MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pigtronix infinity looper?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Pigtronix infinity looper?
dkcg
Just got mine in the mail, 6 more hours til I get to play with it. I already have an echoplex digital pro, which I love, but it being racked makes playing with it a hassle when I'm just tinkering on the guitar. Anyone else have one? Love it? Got here a day early, just in time for the weekend.
dadek
i've been really considering it. i use an echoplex pro as well, though last several years have been using a looperlative lp1.
i recently rehooked my eh16 for more tabletop, move around the studio use, but it has such a 'sound' i'm considering moving to the infinity as an alternative, not in the patchbay, improvising looper.
i'd be interested in how easily it is to get at all it's functions. the dedidcated footpedal for the echoplex made it so easily interactive. no mapping controllers or creating use scenarios before even getting to the looping...
look forward to hearing the music you make dk.
EMwhite
There's a thread or two around here somewhere in which I shout out about the Infinity so I won't repeat myself except to say that I've had it for a few months and love it.

Tinkering is what I do, I don't use it playing out but the fact that I can just press play on my TR-8 and have the Infinity track perfectly is of great use.

The multiple features is very good, and the serial and parallel modes very good.

It's no nonsense so the mix controls for each loop are handy and I also use it to bi-amp from a mono source (one has a delay on the outbound side).

I won't have any use for pulling tracks down via USB, I have the external pedal but any stereo jack momentary will do. I don't have any use for the reverse gimmickry;

There is one bug in the version of code I have where if you try and change a few of the settings while playing it freaks out and resets; but I know to just stop the loop and then switch settings. It's likely fixed in whatever the latest release is.

I have the Envelope Phaser also, I'm a big fan of their stuff; not the cheapest gear but in my opinion... worth it. Your mileage may vary.
rjungemann
First, I recommend reading both the manual and the addendum. http://www.pigtronix.com/products/infinity-looper/#additional_product_ info

They're continually updating the firmware which is nice. They finally added loop decay which I appreciate. But they have a new experimental firmware that adds some sweet new features.

The serial mode is awesome for verse-chorus structures.

I'm mostly using mine for drum loops at the moment which means I'm seriously under-utilizing it.

The nice thing is that the extra features don't get in the way, you can use it very simply if you like, but there are some added features that are easily accessible if you want. You can also add an expression pedal or a dual-footswitch for easier access to undo, reverse, etc.

It's very high-resolution (48kHz, 24-bit) which is also appreciated. It takes MicroSD cards, for hours of loop time, and loops and firmware can be changed over USB. Current firmware is limited to 9 presets (18 loops) but the experimental firmware bumps it to 50 (100 loops).

Overall, I would take it over any of the Boss loopers any day. I can't comment about the Boomerang, although I had considered a Boomerang at some point.

In my opinion, there's very little to complain about
attacksustain
Does the infinity have any way to adjust the speed it plays back a loop ?
I'd love to record some layers slow them down, and then do overdubs on them. I've read the boomerang can do this, but haven't used one.
Matos
The experimental software has some interesting features, but it didn't work very well for me. Overdubbing with midiclock was causing weird slowdown speed up artifacts, which was kind of cool, but not controllable.
dkcg
attacksustain wrote:
I'd love to record some layers slow them down, and then do overdubs on them. I've read the boomerang can do this, but haven't used one.

I think the beta firmware implements this, but I'll stick with the latest released firmware for a little bit.

I had a play with it, it's really quite intuitive, much more so than the EDP. And you can play 2 loops at once, which the EDP can't. The undo seems to work well, but doesn't seem to undo the initial recording on the 2nd loop, not a big deal. I think I prefer the footswitch on the EDP, but that thing in itself is even bigger than the Infinity. For portability and size, the Inifinity kills the EDP. However, the EDP still does some things that I don't think the Inifinity can do, like having as many loops as your memory ca hold. I like using 3 or 4 short loops, all copies of one measure, multiplied and added on top of and switching between them with the "next loop" footswitch for a few different parts, and there's a weird bug/feature when you start undoing and messing with multiple lengths in the EDP that's somewhat glitchy, but in a cool way. Also having the loop feedback as a knob makes "fades" really easy w/o needing additional expression pedals or options. So the EDP will survive another looper added to the collection (Octratrack, Ableton and now the Infinity), even though it's sound quality is near the bottom. Actually, it might be the worse sound quality of them all and the only mono looper I own.

