MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New enclosure for Power One HCC15-3-A Linear Power Supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New enclosure for Power One HCC15-3-A Linear Power Supply
waveglider
I have been working on this for a while and just got the enclosure back from the fabricator so I wanted to share this new project of mine.

I designed an external enclosure for the HCC-15-3 series after deciding that liner power supplies were the way to go. These power supplies are open frame and need to be mounted as well as have adequate ventilation.
After seeing many creative enclosures here I decided to make something from the ground up that covers the following:

-16 gauge cold rolled steel construction with powder coated finish.
-The power supply drops in and bolts down to increase thermal dissipation via conduction.
-Internal vents positioned to maximize convection cooling
-Filtered IEC AC inlet
-3 Amp resettable circuit breaker on the mains
-LED readout of BOTH Voltage AND Current for each rail woah

I am putting it together now and so far it's looking pretty good!

bkbirge
That's truly awesome. Love the design. An ammeter on a euro power supply is actually a pretty useful idea I'd think, given how often we trade modules around. The only thing I would have liked to see is a +5 independent supply as part of the package. I would have also put the IEC and power switch on the back.
JohnLRice
Very nice! thumbs up
ndkent
bkbirge wrote:
That's truly awesome. Love the design. An ammeter on a euro power supply is actually a pretty useful idea I'd think, given how often we trade modules around. The only thing I would have liked to see is a +5 independent supply as part of the package. I would have also put the IEC and power switch on the back.

Power One (who makes the HCC-15-3) makes different model supplies with +12, -12 and +5v. Would have to research the models (different amps) and the footprint of the supply. One would also have to use something other than XLR connectors to include +5v, which I personally think have the possibility of an accident if one uses lots of XLRs for other uses.

I can see why the the connections are all on one side, note that the power one supply being used has 2 sides open on it's chassis. I'm sure one could redesign the enclosure deeper, or maybe even just push the supply forward and snake things around but that's sort of a kludge. I'm not the expert on these supplies. I assume it's properly vented but one does want to keep ventilation and cooling in mind, you know, not put stuff on top of it or surround it in a tight space.
waveglider
Thanks for the comments!
It is possible to also include the +5v as well and have another set of meters for it. I can swap the XLR to 4pin version to make that work, and add a daughterboard to produce the +5v. For me though, I usually have the +5v on my distro boards in the modular case so it's just simpler to only have the +/-12v feeding the rack.
I thought about AC in the back, but this way it fits better on a shelf and you can see everything all at once.
The nice thing about this is you can easily adjust to +/- 15v for 5U.
daverj
Hopefully you disconnected the typical sense line jumpers and ran the sense lines to a point after the meters. (not enough resolution in the pics, but they look like the jumpers are still there)
waveglider
Yes, sense line will ultimately go direct to the XLR connectors, but for now I'm just setting up to test the PS.
Stewart Pye
It looks good.

Just make sure no one plugs a mic into it! 4 pin XLR connectors would be safer.

Regards,
Stewart.
waveglider
My modular cases are wired up for 3pin XLR power so it works for my application, but I definitely realize the potential for confusion and would most likely utilize Neutrik PowerCon connectors for all future builds.
waveglider
I did a test last night under load to check thermal dissipation.
I ran my rack last week with the Power One Supply sitting on the bench by itself in open air and ran it at 12v with 1.25 Amps on the +12 and .98 Amps on the -12v.

After 2 hours the power transistor case measured 135 deg F

After bolting the power supply into the case, closed it up, and testing using the same load I found:

After 2 hours, I took the lid off (felt pretty warm), measured the transistor case and it was only 108 deg F!

This is great news. The enclosure further acts as a heat sink and the convection currents from the vents can be felt if you put your hand on top so I'm pretty happy with thermal properties and it definitely does not need a fan.
tojpeters
Very nice.
waveglider
Now testing under load. Left side is -V, right is +V
urbanscallywag
Beautiful! Seems like one of the biggest barriers to using a linear supply is the case. It would be fun to do a run of Power One cases.
Cat-A-Tonic
urbanscallywag wrote:
Beautiful! Seems like one of the biggest barriers to using a linear supply is the case. It would be fun to do a run of Power One cases.

