functionality’ in Euro – but if you carefully add up all the parts - I found, at the time, that Euro WAS more expensive – and without the single elegance of the Easel.
That said – the equivalent in Euro generally ends up with slightly more patchability. But that ‘sound’ of the easel is unmistakable. Make Noise, Verbos and Sputnik modules (among others) can give you a very similar sound no doubt, but the combination of that specific waveshaping and vactoral LPG’s is what really does it.

I also firmly believe that the workflow and patching layout on the Easel (both via the 208 and 218 keyboard section) effect the way you tend to ‘play’ the instrument, and that’s the basic difference – The Easel is like a single Instrument that does have the easy option for integration with other systems, whereas a modular itself is an ever expandable system.

I do actually cross patch between Easel and Euro as well as other Buchla all the time – it works very well once you take the differences of Pulses and voltage levels into consideration.
Therefore if you get an Easel you will almost certainly start to add to it over time (your budget being the real determining factor!) – I ended up adding extra Buchla modules in a 4 or 6 panel boat – but it is just as relevant adding a small Euro Skiff with a CVGT or two to handle the CV and pulses back and forth.

In a nutshell, despite now owning several modular systems I still come back to the Easel and look at it, admire it, play it, and crave it as though it were the Lamborghini or Aston Martin of synths – it just feels ‘special’ – more special than any Euro system ever will to me. A tribute to the genius of Don Buchla and his vision of a patchable instrument unchanged from 40 years ago but just as fresh and relevant today.

I bloody love it!
(Get one)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2