MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pedals vs. modular FX?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author pedals vs. modular FX?
toschek
I see a lot of people recommending modular FX over pedals, and I'm a little curious as to why when you can get a module like the Doepfer A-138d or the new FX insert/rec. from ALM? Is there a good reason not to use pedals or to keep it modular? There just are so many pedals out there that are just better all around than their modular equivalents, I'm curious as to why someone would recommend an A-199 Spring Reverb over a pedal reverb when the pedal reverb would be useful in more than just one situation?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area, it seemed too general for the Eurorack sub forum specifically.
bkbirge
For most situation I'd agree with you. In the case of the A-199, it's just a kickass spring reverb module. And in pedal format there aren't that many real spring reverbs.

I think a lot of folks get hung up on having to have CV control over every parameter even though many times there is no real utility, so there is a perception that a module will have more control than a pedal even if rarely or never used that way.

There are also many pedals that have CV control.

Then there is the accessibility argument and not having to lug around a separate bag of pedals and deal with 1/4" to 1/8" converters, etc. There are good reasons for whatever side of the fence you choose.
wyrtti
One big difference is that modular effects often have Control Voltage inputs for various parameters. These are alot of fun in the modular.

Another thing is workflow. If you are immersed in creating a sound in the modular and then have patch outside, it can disrupt the process or feel.

Of course these things vary from person to person. Both ways of using effects are great!

Cheers,
Topi
TimeRaveler
I went for the Memory Boy Deluxe because it had a CV input and the ability to route the feedback out and back in...guess how many times I've used either of those features: twice.

Mostly I just tweak effects by hand or leave them set in place to round out the sound. So my vote goes for pedals, plus they don't take up rack space and you can use them with other gear easier.
pulsewidth
I only use pedals with my modular. I can't envision a situation where I'd want to control any effects parameters with CV, so it suits my workflow to use external effects. That said, I have modified my EHX Freeze to accept an external trigger/gate to activate the Freeze effect.
Dave Peck
I think the question of 'how important is CV capability' depends a lot of the type of effect you are talking about. For example, having CV input capabilities for the various parameters of a phase shifter can make it far more versatile and musically useful than a phaser pedal with no external CV capabilities. Distortion effects, maybe not so much.
zapp550
pulsewidth wrote:
That said, I have modified my EHX Freeze to accept an external trigger/gate to activate the Freeze effect.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, is there a post somewhere on how mod the freeze for this?
GGW
I've just gotten into modular to get away from the pedals. I want to have everything in one box, all on one power supply and patchable. The pedals run at a lower signal level and do not necessarily integrate with the modular signal without a level interface. I think I see a bigger range of effects in modular than pedals.
rjungemann
It's much cheaper to use pedals, and pedals don't take up rack space. Pedals also have more variety and can be used with other gear much more easily.
Soundifferent
I owned a bunch of pedals, from small MXRs to moogerfoogers. Some of them are really in a league of their own but, in the end Here I am, with a small eurorack and an Alesis Bitrman (love it).
I know, some pedals are just perfect for their hands-on tweakability but I've never been able to do what I'm currently doing with a Doepfer BBD delay and a nice simple patch! w00t
eclectics
I just got myself a mini kaoss pad for a bunch of effects and hands on tweaking. Cheap and fun. I'm not concerned about hifi.

At some point I'd like to get a spring reverb unit for the modular, maybe build the music thing one. They sound great.
Nuuj
GGW wrote:
I've just gotten into modular to get away from the pedals. I want to have everything in one box, all on one power supply and patchable. The pedals run at a lower signal level and do not necessarily integrate with the modular signal without a level interface. I think I see a bigger range of effects in modular than pedals.

Yeah I sold most of my pedals to get into modular.
I still have a handful I use with my rock band, but integration with my modular just seems like more trouble than it's worth, particularly when playing live.
There are a zillion pedals in the world, but most are just clones of earlier designs with new graphics and the rate that new ideas are produced seems much slower than Eurorack.
sygor
pulsewidth wrote:
I only use pedals with my modular. I can't envision a situation where I'd want to control any effects parameters with CV, so it suits my workflow to use external effects. That said, I have modified my EHX Freeze to accept an external trigger/gate to activate the Freeze effect.

Anyone who likes or is interested in the freeze should check out the EHX Superego. It's an advanced version of the freeze with layers and a send and return on it. Here's a nice video showing it.

MindMachine
zapp550 wrote:
pulsewidth wrote:
That said, I have modified my EHX Freeze to accept an external trigger/gate to activate the Freeze effect.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, is there a post somewhere on how mod the freeze for this?

Ditto on this hyper

I have a mix of modular effects and pedals (used w/ A-138d or on output module). They are all different effects and versions so I like both. Malgorithm is different than Particle, BBD modules ar different than MXR Carbon Copy or Peavy Chorus, etc.
ETP
eclectics wrote:
I just got myself a mini kaoss pad for a bunch of effects and hands on tweaking. Cheap and fun. I'm not concerned about hifi.

At some point I'd like to get a spring reverb unit for the modular, maybe build the music thing one. They sound great.

modular kaoss pad would be great
onlyHzwhenI...
I have a EHX SuperEgo and can attest to it's badassedness. If there's a way to make it/ the Freeze pedals CV friendly that would be awesome!
pulsewidth, please do a write up on how your Freeze was modified, that would be a great pedal for modularization.

