MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Twisted-Electronics AY3 - 8bit desktop chiptune synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Twisted-Electronics AY3 - 8bit desktop chiptune synth
drowld
Demo sounds amazing and it's around 200€
I'm really tempted to buy it hearing the demo but i may wait for a deeper review. For the price it's like a steal It's motherfucking bacon yo

Here's an audio
https://soundbutt.com/twisted-electrons/ay3-fun-1

Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KcA41SUHI

and the website
http://twisted-electrons.com/

Did someone ordered one ?

note sure why the video tag is buggy. seriously, i just don't get it
Paranormal Patroler
Interesting to say the least.
monads
Sound nice. Be ever better if it were a DIY Kit?

Some info isn't very clear though, like the stereo sound (3voice per channel/strip) and the routing thereof?

Looks like there's no on-board filter?
dude
looks cool
sloth713
this thread talks about it a bit https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112675

Honestly I am very close to ordering one but I need to make the cash work out.
burnn_out!
Selling mine if anyone's interested. Bought it and immediately regretted it. I can't stand programming shit. It just seems so cool though. Fuck it.
drowld
Yeah..
i listened to the demo on my focal and it sound like they processed the synth with some fx. Some delay or even more.. Not fair seriously, i just don't get it

How is the sound so far ?
sloth713
I ended up buying burnn_out!'s AY3. I have not had very much time to mess around with it yet so i can't give you a full report but I can give you my first impressions.
It sounds great, exactly like it does in the demos (so I don't think the demos had any fx added). The noise sounds great too.

The build quality is medium, the case is plastic but a fairly sturdy plastic. The knobs are kind of wobbly and don't feel the best (but I am being kinda a knob snob I guess). The little button for the matrix are ok. Over all the button and knobs work just fine for controlling the thing and don't feel like they will break any time soon.

Programing it is a little bit of a pain but not too terrible, the matrix programming works relatively fast once you begin to understand it. Mono mode and cords are fairly easy to program but poly mode can be a pain in the ass due to the fact you have to adjust the volume, adjusting the tuning (transpose), and make sure all voices are on. I haven't been able to spend much time playing with the arp or sequencer yet so I can comment on those. It is not quite as instant gratification as I was hoping for, but the depth of abilities is more than I expected.

Each AY3 chip gets its own audio output, so you need to plug both jacks in to get all 6 voices. It could be useful for some stereo effects but I find it easiest to run into my mixer and turn into a mono signal.

The manual will point you in the right direction when learning to use the AY3 but patient experimentation is the key to learning how to use it.

Bottom line: buy it for the great sound. If you plan on using it for poly mode primarily look else where, though mono and chord mode are fantastic. The programming is decently thought out but still wee bit of a pain. If buying new don't just buy on impulse, think a little about what the AY3 truly is; if buying used snatch it up in a heart beat.

Overall in my limited experience with it I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Twisted-electrons
Hi All!

sloth713, thanks for the detailed review!

I recently made this walkthrough that I hope will make things easier for users:

also the ay3 firmware is flexible and can be updated via sys sex so I'm always interested to hear ways to improve it!

Have a great summer!

Cheers
Alex
sloth713
Thanks for the informative video Alex. thumbs up
Here are a few suggestions I have to make the AY3 even better.

A function that I would love for the AY3 to have is a "clear all parameters" function so that I can built a pad from scratch instead of reprogramming another.

A "clear all transpositions" function would would make poly mode much more user friendly.

If some how the matrix lights could show the volume level and transposition of notes for each voice. I imagine this working in a kind of bar graph/graphic equalizer aesthetic.

I assume that there would have to be a hardware solution for this but it would be cool if you could chose between having both chips run out of 1 audio channel (mono mode) or chip per audio channel (stereo mode).
Twisted-electrons
Hi Sloth!

Thanks for the great suggestions:

Quote:
- "clear all parameters" function -

Absolutely great idea. Perhaps a long hold on the rotary encoder?

Quote:
A "clear all transpositions" function would would make poly mode much more user friendly.

I'have been considering disabling the voice transpositions altogether when in poly mode, after all if you're playing poly you do the transpositions.
What do you think?

Quote:
If some how the matrix lights could show the volume level and transposition of notes for each voice. I imagine this working in a kind of bar graph/graphic equalizer aesthetic.

