MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

La Bestia / Sturm&Drang (WAD) build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author La Bestia / Sturm&Drang (WAD) build thread
nordlead
No specific build docs, but I thought it makes sense to gather building related info for the Serge/CGS panels La Bestia and Sturm&Drang (WAD panel) here (there is also a separate Edelweiss build thread):

555 Dual VCO for 4U (12V):
BOM
Schematic
For the component pcb you'll want Alpha 9mm vertical pcb mount pots (B100K) with 6.35mm axis (RD901F-40-15R1-B100K), available from Tayda (US) and uk electronic (Germany)

Serge WAD (CGS208):
CGS208
WAD building thread

Stereo Mixer (CGS101):
Some info from Ken - haven't figured it out:
panner circuit Can be built as-is.
gain cells Can be built as-is.
Main board (CGS101) An extra resistor is required per gain cell. They are the 5k6 shown on the schematic.
There are resistors that are not used in all variants on this board, but it is probably simpler just to install the lot. P pads are for the panner version. V pads are for the VCA version.
Update from Ken: On the 101 schematic, the gain pots are shown upside down. What appears to be a +VE connection should really go to -VE.

Random Source (=CGS92 + CGS97)
There's some wiring info in the Edelweiss thread/docs (link above)
Jonachi
I'll be working on a build doc for the Bestia as well, at this point too much is unreleased, so we'll have to wait. It will be based on CGS pcb's and J3rks LPG, and Fader (Fonik will provide build instructions for the OSC section). The build doc will be very similar to the Edelweiss one.
modintx
Thank you Gentlemen,

I just read the entire saga of nordlead WAD build and I'm now sacred silly woah

nordlead are you willing to post a summary of your final WAD component list, i.e. what resistors values you ended up with where in the end and what IC's? (hides)

Does that request make sense as a reference for all the Sturm&Drang builders?

If I'm being unreasonable please feel free to let me know.
nordlead
modintx wrote:
Thank you Gentlemen,

I just read the entire saga of nordlead WAD build and I'm now sacred silly woah

nordlead are you willing to post a summary of your final WAD component list, i.e. what resistors values you ended up with where in the end and what IC's? (hides)

Does that request make sense as a reference for all the Sturm&Drang builders?

If I'm being unreasonable please feel free to let me know.

Not sure if I can contribute more than what's already in that thread, most of which is probably quite individual, so your build might go differently... also it's been a while and I don't remember too many details any more.

Core WAD impressions/findings:

resistor changes are less important, I believe I ended up (mostly) with the pcb values - Jon's version seems to be based on STS modifications, not sure if that's required or wanted, given that this is a crazy, noisy but amazing piece of crap ... doubt that anything will turn this into clean high-end audio (and wouldn't want that, either). Probably easier to get it working as per pcb and then start modding if needed.

IC selection seems essential - get a pile if CA3080 and test/measure/swap them. Same with the other guys (3280, SAD1024) might make life easier, too ...

In my case building a 2nd board and comparing was also very helpful (after I got the first one working, I didn't bother to finish the 2nd one completely ...)
modintx
Ah understood, thanks for clarifying nordlead

Getting 3280's and 3080's isn't so bad it's those pesky SAD1024's that will be the trick, barely managed to locate enough for the build as is eek!

Well you only live once so I'm going to give it a go hyper

Cheers
nordlead
SAD1024 is a problem, I got mine from all around the globe, turns out it's not so easy to tell if they're good or not. I bought a pair in France, for instance, none of them worked, returned them, seller confirmed one was actually bad, the other one he claimed was working - well, it wasn't in my WAD board. If I were to go into this again, I'd probably buy a (working) guitar pedal just as a SAD tester ... debugging this circuit is pretty pointless if you don't know if the SADs are healthy.

Also, one thing that made building the WAD board difficult was that there were hardly any successful / working builds around, so nothing to compare against, in particular it was unclear whether the board could be built as per pcb or if Jon's modifications were required. By now I assume it will be much better as it's clear that it can be stuffed as per pcb (some minor corrections if I remember) and there'll probably be more people working on that beast, so the chances to reveal some of the remaining mysteries should be much better, so I can only encourage people to share the pain and joy.
snufkin
I am v interested in the wad build guys got my supply of the ICs so would love to hear any tips ect
Isaiah
nordlead
Am I right in thinking that CGS101 + CGS102 = Serge UPAP?
If so, they could be configured as a Dual X-Fader or a DCSM, right?
Jonachi
Started the build doc for Bestia, which will be in the same style as the one I did for Edelweiss. Pretty much done with available pcb's from CGS (VCFq i missing as well as J3rks pcb's). I will base it around the following pcb's:

From CGS:
CGS 67 – Serge Ring mod
CGS 113 – Serge Wave Multipliers
CGS92 - Serge Smoothed and Stepped Generator
CGS114 – DUSG
CGS97 - Serge Noise
CGS ??? - VCFQ

From J3rk:
LPG
X-Fader
Stero-Mixer

..and of course Foniks VCO (which he is writing build docs for).