Back on topic, if you have pedals it seems a waste to not use them, but I agree w Nuuj, most new pedals are just rehash of older designs. Not that that's a bad thing!

~JT
Funky40
i use some Guit Fx with my modular on one side,
while on the other, my modular is initself a 2m2 FX unit.
I sometimes even listen vinyls thru my modular with some live "remastering".
What i barely do is repatching the external FX back to the modular.
what i much more should do is to patch my modular thru the octatrack and use it as a live tweakable multi FX.
.....now we have a third group of FX in the play lol

COMBINE IT

personally i think, at one day, the whole guitar FX thing has to move into a rack,
something like a eurorack lol
adjust things with "human ergonomics", control from floor boards, ....CV floorboards.
everything else is unlogic if not stupid to my sense.
but for now, some GT FX are just superieur IMHO...or at least VERY good design
scozbor
There is no "Vs"

Pedals are just external modules, and can be both more convenient and more cumbersome depending on the situation.

I would actually love to see more synth related pedals like oscillators, envelopes, etc.

I have the copilot FX broadcast LFO pedal for example - and its amazing!
GNE
There is way more variety in guitar FX than modular FX.
True, most guitar FX are boring remakes of old designs.... there are so many clones of Tube Screamers, Big Muffs, fuzz faces, etc.... but when added into the modular world, a lot of what is boring for guitar becomes interesting.

I also sold a lot of my pedals when I got into modular, but now I am buying a lot of it back. There are some really great boxes out there. The Superego, Red Panda Granular Delay, a lot of the Earthquaker stuff, Death By Audio. etc... Its endless amounts to choose from, especially if you consider all of the pedals made from the 1960s to now.

There are also lots of great rack effects if you are open to the idea of that format. Ive been using a Eventide Eclipse with my modular. Its great.
toschek
So I caved and bought a springray & Eko. It will be kind of nice having a cleaner desk (at least my rationalization)...
pantalones
toschek wrote:
I see a lot of people recommending modular FX over pedals, and I'm a little curious as to why when you can get a module like the Doepfer A-138d or the new FX insert/rec. from ALM? Is there a good reason not to use pedals or to keep it modular? There just are so many pedals out there that are just better all around than their modular equivalents, I'm curious as to why someone would recommend an A-199 Spring Reverb over a pedal reverb when the pedal reverb would be useful in more than just one situation?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area, it seemed too general for the Eurorack sub forum specifically.

No it's a great question and it really depends on two decisions:

• do you want CV control of the FX?
• if so, do you need them tightly integrated ergonomically in your setup?

For things like the Z-DSP, the integration with the modular, ergonomically, is what it's all about. CV control of every parameter of a valhalladsp reverb, for example. So ask yourself if you are someone who will want to control reverb compositionally (cv control), or just set it and forget it (pedal on the output).

After deciding that the asys comb filter, e580, and other delays would not match the audio quality i wanted in my sounds, i decided to go strymon timeline on the main output, into an eventide space. So those two things are not cv controlled (they can be via midi, but i don't).

Within the modular I chose esoteric fx like the echophon where CV control is integral to patch/sound design.
clusterchord
both is nice, pedals as well as modular fx.

pedals are great especially in a setup that isn't only based on modular synth but other synths, instruments, bass guitars etc. so you can move it arround repatch it easily in various configurations. as for euro, i plan to add a utility ALM to address level issues and that's that.

some fx really do not "need" CV that much. or you would use it once in a blue moon. i like set n forget here. for example dirt pedals: fuzzes, distortion and overdrives, chorus, ensemble.

for complex stuff where CV shines, like with delays/pich shifter euro has many options - i use echophon for this. still waiting to see what will erbeverb offer, but in general i'm not that interested in CVing reverbs.. we'll see.

phaser flanger and delays exist in between worlds - being pedals but with some limited CV. tho i usually just tweak em by hand. i've used CV maybe once. would like to see more classic phaser designs in euro tho. biphase circuit for example. and made in smaller simpler modules. the new pitts or schipmann are just overkill for me.
WabashDiscord
For me, it depends on the application. I am currently sending my signal out via a Pittsburgh InOut to some effect pedals (mostly a POD HD) and I could see some added benefit to being able to modulate some parameters.

Especially on a delay unit.

I am really intrigued by the phaser Pittsburgh has made and would love to play around with it.

I would assume, in the future, similar to how people have smaller, separate units for their control modules, one would do the same for their modular effects.
Vsyevolod
I run a 6 panel Serge system through a shitload of MoogerFoogers, 14 at present. Though I have full access to a lot of CV parameters, I find myself preferring just to tweak the Foogers by hand and keep CV to the Serge. Every once in a while, I'll use the CP-251 Fooger to add some LFO or noise to the other Foogers, or send a CV from a Serge sequencer to the Fooger FreqBox, but for the most part, CV stays in the Serge alone.

Moog makes some very high quality stomp boxes that work really great with a modular. They come highly recommended by me.

There's also a full complement of Electrix rack units, as well as a Sherman FilterBank and Kurzweil's Rumour and Mangler (similar to Eventide in quality). These usually stay at the end of the chain though sometimes find their way into the middle of it all.

Stephen

square_wave
Seriously, does anyone have a link to how to do this mod? Thanks in advance.

zapp550 wrote:
pulsewidth wrote:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2