The 960duino -

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

The 960duino -

Post by HowDoIKnow » Tue May 20, 2014 11:43 am

Hi

My arduino project, the '960duino', a clone of the Moog960/q960 is alive and happily send MIDI messages to my '50th Birthday Modular'.

Image
Image

The panel is a bit rough, the decal is drying and fading, but I did not want to make a proper one until I knew it worked!

A bit more information on it here.

HDIK
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Tue May 20, 2014 11:47 am

sorry, double-posted - I was trying to put it in the sticky thread.

mods please remove!

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:34 am
Location: Rosmalen, NL

Post by Jarno » Tue May 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Very nice project! Please do post the code here, very interested.

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I love it! Great work!!

C

User avatar
xclark
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Northern California

Post by xclark » Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

this looks cool!

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Wed May 21, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks guys - I've attached a zip file with the code.

I am sure someone will be able to improve/shorten it.

The more I look at the panel now the more I think it really needs a proper one!

HDIK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
zamp
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY State, USA

Re: The 960duino -

Post by zamp » Thu May 22, 2014 8:01 pm

HowDoIKnow wrote:My arduino project, the '960duino', a clone of the Moog960/q960 is alive and happily send MIDI messages to my '50th Birthday Modular'.
Wow!! That's very inspiring. I've thought off and on of trying to make a Teensy 3.1 based sequencer for my dotcom modular. You've shown me the way forward with that. As soon as I wrap up some house renovation projects, I think I'll give something like that a whirl.

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Re: The 960duino -

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sat May 24, 2014 6:23 am

zamp wrote:Wow!! That's very inspiring. I've thought off and on of trying to make a Teensy 3.1 based sequencer for my dotcom modular. You've shown me the way forward with that. As soon as I wrap up some house renovation projects, I think I'll give something like that a whirl.
Thanks - it's a pleasure!

I do think you have your priorities the wrong way around though.... :hihi:

HDIK
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 am

Post by euromorcego » Sat May 24, 2014 6:40 am

looks great indeed!

Do you think there is a way to sync/clock it from either midi clock or from the modular? Unfortunately, i am rather weak at programming, but to try a simple gate sequencer based on an arduino would be very tempting.

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sat May 24, 2014 8:05 am

euromorcego wrote:looks great indeed!

Do you think there is a way to sync/clock it from either midi clock or from the modular? Unfortunately, i am rather weak at programming, but to try a simple gate sequencer based on an arduino would be very tempting.
It is certainly possible, and I am looking into a major development of it along with a chap on the 5U forum, who has some great ideas and a cool panel.

In the meantime utilising the MIDI library for arduino, will give you MIDI in/thru/out.

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 am
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Contact:

Post by Synesthesia » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 am

I just ordered a mega ... I want to make a 960duino :)

Awesome :)

do you have more info on the type of knobs used - etc ?

capicoso
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Post by capicoso » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 am

It's possible to sync to midi clock in/out. But, for master clock, the way the code is written it won't work.
You're sequencing using the delay() function, that's a no-no. If you ever want to expand it and do something else at the "same time" the delay is happening, you won't be able to do so.
So, if you have a delay, let's say, 300ms each note, there are a lot of things happening with the midi clock that won't actually happen when the delay is blocking. You should use micros or millis. Nice project tho

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 am

Synesthesia wrote:I just ordered a mega ... I want to make a 960duino :)

Awesome :)

do you have more info on the type of knobs used - etc ?
Thanks very much.

The Knobs were all bought from the Maplin mail-order site, as were the led-holders. Pots are simple 10k Alphas. Momentary push-buttons and rotary switches were from evil-bay. The chicken-head knobs were from Ben at Re:Synthesis. The panel is from 'www.plasticpeople' and drilled. The decal is a laserprint and really not worth it for the eventual quality.

It's all wired together in a very noob way with pre-made jumper wires with little sockets, so I did minimal soldering. It is even still bread-boarded. The mux chips are bread-boarded as well! Very embarrassing but it was my first ever DIY project and I knew not what I did.

Capicoso - yes, it does use the delay() function - a previous version even had the dreaded 'GoTo' functions to step, but I could not show that one in public! I know this is not the best way - I tried to implement it as a 'State-machine', but could not get my head around the programming.

To see what you can really do with an arduino, look at Chrutil's amazing 4-sequencer module: here - much better job!

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by AlanP » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:14 am

Very very interested in this, since I'm waiting for some boards for a 960-alike (hope they work!) Except mine is with discrete 4000 series chips, I are not sarmt for coding microprocessors! Plus I haven't laid out the VCLFO to control it, or the logic to start and stop the VCLFO (I'll breadboard that part when the boards for the columns turn up.)

Have you done a photo of the back, at all?

Pretty dang sweet work :)

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:48 am

AlanP wrote:Very very interested in this, since I'm waiting for some boards for a 960-alike (hope they work!) Except mine is with discrete 4000 series chips, I are not sarmt for coding microprocessors! Plus I haven't laid out the VCLFO to control it, or the logic to start and stop the VCLFO (I'll breadboard that part when the boards for the columns turn up.)