I'll continue working on it as soon as more information is available.
modintx
Jonachi - Thank you!! Last one was excellent we're not worthy
modintx
nordlead wrote:
Quote:
Also, one thing that made building the WAD board difficult was that there were hardly any successful / working builds around, so nothing to compare against, in particular it was unclear whether the board could be built as per pcb or if Jon's modifications were required. By now I assume it will be much better as it's clear that it can be stuffed as per pcb (some minor corrections if I remember) and there'll probably be more people working on that beast, so the chances to reveal some of the remaining mysteries should be much better, so I can only encourage people to share the pain and joy.

Thanks nordlead, very true, with approx 12 of us building and hopefully sharing we can finally slay this dragon as a team and all get the results we're dreaming of from this module.
Jonachi
So, still thinking about the build doc. I'm intending to use the CGS79 (SERGE ring mod) for the ring mod section. However, Ken's site doesn't give us any clue how to wire the corresponding X and Y pots. I'm thinking the pots should be wired as passive attenuators, for example:

For the X input: CCW to 0v, Whiper to E on PCB and CW to input jack.

Just want I confirmation that I'm thinking straight.

Also, the pots, since they are controllling sound should be Log (and not Lin) but what value?

Guess I need some help with this one.
modintx
Hi Jonachi,

I think that is a reasonable approach, and on the Y input the Wiper would go to Pad C I presume.

As for Audio Pot value - I'd suggest 50k - seems to be the safe / common one to at least try as a start.

Happy to try these when I get to the build.
Jonachi
so VCFQ has a webpage now. I'm doing som scetches on the wiring for the build doc (Bestia) but need your help. I find the q pot and gain pot somewhat confusing. If possible, check my picture against Ken's schematics. to see if I misunderstood anything.

Ken's webpage can be found at: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs112_vcfq.html
modintx
Looking through the schematic and pad labels I'd say that looks correct Jonachi, nice work, thank you!

Others please chime in.
bookends
http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_filt.htm
Jonachi
Got the build doc for VCFQ checked by Ken himself. I have changed it in the build doc since there were some minor errors. I've removed the pic from my previous post since it will be in the final build doc.
modintx
That is excellent news Jonachi - I'm building a non CGS / Nordlead panel currently and can't tell you how helpful a single format build doc is when you're in the middle of multiple function blocks / wire hook up.

So huge thanks to you and to Ken for reviewing for accuracy we're not worthy
Jonachi
I would never build one without it! That's why I write these things. =)

So what panel are you currently building?
modintx
I'm about 50% through Panel 1 of the appliancide / Ian Fritz panel.
w00t

Both Paul and Ian have been super helpful, the modules / PCB's were documented at different times so some docs more / less info than others so it's a touch more challenging - nothing impossible by any means but thus my comment above thumbs up

fonik
so here is the 1st edition of the 555 VCO building documentation:
555-VCO_4U.pdf (1MB)
modintx
Just WOW - fantastic documentation fonik - thank you for putting in so much effort, it is truly appreciated we're not worthy

w00t
Jonachi
WOW! applause applause applause

Thanks Fonik!
nordlead
Started facing the CGS101 for the Stereo Mixer / UPAP...

According to Ken, the CGS101 pcbs needs a manual fix to include one 5k6 resistor per gain cell (as shown in the schematic). This is what I fiddled - not pretty, but I hope it will do the job:

No tests done yet, need to finish the CGS108 gain cells. Also I haven't quite figured out how the panner sub boards should be hooked up, the seem to be partially pre-connected on the CGS101 pcb.

Ken also found an error in the schematic concerning the gain pot wiring, see first post.

Did anyone get this beast running yet?
lintfresh
555 doc looks great fonik. Very helpful.

Finally getting ready to tackle this little bestia. Any update on the build doc, Jonachi? help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14