MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

whut no pots? cryptic too?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author whut no pots? cryptic too?
falafelbiels
So what is it with these old Serge systems that I can hardly see any pots in there? Maybe I've been looking at the wrong pics, but hardly any module seems to have any pot on em.
Now I have my parts in to build a dual negative slew and I get all confused by the documents on the CGS page on the thing.

The picture on this page shows a module as I am used to it, weirdly with no pots, but when I check the overlay picture it clearly has pots in there.
Also I can't get my head around the cryptic labeling, there seem to be more jacks than functions for it (and I DO get the multi bit). How can one work with such a thing?

I realise that these ancient systems are all very personal but still one would expect a bit of uniformity eh? no...?
Luka
analog computer stylee

the page explains the in/outs of the module and there is a schematic too
andrewF
sorry if this is too obvious
the panel pic on the page you linked to is a dual module. each module has two pots, they are the black ones on the left side of the panel.
yes they don't look like pots, i dunno...maybe they aren't, maybe some weird cheap 70s thing, anyway thats where the pots go.
One pot is a rate pot, the other determine how the CV signal will work.
Also you will need 6V for the MC3401 (which can be substituted with a LM3900).

glad to see others are interested in these circuits. Since you are going to the trouble of building a 6V supply, I really recommend you slap together a peak&trough, it is easy to build and incredibly useful.
falafelbiels
andrewF wrote:
sorry if this is too obvious
the panel pic on the page you linked to is a dual module. each module has two pots, they are the black ones on the left side of the panel.
yes they don't look like pots, i dunno...maybe they aren't, maybe some weird cheap 70s thing, anyway thats where the pots go.
One pot is a rate pot, the other determine how the CV signal will work.
Also you will need 6V for the MC3401 (which can be substituted with a LM3900).

Are those pots?(?!?)
They really look like jacks... Well they look like pots from the backside they do, but I just reckoned they were pictures of two different modules really.
Well that's all cleared then.
I got the dual thing, that was obvious with the everything double.

andrewF wrote:
glad to see others are interested in these circuits.

Well I was looking for a VC decay envelope to DIY (DIM) and this is what Bugbrand recommended. I agree that having a bit of Serge may be pretty chicque especialy if I get it to work.

andrewF wrote:
Since you are going to the trouble of building a 6V supply, I really recommend you slap together a peak&trough, it is easy to build and incredibly useful.

Am I? See I was just going to try my hand on a bit of etching and slap in the parts. Do I need the 6V if I use the LM3900? The datasheet on the LM3900 says it runs off 4-32 Vdc. Is it about something I fail to see?

edit: Been looking at the schematics and pcb pattern for a bit more and there is indeed a +6V rail. It does however seem to feed more stuff than just the MC3401 through the pots and that quite large trimpot. I reckon some 6V regulator can be stuck on the pcb somewhere though.

Luka wrote:
analog computer stylee

That, I don't get. But I'll start googling...
falafelbiels
d'oh! See and then I remembered this one which clearly has pots, with pretty nice knobs on too.

still kind of cryptic though...
don h
Here's an old one, from the Calarts class:
http://www.donhassler.com/jbutcher/blog/srg1.jpg
There's knobs!
falafelbiels
knobs-a-plenty yes...
don h
driving myself nuts trying to locate for you the original Serge docs...
They're out there somewhere, if I can locate them.
They detail the wonderful early style envelope, along with the pos and neg slews.
But while looking around, I found this:
http://www.tcherepnin.com/
Enjoy!
falafelbiels
WOW don't drive yourself nuts man! I'm just thinking of sticking together a module here, then I noticed some weird stuff that's all.
I don't need to see official documents proving the things have knobs, really...

hihi
andrewF
here's a catalogue blurb on the neg slew

6V regulator on the pcb will be fine

as for analogue pooting
http://www.analogmuseum.org/english/
don h
falafelbiels wrote:
WOW don't drive yourself nuts man! I'm just thinking of sticking together a module here, then I noticed some weird stuff that's all.
I don't need to see official documents proving the things have knobs, really...

hihi

It's too late... The doc, I think, "An Introduction To The Use of The Serge Modular System", which detailed the very early instrument used to live somewhere out there it doesn't any longer, predating the more current Gold book. It's one of the few sources of info about the old ones.
I probably have a pdf copy of it somewhere, but it really needs to exist online again I think!
DGTom
If you can track down that .pdf that would be amazing, the Gold book is great but I'd love more info on the older (wierder) stuff.

andrewF wrote:

as for analogue pooting
http://www.analogmuseum.org/english/

amazing! Huge, patchbays, scopes, whole card op-amps, mice poo... wow! just wow!!
andrewF
There used to be a synth webpage that had the 76 manual, as a bunch of jpegs. It seems to be long gone, so here's the 30 or so jpegs as a pdf.

1976 Serge manual
falafelbiels
Thanks guys, that decryptisizes a lot. This manual is pretty clear in itself, while not many modular-manuals are. Most modules don't really need that clarity though. Old Serge does I might add.
BugBrand
Hey Andrew - thanks for posting the 1976 Serge Manual -- I've been dragging so slow at getting a bug-modular-manual completed and this gives some further good examples of how to approach things. It is right hard to clearly explain how things work!
zthee
Thanks AndrewF!
DGTom
andrewF wrote:
There used to be a synth webpage that had the 76 manual, as a bunch of jpegs. It seems to be long gone, so here's the 30 or so jpegs as a pdf.

1976 Serge manual

So good! thankyou!

i love your "70s" Serge clone as well! Those panel graphics are something else.
confusional
Redacted.
mermott
Many thanks for the 76 manual! Love this antique Serge incarnation.
don h
This is the manual I was speaking of, thanks! Odd how hard it is to find.
It really illustrates their pure, functionary design, mine has the feel of an old, army jeep or a mail truck. Or maybe a tractor.
Here's a little clip of it hanging out with To Live And Shave In LA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJ_nyl3nzc

andrewF wrote:

1976 Serge manual
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1