MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite Eurorack-modules for playing live?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Favorite Eurorack-modules for playing live?
Daisuk
Hi guys! I'm looking to build my modular so that I can use it as a live performance instrument. Just get as far away from the moving little boxes around in a DAW as possible. So I'm looking for modules that sort of "encourages" live-tweaking and playing. So far, these are on my list;

Make Noise Rene
Make Noise Pressure Points
Mutable Instruments Frames

They all have features that, in my eyes, encourages live-improv stuff. What are some of your favorite modules for doing something to a sound live? Something that could add spice or variations to a loop going, for instance.

Any feedback on this much appreciated! thumbs up
Carl Hungus
FX like the Modcan Delay or Wow and Flutter. Making delays ring out live is always dubby and fun. I have both and they're great.

Pamela's Workout if you need a master clock?

Brains with your Pressure Points
The new MN Teleplexer encourages live interaction

Manhattan Analog makes something for flipping on and off things on the fly, forgot what it was.

Controllers like stuff by Synthwerks, ribbon controllers, theremin with CV, that kind of thing. Mattech did a cool post about integrating a Kaos pad as and XY controller.

4ms VCAM has mute buttons for live jamming.
floris
Must be ten years ago, i really enjoyed touring with a doepfer wasp filter, vca and joystick. Forgot the other 2 or 3 modules that were in there, but this combo was really fun to process tapes.
Daisuk
Thanks, guys! Pamela's Workout is on the shortlist! I should look more into Brains, haven't quite understood what it does, but haven't really read that much about it either. I'll have to look closer at the Teleplexer as well, it sounds a bit interesting.

floris - what kind of joystick were you using? Just a MIDI-controller? smile
Carl Hungus
Planar is the best joystick, imo. I got one and its awesome.

Brains lets you sequence your PP, you can even hook up a 2nd PP for 8 steps.
There are some good videos about it. Cigler's videos on the MN stuff are fantastic. He does a 3 parter on Rene.

Speaking of VCAs, Linix and a Mutamix possibly if you don't go the VCAM route.
John Noble
Doepfer Precision Adder, great module.

PP/Brains for sure.

Custom toggle switch module(s).

Hacked Boss TU-80 tuner/metronome! love
oscillateur
It's not a module but the Koma Kommander is great for live control of stuff : 2 distance based sensor with CV/Gate for each (max voltage is trimmable if needed) in a cool looking tiny box. And it's quite cheap too...
Daisuk
Carl Hungus wrote:
Planar is the best joystick, imo. I got one and its awesome.

Brains lets you sequence your PP, you can even hook up a 2nd PP for 8 steps.
There are some good videos about it. Cigler's videos on the MN stuff are fantastic. He does a 3 parter on Rene.

Speaking of VCAs, Linix and a Mutamix possibly if you don't go the VCAM route.

Thanks! I've been looking at the Planar with some interest, but haven't quite wrapped my head around how to best use it. I'm thinking it could potentially be really cool alongside the Frames though. But then again, I'm not sure what the Planar offers that Frames doesn't, so maybe a second Frames would be even better.

I've been sniffing around the VCAM too, but haven't gone too much in-depth on it. Need to study it a bit more. Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Much appreciated! smile And thanks for the video tips, must check them out!
Daisuk
John Noble wrote:
Doepfer Precision Adder, great module.

PP/Brains for sure.

Custom toggle switch module(s).

Hacked Boss TU-80 tuner/metronome! love

Ah, the Precision Adder sounds cool! Potentially very useful. Thanks! smile
Daisuk
oscillateur wrote:
It's not a module but the Koma Kommander is great for live control of stuff : 2 distance based sensor with CV/Gate for each (max voltage is trimmable if needed) in a cool looking tiny box. And it's quite cheap too...

Ah, very nice! That looks interesting. Need to check that out. Thanks a lot for the heads up! thumbs up
papercutnoise
The Koma Kommander is great fun and can be pretty expressive too. Here's a quick clip of me using one to send cvs to my Quantimator.

Quantimator is in ASR mode being clocked by Wogglebug. 1st ASR out is being sent to Malekko Osc and 3rd ASR out to MFB OSc-02. There's a good bit of delay thrown on there too!

Koma Kommander & Quantimator
boramx
I think make noise has a good stake in this.

Of course rene and PP as stated, but i've been really surprised at how cool playing live w/teleplexer has been. I'm currently working on a 4-channel glove design so i don't have to use cable tips.
Bendu
I've only played live once - grain of salt etc.

I love grids. I don't use it for drums but for clocking sequences on brains/pp and rene. Adjusting the parameters on the fly is super fun. From a certain point of view; maybe it's a bit of a cheat or kind of limited. I don't care; it just works and is endlessly satisfying to use.

I wish it were smaller. I'd have two.
Daisuk
boramx wrote:
I think make noise has a good stake in this.

Of course rene and PP as stated, but i've been really surprised at how cool playing live w/teleplexer has been. I'm currently working on a 4-channel glove design so i don't have to use cable tips.

Haha, that's brilliant! Great tip! Please share the design when ready. thumbs up I literally want more or less everything Make Noise has made, apart from a few minor modules, they all seem quite unique. Very well designed with very creative possibilities.

Bendu - thanks! I've been looking at Grids, and will probably get it at some point. smile
floris
Quote:
floris - what kind of joystick were you using? Just a MIDI-controller?

doepfer joystick without the springs
in one hand,
and fast forward knob of tape machine in the other hand
sd88me
how much do Pressure Points and Rene overlap?

You can 'play' rene's pads in similar way to Pressure points as well right? albeit without velocity/pressure amount.
sd88me
... and 3 channels of cv per step/point on the pressure points too.

just thinking out loud while tossing up the two as a live tool!
Sleipnir
sd88me wrote:
how much do Pressure Points and Rene overlap?

You can 'play' rene's pads in similar way to Pressure points as well right? albeit without velocity/pressure amount.

I have both, and they don't really overlap.
They are both obviously sequencers, but very different on that front.
As controllers, PP is like a keyboard with 3 possible CVs p/key, one key at a time, while Rene played "manually" is like an arpeggiator; you get one cv value p/key, but you hold down multiples to get a sequence of the pads held played at the clock speed. You can trick it to function like a "dumb MPC" by feeding +5v into the clock.
Watch the vids on makenoise.com and you'll see the difference.

The pads on the PP are easier to play, while Rene pads are a bit touchy (licking your fingers before touching it will become a habit). Moisturizer helps.
If Rene was my only manual controller, I'd... find another controller. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
sd88me
cooool.. need to study more!
microfauna
Hackme Vectr
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99344&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0

There is nothing else like it for recording synced modulation for loops.
daluxer
MN PP and upcoming MN rosie i guess?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1