MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack GPS tracker
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Eurorack GPS tracker
Bobby
dont suppose anyones made one of these? (cos I'm paranoid)

...would obviously need rechargeable batteries off the rail.
thiagozt
I've been thinking a lot about this lately...
CF3
http://www.lojack.com/
JohnLRice
I keep thinking that it should be possible to hookup a cheap mobile phone that is GPS enabled inside a modular case. It would charge off the +5v rail any time you had it on and then you could use your main smart phone, tablet or computer to track it down.
ether
I'm considering some kind of "Kensington lock" connector for my portable case.
JohnLRice
Someone should make a security module with the GPS tracker, a Kensington lock opening and indelible ink dye that shoots out the jack holes if the correct code isn't entered. hihi
Dcramer
Build an old iPhone into your case in a hidden spot with power.
Activate tracking when needed.
w00t
Kingnimrod
I have thought about this as well. I wonder if all the modular stuff would interfere with GPS.
celestial tomes
let's keep this goin. it means a lot for the travelers. somebody make this
no-fi
GPS doesn't work well at all indoors. so yeah, a smartphone with network assist and wifi location ID is probably your best bet for doing this.

You'd want a special 5V adapter to charge it. I'd be most worried about cell network transactions screwing up your audio when you were actually using the synth.
nathanxl
no-fi wrote:
...I'd be most worried about cell network transactions screwing up your audio when you were actually using the synth.

You could have it come on when the modular is turned off and visavis...
Adamalthus
Seems like this product would fit most of the requirements. http://www.globaltrackinggroup.com/gps-tracking-devices-products.cfm including hibernating when at rest, activation over the air - so trackable when needed - low voltage charging etc.
kao:be.
need some DYI to put into the rack, but worth a check I think:
http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp
Joe.
Pop an RC Plane 'UHF beacon' in your case?

They're super cheap, and searching for things using a Yagi looks cool.
kao:be.
kao:be. wrote:
need some DYI to put into the rack, but worth a check I think:
http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp

I have some more time, so I drop a few more details here:
this device is equipped with GPS and a sim card (so it works indoors, and it sends cell information via sms in case the GPS can't connect to a any satellite)
it is also equipped with a movement sensor, so if someone lifts or moves your device it sends an sms. this feature can be switched off.

version 2 of the device is in the pipeline and it will also support GLONASS which is the Russian alternative of the GPS.
Both GPS and GLONASS has some advantages over the other, so it is good to have both.

also in version 2: I have no idea how you call it in english, but in version two the device will be equipped with a "radio-locator" or "radio direction finder".
So once you have located your stolen device with e.g. GPS and it has led you to a huge apartment building with 50 apartments, you can use the radio device to get closer and closer to your device by checking the strength and the direction of the radio signal, and locate the exact floor/apartment where you can find your stolen stuff.

a smartphone app is also going to be implemented if I'M correct

BTW i'm not working for integrated trackers grin I just read about this product on the net earlier, so don't take any of the "to be released" features as a fact.

it worth checking I think. the spy-lamp looks very easy to build into a synth-case.
Bobby
@Kao:be that is very interesting. The fact it has a USB charger could be good. Anyone know of a eurorack to USB converter?
FetidEye
the first thing i thought about:
GPS data is pretty useless for modulations unless you drive around with your modular case. Then it might be something like a very slow(?) LFO
bkbirge
Bobby wrote:
@Kao:be that is very interesting. The fact it has a USB charger could be good. Anyone know of a eurorack to USB converter?

Synthwerks lamp modules would work for this.
Bogus
How about a module that fires poison darts if someone without the right fingerprint flips the power on?
zoogoo
Don't they make a relatively cheap scanner that can find any cellphone, lojak or and GPS tracker? They could drive the module to a random location and rip it out. Maybe there is a scanner scrambler that can also be installed?
AW198
zoogoo wrote:
Don't they make a relatively cheap scanner that can find any cellphone, lojak or and GPS tracker? They could drive the module to a random location and rip it out. Maybe there is a scanner scrambler that can also be installed?

Dude how expensive is your modular if you're thinking it through this far
mattsb
At a much more reasonable price point, https://www.thetileapp.com

It's passive-ish, relies on a broad community of other people who run the Tile app for tracking, cheap, and easy to hide in your case behind the busboard.
johny_gtr
it will be more interesting to have engraved s/n on each module with open/MW database. Cars with many with s/n are not so interesting for thieves like car with unnumbered parts.

On live performances you just need a friend or two who can look at your stuff when you need to talk with some guys. Every musician has an experience of lost item on the gig
zoogoo
AW198 wrote:
zoogoo wrote:

Dude how expensive is your modular if you're thinking it through this far
maybe around 4 so far
zoogoo
Bogus wrote:
How about a module that fires poison darts if someone without the right fingerprint flips the power on?
i was thinking of something that gases them, then you can draw a bunch of penis's on their face with sharpy before cops show up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2