MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mattson VC Mixer Debug
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mattson VC Mixer Debug
Ambriant
I've been building a Mattson quad vcm for my .com modular and for the life of me I can't get any sound out of it. I've read over all the documentation and my cabling terminations (red/white/black etc...) is as the pamphlet instructs.

Does anyone know of some obvious thing I might have missed? At first I thought it was bad crimping on my custom mta connectors, but I even removed them for all ch1 ins and outs, and soldered straight to the board and still nothing. I adjusted the gain pots, to no avail. I've checked the + and - 15v connections and they are all as should be. I will attach some photos to follow.

I'm testing against 0-5v cv and an audio input, with no sound at inverted or non-inverted output. Maybe I don't know how to use the module correctly, but I would still expect some sort of output regardless. seriously, i just don't get it

Please offer anything you think I might need to inspect. Thanks in advance.
JohnLRice
Can you post some pictures of your build?
mmm
Pix would definitely help.
Ambriant
top view and side view.
mmm
My experience with those style jacks is that (referencing the top pic) the tip connection should be on the top-near side, the sleeve should be on the top, far side near the panel and the tip switch connection should be on the bottom near side.

It looks like you wired the ground to the sleeve switch connection. the red to the tip switch connection and the white to the tip.

Swap the wires to the opposite sides and you should be good to go.
As wired, as soon as you patch in, it disconnects the signals.

G

Mattson Mini Modular
mmm
PS. If your Ch 3 doesn't work after you do that. The red wire on the top-left CF3A connector may be suspect and need to be seated better into the fork.

That's the Channel 3 input connector.

G
Ambriant
Thanks George. That's the problem. Duh.... I even ran a continuity test on the first jack before I soldered them ALL up. I must have not been paying attention. eek!

I just tested the jack, and you're right, I've got the sides swapped. I'll fix them all and look forward to using the module. I've got a quad VCA to do next and I look forward to that also.

Thanks very much for the quick response. Thanks all!
mmm
No problem.

I just happen to pick up that exact same style for my new Express module.

I had to look at them real close to figure out the pins and which side was which. So, don't feel bad.

If I hadn't done that recently, I wouldn't have noticed and we'd still be here trying to figure it out.

Phew! Dead Banana

Enjoy them.

You can adjust those trims to actually give you a gain as well if need be. Sort of a VC controlled pre-amp.

Have fun!

G
Ambriant
I have rewired all the jacks correctly. Ch's 3 and 4 work as I would expect. I can modulate the volume up and down using an envelope into the cv in and audio on the audio in.

Ch's 1 and 2 work as a mixer only. The cv doesn't modulate the amplitude on these two channels.

Lastly, the cascading priority switching is not working at all. I've only wired up one of the two switch lugs per jack. I wired to the sleeve of each. Do I need to short to both ring and tip for the switching to work? Like in the photo's above? I figured the sleeve was enough, but not certain.

Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks again. Great fun!!!

applause
mmm
The CV cascade function is totally mechanical.

The white wire to the tip switch on CF2C, CV1-input jack provides 5V cascaded to all of the CV inputs so that the module can be used as a normal mixer if nothing is plugged into the CV jack. When you plug in a CV, it disconnects the 5V cascaded from that point on down and the CV you plugged in takes over and replaces the the internal 5V on all subsequent channels.

On the board, the 5V goes to the white wire for the Ch 1 CV jack and connects to the tip switch (the position of where you have the red wire on the upper right jack on the above picture).

The CV return wire for channel 1 (Red wire) goes to the tip connector on the jack (where the white wire is on the top right jack on the above pic).
On the board, the signal goes to the Ch 1 CV gain circuitry AND also is traced directly to the CH 2 CV-input white wire on CF2D. Which gets connected to the Ch 2 CV input jack the same way that the channel 1 jack was wired.

And it mechanically daisy chains down the CV-input jack chain down to Ch 4.

So, you need the red wire to the tip, the white wire to the tip switch and the ground black wire to sleeve pin on the jack (the pin closest to the panel below where you have the white wire connected on the above pic.)

Short answer...yes, you need to wire up all of them for the cascade function to work since the switch part of the jacks was an integral part of the design.

And...I don't see any ring connections on your jacks. That section has no terminals in the pic. But, you don't need them anyway.

Wire them all up and see if the rest of the stuff goes away.

nanners

G
Ambriant
Thanks George. I will do just that.

Does that 5v cascade come from the power header or is it internal stepped down off the +15 volt? Just curious, cause I may need to replace that mta jumper, as I cut that 5v pin on my debug, in suspect that it was causing an issue. No worries. I have an extra connector I can solder onto the board if need be.
mmm
No, it's an on-board resistor divider. Tapping directly off the power rail sets people up for big disasters. Dead Banana

Gotta think safe and try to design around any potential hazards that may occur.

