MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EMU Emulator II disks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author EMU Emulator II disks
artisan
Anyone know where to get floppies for an Emulator 2 other than Northstar? Anyone have any experience with the Northstar disks? Thanks!
spacenoodle
artisan wrote:
Anyone know where to get floppies for an Emulator 2 other than Northstar? Anyone have any experience with the Northstar disks? Thanks!

I have many Northstar disks converted to HXC format. Much of them are sound effects oriented and, in my opinion, not very useful musically. Some good and a few great sounds, but certainly not worth what Northstar is charging for them. Check out "OMI Universe of Sounds" libraries - those sounds are great if you can find them anywhere.
silikon
There's an Emulator group that hosts a dropbox share with tons of libraries and disks online -- I don't have the links here at work, but will share later.

I also have a copy of all the northstar stuff as well as the OMI libraries in HxC format, which would help you if you had or were planning on getting an HxC floppy emulator. Drop me a PM.
artisan
You guys are awesome!

Spacenoodle, thats why I was unsure about the Northstar disks. I'm glad they're offering them but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Silikon, thanks for the offer!

I'm assuming both of you have done the HxC mod to your Emulators? Is it difficult? Any advice on where to find info and buy the needed elements?

Thanks for the help!
spacenoodle
Check out rev. F floppy drive emulator here:

http://lotharek.pl

I had Chris Hewitt at This Old Synth install one for me while my EII was in his shop for servicing. Did some of the setup myself - honestly, it was a little confusing. I've seen quite a few posts about people having problems setting it up. But the documentation is very detailed and there are a lot of people that can help you get it working. I highly recommend getting one if you use your EII a lot.
thispoison
I was thinking of doing the conversion on both my Emax and my EII, the former for convenience and the latter due to failing disk drives.

Does anyone know what's needed to convert my existing disks, as I have nothing with a 3 1/2 inch drive bar the Emax, and neither 5 1/4 inch drive on my EII is trustworthy.

Or are Hxc versions out there somewhere? hmmm.....
spacenoodle
You can use EMXP and and an old 3.5 drive connected to a PC, which is a pain in the ass. Otherwise, we'll get you a couple thousand HxC files to get you started. 8_)
artisan
Thanks Spacenoodle! I plan on doing the upgrade sooner or later. In the meantime if anyone has any disks they would like to part with I'm in the market! I literally just need 1 to test mine out. Might have to ring up Northstar if they're still around.
Sensory
definitely want to update my drive with the Lotharec solution.
silikon
Archive link right HERE

(has EII, EIII, EMAX)
Dopamine
spacenoodle wrote:
Otherwise, we'll get you a couple thousand HxC files to get you started. 8_)

Could you help me please to get started, as I have no HxC files?

Thanks
artisan
Anyone have a spare scanner diagnostic disk I could purchase? I would greatly appreciate it!
artisan
Hey silikon that link doesn't seem to work any longer. Do you have a current link? I know there is a box.com folder that people are using. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
mogigrumbles
I am also looking for these, planning on doing an SD drive update to my DPX-1.
spacenoodle
http://www.dblondin.com/samples/EII_HXC.zip

Extract the files, copy it to a SD card, insert it into your HxC equipped Emulator II and you are in business. If you can help it, don't use a Mac for the transfer because it will contaminate the SD card with hidden system files, possibly causing problems. Please grab this soon as it uses up a lot of space on my site - I'll keep it up for a few days.

The disk files are organized according to my impressions of all the sounds. Anyone with an Emulator II should have this stuff.
mogigrumbles
applause
b3nsf
Thank you so much as I have an HxC and an Oberheim DPX-1, which I haven't done anything with because I have no EII sounds.... THANKS!!!
thispoison
Many thanks for sharing, this is excellent.

My EII drives have all but died and/or the disks themselves have given up the ghost making boot-up a flaky ordeal.

This makes an HxC a realistic proposition for me now (although I'll still have to deal with the mid-sample crackling I was getting - Power Supply or DRAM ?!!).

Thanks again. Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
artisan
Thanks, spacenoodle! I will try this later this evening.
artisan
Got this working tonight. There are definitely some good sounds in here. Many thanks again spacenoodle! That's a prime example of what this community is all about!

Where did these samples come from? Are they your own or did they come from specific libraries?
spacenoodle
You're welcome.

Some I found via links people had posted on forums. Most of it I purchased from a UK guy (that seems to be taking advantage of the situation). There are some of my own sounds, like Mellotron stuff.

Finding an EII, getting it restored with new chips, backlit display, and NOS power supply, getting hold of an HxC drive, installing it properly, finding the sounds, converting them all. For me, the process took nearly a year. Now I have this GIANT sampler I love the sound of but it's on a stand so far away from my modular, I can't take full advantage of it. When it's close my creative space it's in the way. I wish I could get this sound in a smaller package!
gslug
Thanks spacenoodle! Downloading now.

spacenoodle wrote:
I wish I could get this sound in a smaller package!

For playback of E II samples, the Oberheim DPX-1 is great.
spacenoodle
gslug wrote:
For playback of E II samples, the Oberheim DPX-1 is great.

Surely, it doesn't have the same filters that are part of the EII presets?
b3nsf
dpx-1 has the SSM filters... but it sounds nice!
here's some DPX-1 in the main choir pad sound:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/b3nsf/latrondex-i-love-u[/s]
gslug
b3nsf beat me to it. It has the same SSM2045 filters. I'm not convinced it sounds 100% identical, but it does sound good and can usually be had quite cheaply.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3