I thought about the Boomerang, but the size of the Inifinity was a big deciding factor. The Boomerang is smaller than I imagined, but the Infinity is the same size as their normal big pedals which is too big for some effects, but nice n compact for a looper.

I'll give it a try with the Buchla this weekend, but so far with guitar, it's fun as heck and more immediate than the EDP in my setup.

Time to rekajigger my pedalboard and read some manuals... w00t
Just me
My Boomerang III is slightly larger than my Echolution for sizing.
rjungemann
attacksustain wrote:

New experimental firmware has vari-speed as well as half-speed and double-speed but I haven't tried those features yet.
dkcg
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/149277929" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=t rue" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

One thing I really like a lot about the Infinity, saves your loops as wav files. Rockin' Banana!

I think the soundcloud embed is broken, here's the url:
https://soundcloud.com/ibdk/infinity1
EMwhite
Hard to tell where you did overdub or used the fade out functions of the Infinity but damn son, that House of Buchla track is amazing. Is that done on a bunch of Buchla or an old Easel or something else? Great rhythm on the other track also. Post more...
Jason Brock
rjungemann wrote:
New experimental firmware has vari-speed as well as half-speed and double-speed but I haven't tried those features yet.

I mentally wrote this box off just by looking at it and not seeing a "speed" knob to slow down loops. But if it has this feature now I'll have to give it a second glance.
dkcg
EMwhite wrote:
Hard to tell where you did overdub or used the fade out functions of the Infinity but damn son, that House of Buchla track is amazing. Is that done on a bunch of Buchla or an old Easel or something else? Great rhythm on the other track also. Post more...

I had a better track, but forgot to save it when I powered off, I put a lot of reverb in Live too, I forgot that my delay was after the looper, so the good stuff was lost. Not the best example of looping, but I was getting bored and started to try to be more abstract.

house of Buchla was on my 200e system with 2 ZOe's in there. Probably some reverb in sw and/or eclipse, but I think I didn't use midi for it. Lots of envelopes driving modulations making those sliding sounds. One of my favorites that I've recorded. Thanks for liking it.
dkcg
https://soundcloud.com/ibdk/infinity2

One more, the Infinity is great for working with Ableton once you save some loops. This is with the BassVI, which is great for this sorta stuff with it's wide range.
EMwhite
Did you tweak your BPM in Ableton to match your loop or just set the starting point of the loop on the measure boundary?

The timing and way that the Midi clock is implemented in the Infinity is interesting and sometimes frustrating. If my TR-8 had a footswitch to start and if the Infinity had an "armed" mode where the second Midi START is received it started recording I wouldn't have this issue but since I'm a Logic use and rarely use it, I play most things on the other side of my keyboard rig which is to say that it's a traditional pedal board plus a set of Taurus pedals and two amps.

I run into trouble when I play something with an odd time signature like 7/4 because I have to wait for the even 4/4 subdivision to come around again before I start recording...

Maybe I'll reach out to Dave Koltai and make the suggestion...
dkcg
I just copied the loops to the computer and dropped them into an empty set, didn't adjust anything. Ableton adjusted the BPM, and my little drum sequence made in Live lined up. It's great for standard 4/4, but I imagine it might be tricky in odd meters.

I haven't used it with midi yet, I'm not sure I will as my Echoplex is setup in the rack with midi in and outs into a midi router. I'd like to try making a loop in the Echoplex and having it be the master clock for the Infinity, might be easier for odd meters since the Echoplex doesn't lock to a 4/4 measure, but can sync with midi clock. Maybe do a polyrhythmic loop experiment with the Infinity at 4 and the echoplex at whatever. hmmm.....

It would be nice if the Infinity could spit out midi clock tho... waah
dkcg
New beta software. Like a new toy for the weekend...

Quote:
JUNE 4, 2014 BY DAVIDKOLTAI
Here is a BETA version of the long awaited Infinity Looper massive firmware update:
http://pigtronix.com/SPLfirmware/2.0_BETA
Please SAVE YOUR LOOPS NOW as this complete firmware overhaul will BLOW AWAY all of the pre-recorded material on your machine.

