multi fx

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

sandyb

multi fx

Post by sandyb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:39 am

i've been thinking about multi fx units today. anyone using one with their modular? which one(s) would you recommend? - there seems to be a lot available pretty cheap at the moment so it would be good to narrow down the field a bit. i'm looking for something pretty general in nature that covers most of the usual suspects - delay,reverb etc...

sandy

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 pm

im very happy with my lexi mpx-500 and they are dirt cheap today.
there are plenty of parameters to edit but the interface is simple.
lush reverbs.

very good things heard about the dp4 but they seem a bit difficult to acquire.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 pm

it's funny sandy because i got into standalone pedals and now almost exclusively modular just to get away from multieffects.

i had a boss GT6 which wasn't so bad but the programming aspect and the lack of connection(probably due to being overly digital) made me come to despise it.

i moved into an EHX delay(sold) and Van Amps Solemate reverb(still going strong). and then Blacet for an I/O, LFO, Filter, then phaser, then ringmod and on and on at this point.

although i know people will recommend the Z5000 which is atleast a module.

i wanted to process my turntable while skratching and after getting a lot of modules and thinking things through i'm gonna actually scale my effects rack down to a 19" 4u skb. and the rest of the modular will stay at home.

i'm thinking I/O, Filtre, Wave Multiplier, LFO, Psycho LFO, mixer, vca, a 1u mult panel and a 1u rane mixer.
Last edited by Kwote on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Holy Freekin' Hell! Where to start? I'm currently sitting in front of my Craptop and doing some of this :guinness: so here goes... sumpthin'...

Roger Linn Adrenalinn: A great box. The matrix interface is a bit of a PITA but it is useable without a computer, which is nice. You can use many different librarian thingies with it if you must though. Great sounds, syncs to tap-tempo and MIDI clock. Tons of Effects in it. Filters, Flangers, Vibrato, Delay, Amp Models, Fuzz Models, Tremolos, Arpeggiators, all with different LFO types, stereo imaging... lots of shit. A great box for Geetar or synths or anything.

Boss VF-1: A super-stupid bargin. This little red box kicks major ass. It does a whole heapin' load o' shite: Tempo synched effects, amp modeling, crazy-wack filters... I kinda consider it to be in the same family as the Adrenalinn. The Adrenalinn is slightly more instrument focused and the VF-1 is more 'studio/mixing' focused. To shorten this, look here: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... ductId=413 and here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/boss.asp

Korg A1, A2 & A3 (I don't have experience with the A4 or A5). These boxes can often be picked up for a song. The A1 is is a 2rU rack unit and the A2 & A3 are 1rU. The A1 has all of the effects chains and all of the algorithms. The A2 nearly as many whilst the A3 is more 'instrument/live playing focused'. I've got the A3 & A1. The RE-1 remote is basically like a Lexicon LARC and allows you to put the A1 in the rack and just have the remote at your modular. Can also be operated with the dedicated FC6 footswitch. Great for live use. Lots o' info here: http://www.korgaseries.org/

Boss SX-700. 1rU and filled with cool effects. It is somewhat similar to the VF-1 but not very instrument oriented. A studio/live sound device.

Electrix MO-FX. 2rU box that is equally at home with DJs, synths, concerts, studio-mixing, etc. Will also function as a desktop unit. It has tap-tempo and will lock to MIDI Beat Clock. Has delay, distortion (on dry sound or wet sound!), tremolo, & flanger. Simple to operate & sounds good. Mono or Stereo.

The Lexicon stuff, as mentioned (MPX-500) is good kit. I've got a Vortex and have used damn near everything that they've ever made; cheap or not.

I've got a mountain of other crap, but not things that would qualify as Multi-FX boxes. If you are looking for something more specific, lemme know here, on this thread, & I'll spout off again.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 am

thanks for all the ideas. i'm looking for a non modular unit mainly because i don't have the space for eurorack expansion just now, so the z5000 is out. i'll look into lexicon. anyone had any experience with some of the older digitech dual/quad processors?

sandy

consumed

Post by consumed » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 am

no experience--but ive read about some users being very happy with their tsr-24s, but nothing compelling enough to run out and buy one right away.

ive never been happy with a digitech reverb but thats not to say the tsr24s would not be a good box for other stuff.

one other suggestion might be (if you can pick it up cheap) a boss se-70....although the reverbs really suck on it and its a bit noisy. ive stubbornly held onto mine for the delay, distortion and vocoder effects.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 am

I'll add in the Alesis Quadraverb & and the NanoVerb (if you are on a budget).

Of all the units that I mentioned before, the VF-1 is probably closest to what you are looking for. It's Space Echo and Spring Reverb emulations are pretty damn good too.
Last edited by Kent on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

consumed

Post by consumed » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:12 am

thanks for those recommendations kent--the vf1 looks interesting.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:43 am

Dude,

With all of the very informed and helpful posts that you've placed up here, it is good finally give something back to the Crüe. Not Vince Neil & Co... I mean you guys!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:48 am

aww c'mon. the Crue could use a little love too.

kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 am

Shit, Vince and I are wearing the same pants...

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:50 am

Kent wrote:Shit, Vince and I are wearing the same pants...
:lol:
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Kwote wrote:aww c'mon. the Crue could use a little love too.

i go away from the computer for a few hours and look what i get.
muff - make me a moderator so i can ban these people!
:lol:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 pm

NOBODY bans The Crüe!!!

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 pm

I use the Virus b for processing a lot, Phaser,Flange,Chorus,Delay,Reverb, distortion,filters,vocoder
its nice controlling parameters with an LFO too.

I also use the POD XT alot too.

John Nonjohn
Guru

Post by John Nonjohn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 pm

I just received a Lexicon MPX-1, from Zzounds.com! A great deal for only $400! The reverbs are great and detailed, and the other multi-FX are very good, too! The only major drawback is that the digital, S/P DIF I/O can only be used at 44.1 KHz. As far as programming, the MPX-1 is fairly deep--it even has some synthesizer functions like LFO's, EG's, and such, and in using them effectively, the MPX-1 can even make some modular-synth-FX-type sounds! Pretty cool box, overall.
"He who controls the spice controls the universe!"

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 pm

cool - thanks for all the ideas. i'm keeping an eye out on ebay to see what's in budget - looks like some of the older lexicons are going pretty cheaply.

Return to “General Gear”