G
Ambriant
I figured that, but I just clipped it, just in case. Won't mater. I'll rewire the switches and post the front panel and all when through. Thanks again. Have been jamming with the working ch all night and it's very useful. Love it! Can't have enough VCA/M's in the rig. I like to modulate things in and out rather slowly, to keep things from being so constant. More algorithmic that way, me thinks. Anyhow cheers, and thanks again. 8_)
mmm
thumbs up

The quad VCA is the same module without the outputs mixed. Oddly, it took more stuff to produce separate channel outputs.....whoda thunk.

But, keep your VCM adventures in mind when you wire it up.

Would love to see your panels when done.
w00t

G
Ambriant
Mattson Quad VCM custom DIY. Drill press through a .com double blank. White fine tip paint marker for text. The best text solution I've found thus far. Not perfect, but ok for my taste.

I have made a template that I will use when I duplicate this panel for the Mattson quad VCA I'm building next. There will be the addition from 2 out's to 4 outs, is the only difference. I'm using Neutrik jacks, which I wouldn't suggest using on .com panel projects. They look cool, but they are large, difficult to mount, and cause more trouble than they're worth.

http://www.modulargrid.net/d/other-unknown-mattson-mini-quad-vc-mixer

I have uploaded the panel image to ModularGrid. The current, i = 1 ma specifications are inaccurate. George, if you'd like me to make them accurate, feel free to specify here, and I'll update the module specs...

thumbs up
mmm
The specs are on my WIKI pages for each module.

http://www.mattsonminimodular.com[url]/wiki/index.php?title=Voltage_Co ntrolled_Mixer[/url]
Ambriant
So I had ordered the Quad VCA and a Quad VCM. I'm still reworking the VCM...long story...learning curve on my behalf. I'll get the VCM working very soon. No worries.

On a side note, I thought I'd play it safe with my VCA board, since I don't have the MTA tool. I ordered a pack of MTA accessory cables from Mattson Mini, and they arrived quickly, and they worked out great. Next Mattson I build, I think I'll just let Mattson build the cables or I need to buy a proper tool. Making MTA cables is my least favorite thing to do when fabricating my DIY modules. But that's just me. (Buy a 40 dollar tool if your building with MTA connectors, or you risk bad crimping....that's my advice.)

Anyhow, got the VCA installed into my new two tier, MU case and it works wonderfully. I've left all the gains at unity for this module. I'll probably boost the gains slightly on the VCM pcb trimmer pots and use that module for a similar scenario to the VCA, but where I need a little more gain....

Thanks George for all the support!!! Great modules, and I'll probably order another module from you down the road, before too long. applause
mmm
thumbs up
Ambriant
So after removing the headers, I tore out a few vias. But I am now happy to say that I've got it working again. Everything works aside for the inverting output. I couldn't see where the traces for that connector go, and I can't find a schematic on the forum.

Does anyone know where to solder the 2 inverting output nodes, for a situation where the via is roached?

Suggestions welcome. Great module!!! Glad to be using it again!

d'oh!
mmm
Hi Ambriant.

On CN4 for CF4D for the inverting output,

the first connector on the far left goes to ground. Which is that big strip that circles the perimeter of the board bottom.

Pin 2 is no connection.

Pin 3 goes to R52, which is the left resistor directly above the pin 2 pad.
the trace just scoots diagonally to the closest pad of that resistor.
Ambriant
Thanks George. I was hoping you'd chime in. Great support as always!

I've got my eye on one of your LFO boards. I'm going to order one of those soon. With cable pack, of course. lol
mmm
thumbs up It's motherfucking bacon yo
mirf59
Do y'all know if this Mattson mixer module is still available somewhere?
mmm
mirf59 wrote:

The Quad VCM?

Last I looked, they were still in my cart thumbs up

http://www.mattsonminimodular.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_inf o&cPath=1_2_15&products_id=44

Mattson Mini Modular
mirf59
mmm wrote:
mirf59 wrote:

The Quad VCM?

Last I looked, they were still in my cart thumbs up

http://www.mattsonminimodular.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_inf o&cPath=1_2_15&products_id=44

Mattson Mini Modular

Thank you, George. Are these kits 2 x 2.5 MU? There's a 2MU version of the dual vc mixer, as pictured in this thread, on modular grid. Would two of the kits at link you provided equal one of the dual, covering the same real estate but in a different layout? I think 8 channels would ensure I don't run out.

Finally, how hard would you rate the build on a scale of 1 to 10? This would be my first DIY module(s).

Thanks in advance.

Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2