MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

got 6550-99 today, made track, felt good
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Author got 6550-99 today, made track, felt good
John_Chowning
Wow. My ZI Thyratron Oscillator arrived today. Naturally I don't even know how to use it yet, not really, not deeply, but I had to record the sounds that came out of it. Here it is, filtered by a Dotcom Q107 and accompanied by a Monotribe (which is being run through an overdriven tube amp)

headbang headbang headbang
https://soundcloud.com/user3860819/484-possession-cruftworld
headbang headbang headbang

Just scratching the surface, really. I feel so lucky to be able to buy and install this module in my system. We are living in a wonderful age, a future age. An age of tubes. Tubes are the future. Someday all the world's supercomputers will run on tubes.

You should all get all the ZI you can.

It's a sunny day. I am going out for a walk now.
Kent
That is a nasty and nasally sounding bitch you've got there. I do enjoy how it farts out around 02:47.
zerosum
w00t!! Lotsa Love
WOW! I'm speechless!
Thank you so much for showing us your adventures with the module!
I love it when I get to hear how people use the module(s). w00t

Thank you for your interest and your purchase.
Thanks for supporting the Muff store too w00t
It's good that I(and everyone else) can run their modules through the shop and have it support the forum at the same time. w00t

My internet connectivity is going to be spotty for the next few days,
but I'll try to write some more about the module and it's possibilities when I get a chance.

If you have any questions or weird patches I need to try, drop a line.
w00t 8_)

Quote:
Someday all the world's supercomputers will run on tubes.

Once upon a time they did wink

6AS6/5725 has been used in computers for logic functions.
weinglas
That sounds so great! Really special applause
John_Chowning
i was away from the internets for a few days. thanks all for your positive, non-oscillating feedback.

at the risk of becoming that guy who posts links to his own stuff, here's one more track based around the ZI 6550-99.

https://soundcloud.com/user3860819/485-ozone-dub-cruftworld

The melody line comes from the 6550-99, the bassline and percussion from an overdriven Monotribe. What I find most surprising is how well the 6550-99 stays in tune - the ZI "manual" thread says not to mess with the instability switch or the interference knob (that might not be the official name - I mean the middle one, directly below the smaller tube) if you want it to stay in tune. But I'm messing with both of them in this track and when I drift back to the 'normal' end of that knob, tuning is still really close (I corrected by ear at one point during this track)...

definitely an oscillator that rewards slow tweaking and drifting between pitch and weirdness....
zerosum
Quote:
at the risk of becoming that guy who posts links to his own stuff, here's one more track based around the ZI 6550-99.

I like the guy that posts links to his musical adventures wink
It's hard to translate the experience into a recording since the journey is usually the destination.

I wish my studio and speakers were setup so I could properly hear this,
but so far I love what I am hearing on my treble blaster speakers in the laptop!
lol

Quote:
not to mess with the instability switch or the interference knob (that might not be the official name - I mean the middle one, directly below the smaller tube) if you want it to stay in tune. But I'm messing with both of them in this track and when I drift back to the 'normal' end of that knob, tuning is still really close

It's annoying when looking at a tuner! lol
It drifts and twitches all over the place, but eventually all synth masters find a way to make it work.
Thanks for sharing your experience. w00t
weinglas
The second one is an amazing track! applause

Love the sound of Brian's new oscillator love That really is the first time in my life that I am thinking about a small 5U system very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Page 1 of 1