Please do.

Ideally for one with ~3.6Amps.

The trouble is finding a casing solution that is off the shelf
and reasonably priced.
The one Fonik collaborated on also looked nice,
but seemed pretty pricey for what it was IMO.
grilojoe
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
urbanscallywag wrote:

Please do.

Ideally for one with ~3.6Amps.

The trouble is finding a casing solution that is off the shelf
and reasonably priced.
The one Fonik collaborated on also looked nice,
but seemed pretty pricey for what it was IMO.

Totally agree that finding something ready-made is difficult. I spent hours scouring ebay for an enclosure and finally found one that fit my PowerOne almost exactly. It's perhaps not as heavy as I'd like, but aside from that, I'm quite happy with it so far.
dougt
LMB makes and still sells the cases Rex uses -

http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=16
waveglider
I could do a run of these cases if there is enough interest. The price would be around $125-135 depending on the run size, and this is for the case only, no electronics or hardware.

Questions would then be if folks would want a full blown power supply all assembled and ready to go or something with all the wires ready to hook up to your own Power One unit?
The case design as I have it allows the power supply unit to drop in and bolt down to the case, all you have to do after that is connect the wiring so it's pretty straightforward.

Since I designed this specifically for my modular cases, I have XLR inputs on the rear of the cases to hook up to the power supply. I could also make a 6hp Eurorack power inlet module that would allow power entry into most any rack if that is also something people might like to have.
wavehead
i'm definitely interested as i already have an HCC15 (in a mixer case that is pretty much a total waste of space/weight)... except personally i would be interested in something cheaper and maybe more simplified...

which might just be this:

Quote:
LMB makes and still sells the cases Rex uses -

http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=16

maybe you could offer something akin to a "faceplate" for cases like those linked above?
this could lower costs a lot.

considering how easy it is to get cheap a HCC15 it would make the most sense (IMO) for people to source themselves.
waveglider
One of those LMB cases in the proper dimensions to fit a HCC15 would be at least $90, and you still need to do all the work to mount the PS and then get the face cut for all the switches and jacks, that would double your cost in labor alone (by yourself or others). Just making a faceplate for an LMB enclosure would be around $40-60 in low quantity, so for a little more than twice that you have a whole case finished with cutouts and Santex powder coat.
The case I made is designed to specifically fit the HCC15 (even has threaded studs built inside) so mounting it is a breeze comparatively. The size is also as compact as you can get and still allow for good convection cooling.
Also my case is a much heavier 16 gauge steel compared to the much lighter 18 gauge Aluminum of the LMB.

It would be entirely possible to offer something that all you need to do is bolt in the PS, solder the wires on and go. I think offering a case with power switch, circuit breaker, IEC inlet, all the volt/amp meters, and the choice of whatever output connector you desire that fits within the standard Neutrik D cutout (3 or 4 pin XLR, Powercon, etc.) would appeal to folks who can do the remaining wiring on their own.
prscrptn
Great Work! I'm interested... thumbs up
msprigings
waveglider wrote:

It would be entirely possible to offer something that all you need to do is bolt in the PS, solder the wires on and go. I think offering a case with power switch, circuit breaker, IEC inlet, all the volt/amp meters, and the choice of whatever output connector you desire that fits within the standard Neutrik D cutout (3 or 4 pin XLR, Powercon, etc.) would appeal to folks who can do the remaining wiring on their own.

I built a PSU with an HCC153A and a hammond case and had to hand cut all the holes and it was an enormous pain. Having the faceplate and such all ready to go is worth every penny. The LED readouts are icing on the cake! Looks fantaastic. I personally used the speakOn which as you mentioned fits the same hole I believe? Will be watching this thread.
jpauty
Really nice love

Even if it's not a thread to gauge interest, I'm interested !

For the amp and volt display, did you make a specific board ?
spneca
I'm also in for one, if there is a run of them.
waveglider
I am getting close to finalizing things and will have an idea of pricing in the next week of so.
I think there is enough interest in this so I will proceed in getting this going ASAP!

jpauty- the LED boards are existing OEM units that I do some minor customization to get them to work with bipolar outputs.
spunkytoofers
Interest piqued
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3