Great idea! Perhaps show volume of each voice as vertical bars so you can see them in relation to each other, as for the tuning, perhaps flash the number, like in seq edit mode?

Quote:
I assume that there would have to be a hardware solution for this but it would be cool if you could chose between having both chips run out of 1 audio channel (mono mode) or chip per audio channel (stereo mode).

Yes this would require hardware modding, but a passive summing Y cable would do be a quick fix in the meantime:

Thanks again for your input, I'll get cooking and post the updated firmware on the website and facebook page when ready!

Cheers
Alex
sloth713
Twisted-electrons wrote:

Quote:
- "clear all parameters" function -

Absolutely great idea. Perhaps a long hold on the rotary encoder?

I think that would be a perfect solution.

Twisted-electrons wrote:

Quote:

I'have been considering disabling the voice transpositions altogether when in poly mode, after all if you're playing poly you do the transpositions.
What do you think?

It would be great if as soon as you turn it to poly mode that all the transpositions would go away and all the voices would have the same volume. Then if for some reason some one wants notes to be transposed and/or different volumes they can program it in on a clean slate. That way the user gets the instant gratification of an easy poly mode but can still program it in a more complex ways if they want. The only down side I see to this is that the user would not be able to save their "complex" poly patch.

Twisted-electrons wrote:

Quote:

Great idea! Perhaps show volume of each voice as vertical bars so you can see them in relation to each other, as for the tuning, perhaps flash the number, like in seq edit mode?

Vertical bars for comparing volumes of all voices would be great.
For tuning I would prefer musical note letters over number. Maybe to indicate a sharp note you could make the four LED in the top right corner of the matrix light up so it kind of looks like a "#". And for flat notes make a little "b" made out of 5 LED's in the top right corner.

Twisted-electrons wrote:
Thanks again for your input, I'll get cooking and post the updated firmware on the website and facebook page when ready!

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents Alex, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the firmware update. Keep up the great work! thumbs up
catigator
Looks like an awesome synth! I just have one question before I press the order button pretty much (since you seem to be reading this thread) - would it be possible for you to add a way to mute specific midi channel inputs? I'm using an RM1X to sequence my synths, but if I added an AY3 I would have to reserve 14 midi channels for it when I would really only use 3-6 for a track. It would be great if there was a way to have it not listen to certain midi channels.

I'll probably still get one at some point since I would have two channels left for other synths, but I'd feel a lot better about it if I knew there was a way to have it integrate better with other hardware.
sloth713
Welcome to Muff's catigator!
Sounds like you should check out Mutable Instruments Midipal it has midi channel filters and so much more.
http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal
Twisted-electrons
Hi Catigator,

I've added a midi config option to the wish list.

In the meantime I could custom configure your AY3 to respond to a specific midi channel until the update is released razz

Cheers
Alex
mckenic
thumbs up

Hey Alex - this is really cool! Wicked customer support!!!

I was worried with the initial videos that there would be chorusing - man cant wait until my credit card is clear! 1st thing Imna buy!
Twisted-electrons
No Problem, happy to assist

You will get chorusing by playing slightly detuned notes in unison, but only if you choose to!

Cheers
Alex
sloth713
I have been talking to Alex and he says the new and improved firmware should be released some time in September.

I am quite excited about this Trampoline
monads
Was the updated firmware released???? The AY3 looks cool, and that demo really helped Alex!
monads
Anyone still enjoying their AY3???
stikygum
This thing reminds me of the Rozzbox (in appearance).
sound warrior
hey alex its trey, got a quick question for you if your still watching this thread.
can you add more wave forms to the oscs or is that not possible because of hardware limitations?

also do the encoders on the ay3 click when you turn them or are they smooth?

your help with this question would be most welcome kind regards trey.
slumberjack
nice thread here! smile

got a tab with ay3 open in my browser since almost two months now. i'm close to suffer another gas attack soon.
but there one question left to me:
can you send notes on different midi channels to each voice from a sequencer for example?
Pase
Just bought an used one for a reasonable price, Can't wait to get my hands on!
I love 8bit chipsounds...
Any feedback from other wigglers would be appreciated wink
Pase
Well,I'm not an expert at all but to me it sound very nice, the UI it's clever except the sequencer that is a little convolute. I didn't try the polyphonic mode though. For 100 euros I'm sure happy with it thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2