Have you done a photo of the back, at all?

Pretty dang sweet work :)
Thanks very much. I have not dared take a picture of the back - imagine an explosion in a wire factory :oops: It's basically 4 breadboards with the mux chips and LEDs, all strung together with pre-made jumper wires, into headers. A right mess. Nothing cut to length or soldered. I really wanted to see if it woudl work, and have kept the prototype in my modular

Youtube demo video on its way....cheers!

Edit: And here it is!

[video][/video]

:bananaguitar:

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

capicoso
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Post by capicoso » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:00 am

HowDoIKnow wrote:
Synesthesia wrote:I just ordered a mega ... I want to make a 960duino :)

Awesome :)

do you have more info on the type of knobs used - etc ?
Thanks very much.

The Knobs were all bought from the Maplin mail-order site, as were the led-holders. Pots are simple 10k Alphas. Momentary push-buttons and rotary switches were from evil-bay. The chicken-head knobs were from Ben at Re:Synthesis. The panel is from 'www.plasticpeople' and drilled. The decal is a laserprint and really not worth it for the eventual quality.

It's all wired together in a very noob way with pre-made jumper wires with little sockets, so I did minimal soldering. It is even still bread-boarded. The mux chips are bread-boarded as well! Very embarrassing but it was my first ever DIY project and I knew not what I did.

Capicoso - yes, it does use the delay() function - a previous version even had the dreaded 'GoTo' functions to step, but I could not show that one in public! I know this is not the best way - I tried to implement it as a 'State-machine', but could not get my head around the programming.

To see what you can really do with an arduino, look at Chrutil's amazing 4-sequencer module: here - much better job!

hdik
I'm almost finishing a sequencer of my own too, It uses micros and sends midi clock. If you need a hand i'd be pleased to help

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 am

[quote="capicoso"

snip

I'm almost finishing a sequencer of my own too, It uses micros and sends midi clock. If you need a hand i'd be pleased to help[/quote]

Cheers - I'd be very interested in seeing it :guinness:

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:57 pm

This is really cool - just saw your new demo! Love it! Congratulations to your progress.

Great to see that there are a few people building Arduino sequencers (and other things). I'm just about far along to start documenting my process, but I'm not quite there with the documentation to start a DIY thread yet.

That said, if anyone is interested I just posted the Arduino source code for my sequencer - naturally it is somewhat specific to the hardware I am using in my build, but there's probably snippets of code or ideas that you can use if you want.
It is not at all my intention to hijack this thread, but I wanted to mention it in case the source code may help the 960duino project move away from delay based, to a timer/event based model.

http://www.chrutil.com/modular/diy/sequencer/

Keep it up!
C

User avatar
jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by jfloftin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Are you going to include the In and Out jacks at the bottom? These would be useful for pattern bussing sequencing techniques. Otherwise there is no added value to current systems that are on the market already. Just a suggestion and not meant to be negative. Would be a great kit. Would love to make a Euro version since pattern bussing is not an option in Euro that I know of.

User avatar
Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:43 am

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:21 am

very impressive !

:tu:

User avatar
HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Location: North o' the wood

Post by HowDoIKnow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks very much for the interest and kind words.

The 960duino project was really just a bit of fun, to get myself a '960 sequencer' before I even thought I could get a 5U modular setup. Just getting it to step was a major achievement for me! I had no previous programming experience at all.

Chrutil - thanks for posting the code - this just goes to show what you can do when you know what you're doing! I would never have got close to that level of programming, I am much too simple :hail: I'll need to spend a week or so contemplating the code :mrgreen:

jflotin - there is nothing to 'in and out' at the moment, it is purely out putting a MIDI signal, so there would also be nothing to stop you using little knobs and building a Euro version. Chrutil's version, however.......

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

User avatar
jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by jfloftin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:58 am

HowDoIKnow wrote:

jflotin - there is nothing to 'in and out' at the moment, it is purely out putting a MIDI signal, so there would also be nothing to stop you using little knobs and building a Euro version. Chrutil's version, however.......

hdik
Where is Chrutil's version?

User avatar
Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 am
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Contact:

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:10 am


JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Great job! :hail: I can't believe I missed it all this time! :doh:

User avatar
EATyourGUITAR
has no life
Posts: 5798
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 am
Location: Providence, RI, USA

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 am

I think that is great what you did. I actually love free or cheap panels. I love punk style builds where everything is diy. I have one detraction though. I have tried to do audio rate digital signals with the old 8 bit arduino 328P. even with some clock hacking, you can get 3ms delay if the code has a lot of IF statements, floating point math, sensor read / write. it depends on if you use the same analogread() that everyone uses. this project can also be done with CD4000 series logic. it is not impossible to code from the ground up. it just requires an understanding of how CD4000 IC work.

I have some presettable UP/DOWN counters I was planning to use for a 16bit parallel DAC VCO DC coupled output. the same IC can be used for forward/reverse ping pong style progression. you can use diodes on each jack if you want to have dedicated select buttons and jacks for each step. the diodes are hardwired to the preset inputs on the UP/DOWN counters. BCD decoders convert the binary to the individual gate outs + LED's.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”