MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

placement/heating issues?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Author placement/heating issues?
John_Chowning
Hi, relative new guy with questions here,
I have a small Dotcom portable case, 2 levels, 13 MU spaces per level,
But I would like to add as many Zerosum modules to it as I can and as space permits. The attached pic is my current plan ... I plan to put two ZI modules on the top right, assuming this will keep the tubes out of the main patching area...

My question is, is it safe/practical to place ZI modules in the bottom half of a two-level Dotcom case? Won't the patch cables lean against the tubes, heat up, and burn down my house?

Or is there some ergonomic magic to the design that encourages cables to stay away from the tubes? Never having seen a ZI module in person, I have no idea.

Any advice/personal experience with these issues is appreciated
zerosum
For the most part, the cables stick out further than the tubes.
The placement of the tubes and the jacks are far enough apart that stacking 2 rows isn't a problem.

What kind of power supply do you have?
Moog$FooL$
JC...... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

i need to see this set-up!!!

d.
thumbs up
John_Chowning
hi Brian,
my power supply is a QPS-1, I believe. It came mounted inside this case -
http://synthesizers.com/cabinets.html#portable - I didn't buy it separately. It drives a Q137 Power Control Interface mounted in the front of my case.

it's not a QPS-2, that's for sure.

Based on your pic and advice, I think my best bet is to stick a Thyratron Osc in the top half and a Noise and Erebus Orifice underneath it.

Moogfool, i'll call you when it's ready! Mr. Green
zerosum
Rock N Roll! nanners
You should be able to power those modules without any troubles.
I have tested them on a QPS1 and QPS3.

Quote:
I think my best bet is to stick a Thyratron Osc in the top half and a Noise and Erebus Orifice underneath it.

Set the case flat on it's back and slide the modules around a few times in a few different configurations
before locking it down with screws, It's like a Ouija board, you'll feel the right place for it. hihi

The outer left and right corners are good for keeping the tubes out of the way.
But overall, the more you patch with it, the more you will be aware of where the tubes are and the less it will seem like they get in the way.

The 6CB6 in the Erebus Orifice, doesn't get hot enough to melt anything, no worries there.
The 5823 doesn't get hot either, but it is important to not touch the PCB while the module is powered on.(high voltages!)
Fortunately the PCB is behind the panel, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Same with the 6550-99, Don't touch the PCB, handle the module by the panel, wait a couple minutes after power down to unplug the module if removing the module from a case.

The 2050 in the 6550-99, gets warm, but it isn't a problem.

I haven't melted any cables on any of the tube modules I have used,
they seem to go there own ways without wanting to gravitate to the tubes.
I also tuck them away if they get too close or uncomfortable.

Powering off the synthesizer when not in use is a good idea.
John_Chowning
thanks again for the explanation. I am super psyched about these tubes going into my Dotcom case

hey I got another question if you don't mind:

I have read that some Metasonix modules will track (within a limited range) an audio-rate squarewave, especially oscillators.

will this work with the 6550-99?
what about the Erebus orifice, with a squarewave into CV in and nothing in the audio input?

just curious. tracking is not the most important thing to me.... it's not why I got into tubes .... luckily....
zerosum
Quote:
I have read that some Metasonix modules will track (within a limited range) an audio-rate squarewave, especially oscillators.

will this work with the 6550-99?

Yes. w00t
It is even more interesting if you modulate the pulse width of the osc that is feeding the CV input of the other osc.
This concept works with filters too or just about anything that oscillates. It is a lot of fun.

Patch a sequence or CV source into a Q106,
Q106 square out into Left unattenuated CV input of 6550-99,
another sequence or CV source into Right attenuated CV input of 6550-99 with the knob around 12 0' clock.

I usually use the left unattenuated CV for synch/FM/audio processing
and the right attenuated CV for sequence and CV signals,
It is handy having the attenuator on board to fine tune the response and tuning.

Quote:
what about the Erebus orifice, with a squarewave into CV in and nothing in the audio input?

It has been a while since I have tried. In general I use the EO as an audio processor and then spend a lot of time modulating it trying to get it to spurt and pop and twitch rhythmically with the sequences, etc.

The CV path is vactrol based. So it won't have the same response as a chip based CV path or a tube CV path like what is in the 6550-99.

I'll have some patches for you to try when you have modules w00t
Talking about patches is cool! This is fun!
John_Chowning
great to know it will follow the squarewave!

the patch in mind I have that I am looking most forward to patching is simply:

6550-99 to one input of Dotcom ring modulator
self-oscillating Erebus Orifice to other input
see what the hell comes out
two tubetones enter, one tubetone leaves
there can be ... only one

headbang
zerosum
Ring mod is AWESOME!!! love
That would be a good patch for the switch in the up position on the 6550-99.
If my synth was up right now I would try it!

Maybe experiment with the dotcom fade module to bend between two X or Y signals.

Do you have a digital delay? A modulated digital delay with short delay times sounds great with ring mod! That is how you get the ultra klangy clinky chewing on sheets of metal sounds. lol
sbuge
zerosum wrote:

Do you have a digital delay? A modulated digital delay with short delay times sounds great with ring mod! That is how you get the ultra klangy clinky chewing on sheets of metal sounds. lol

Thanks for the tip. That patch idea sounds GREAT!!! nanners
sbuge
sbuge wrote:
zerosum wrote:

Thanks for the tip. That patch idea sounds GREAT!!! nanners

And I will have to add that this patch idea is really great . I wonder why I have never tried this simple idea before . So many wasted patches.

I also tried this with reverb. OSC to X-in and OSC to Reverb--to-->Y-in and then modulated the amount of reverb/amplitude/etc. And this also sounds cool. Like dying and farting old oscillator or something like that Dead Banana

THANKS!
zerosum
Quote:
I also tried this with reverb. OSC to X-in and OSC to Reverb--to-->Y-in and then modulated the amount of reverb/amplitude/etc. And this also sounds cool. Like dying and farting old oscillator or something like that

I'll try that. Reverb, delay, and ringmod are awesome! cool
I have the modcan 07b which has CV for the amount of ringmod which is pretty cool! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Page 1 of 1