New features include:
Active MIDI Sync
10ms Minimum Loop Time
50 Presets (100 loops)
Vari-Speed mode w/ Remote Control ~ (hold down REVERSE to enter varispeed remote control)
Tap Tempo Sync Mode ~ (hold down Loop 1 on power up / AUTOzero MIDI beat counter when you hit record)
MONO Mixdown ~ (hold down Loop 2 on power up / mono mix of both loops)
Stutter Mode ~ (hold down STOP on power up / reverse becomes stutter)
Complete MIDI Control ~ (documentation coming tomorrow)
LED indication for the Colorblind
LEDs blink on loop cycle

This code is a BETA. It is not perfect. Saving very short loops does not work. We will be posting another update, along with a new version of the Infinity Looper application within the next few days.
chorus7
What does the
Quote:
Vari-Speed mode w/ Remote Control
do? Is there controls over start/end times? placing markers?

(holy crap this is my 777th post)
sydilaxe
I am right on the verge of purchasing one of these for my electroacoustic performances. Yet, the price point seems very high for what it is...

C'mon...someone push me over the edge and I'll bite the bullet.
dkcg
sydilaxe wrote:
I am right on the verge of purchasing one of these for my electroacoustic performances. Yet, the price point seems very high for what it is...

C'mon...someone push me over the edge and I'll bite the bullet.

I paid less than retail, 15% off using the code "pedal15" at proguitarshop.com. That code seems to always work. thumbs up
sydilaxe
That is awesome... but I also have to factor in import duty and HST.

I just had to calculate that versus the retail cost purchase in Canada.

With the discount, shipping, and import, it is still like 30-40.00 cheaper than buying it locally (but I get to pick it up immediately if I buy it here)!
MrBiggs
I came up here to post about the firmware update yesterday. I'm about to leave work early to get home and try it out. I've had the Infinity for 18 months and I've been waiting for this one ever since they implemented the reverse function a few months after I got it.

FWIW, I just absolutely love the Infinity. Now with the half-time/double-time and-everything-in-between update, it'll be just brilliant.

I got an Echolution 2 Deluxe to use with it, and I've been meaning to run my OpLab into its MIDI as well, but as a couple of you have mentioned its MIDI is kinda weird when trying to sync with some other device. Koltai has updated the MIDI implementation so I'll be curious to see if it works. But basically I found it was easier to get a good synched loop without the MIDI.
chvad
dying to play with the new firmware this weekend. i've liked my infinity a lot. midi sync was crucial for me and it handles this great. the new implementation of varispeed is a fucking blast. that plus reverse is texture heaven. id love to grab an echolution 2 deluxe but i just dont have room on my board for it. such a bummer because that looks sexy as hell.
MrBiggs
You guys plan for a long weekend. Or maybe a short one.

When Dave wrote "beta" he meant it. This is a mess.

The only two things I tried are the half/double-time loop speed and the stutter effect. When you hold the reverse switch on your remote footswitch, it goes into half/double-time mode. It doesn't seem to always know if it's in half/double-time or if it's trying to reverse the loop like it normally did. The LED has a little horiz line that goes up and down as you press the switches on the remote to let you know if it's in half or double. It defaults to double, so at first all you get is slow and slower. You have to use the right remote switch to set it in the middle first.

Stutter is funny. But since you lose reverse and, it seems, half/double-time, it's limited. (Requires a restart.) Plus with this beta it was affecting the recorded loop itself with big pops and it was changing my loop points.

I got a lot of errors that I couldn't repeat. At one point, once I'd saved a loop in slot 1, hitting the half/double-time switch was inserting part of the previous loop into the new loop at random speeds. If this is a feature i can sell my Tyme Sefari. hihi

I also can't figure out how to use the Expression pedal as varispeed. It just works as before and changes the volume.

Lastly, saving loops worked twice and didn't work three times. When you click the Preset knob to save the loop, it hangs on the saving. Have to unplug and restart the looper. Of those three times, once it actually did save the loop and the other two times I get E error message when I try to select the loop to play back.

And now I can't get the Infinity app to recognize that the Infinity is plugged into my Mac.

So..... neat. But boy have they got some work to do. Back to the previous firmware.
chvad
That's a bummer. Are you that I can't have varispeed and reverse at the same time even with an additional expression pedal?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9