MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Index of Module Functions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Index of Module Functions
MoonPoly
Howdy
So I´ve been following the modular world for a short time (I know my synthesis pretty well) but modules are new to me and many names and function escape me ..

I mean besides the usual LFO´s OSC´s, VCA´s & F´s .. you have: attenuators, dividers, quantizers, waveshapers, folding modules (?) I mean everything from Doepfer A-XXX to pamelas workouts, quad cannons, driplex warpers, unicorn raper, matrix divided fireballs... and god knows what it´s hard to keep up or get your head around... everything is labeled differently; like gain is offset etc..

So can we please (or if this exist please point me to this) have a list /vocabulary index of module functions with explanation.. at least the basics, it would really help out with the lingo and options.
Thanks!
JohnLRice
Here's a few resources that came up in a Google search:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/resources/glossary.php

http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/glossary.shtml

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html
MoonPoly
Thanks for the links,.. they are however quite generalized to the usual sound-design and at a glance there´s for example there´s no mention something as basic as attenuators but they are helpful..
JohnLRice
Google search: 8_)

An attenuator is an electronic device that reduces the power of a signal without appreciably distorting its waveform.

An attenuator is effectively the opposite of an amplifier, though the two work by different methods. While an amplifier provides gain, an attenuator provides loss, or gain less than 1.
mskala
Even that may be confusing, since in the modular world, attenuators attenuate the voltage but often also function as buffers, boosting current for an overall power gain. That'd be the difference between an active and a passive attenuator - the passive attenuator is really an attenuator, while the active one may provide above-unity current (and thus power) gain. People also often use the term "attenuator" when they are describing a device with an adjustable voltage gain from 0 to more than 1. The real definition seems to be that a modular synth attenuator has a knob on it.
nostalghia
Take a look at this pdf that covers virtually all of the Doepfer A-100 system modules (start on pg. 4):
Doepfer Modules
Since they make at least one version of nearly every type of module, the descriptions and usage examples, I think you will find this to be pretty helpful.

You also might try this as a way of learning more about esoteric modules-go to Modular Grid, select your preferred format (Eurorack I assume?), then select a Function from the drop down list, like "Waveshaper".
Then, click on an example that looks interesting, fits your budget/available space, etc. and read the description.

Also, the Analogue Haven site has manufacturer's description of each of their modules, and often the individual module's webpage includes a link to the manual, usually at the bottom of the page-for example: Zorlon Cannon
All the resources on those two sites alone should keep you busy and learning for quite a while!
JohnLRice
mskala wrote:
Even that may be confusing, since in the modular world, attenuators attenuate the voltage but often also function as buffers, boosting current for an overall power gain. That'd be the difference between an active and a passive attenuator - the passive attenuator is really an attenuator, while the active one may provide above-unity current (and thus power) gain. People also often use the term "attenuator" when they are describing a device with an adjustable voltage gain from 0 to more than 1. The real definition seems to be that a modular synth attenuator has a knob on it.
Well, if it is amplifying then it is also an amplifier! hihi
adnauseam
Quick wake up post for this thread:

I'm looking specifically for the vocabulary/glossary regarding quantizing methods, including quantizing algorithms.

I'm ideally in search of a quantizer that can produce a even, linear quantized scale of notes - like an arp, rather than an uneven scale like most quantizers.

Any help appreciated!
authorless
adnauseam wrote:

I'm looking specifically for the vocabulary/glossary regarding quantizing methods, including quantizing algorithms.

I'm ideally in search of a quantizer that can produce a even, linear quantized scale of notes - like an arp, rather than an uneven scale like most quantizers.

Any help appreciated!

I don't follow you. All quantizers do even note values unless there are some that do microtonal scales, but even then they would be evenly spaced.
mskala
authorless wrote:
I don't follow you. All quantizers do even note values unless there are some that do microtonal scales, but even then they would be evenly spaced.

Not really. Many quantizers quantize to the diatonic (major or minor) scale - which is an unevenly spaced subset of the 12 evenly spaced notes in the standard octave. However, very many quantizers offer a choice. For instance, the Doepfer A-156 has a toggle switch for using all 12 notes or just the major or minor scale, and the Penrose has individual buttons for each of the 12 notes.
moremagic
adnauseam wrote:

Any help appreciated!
linear scale? all the octaves i know are exponential but i cant sight read too good
Agawell
i think he means chromatic

almost all quantizers will do this

chromatic = all notes on keyboard white and black keys

that's more basic music theory though than synthesis
gonkulator
adnauseam wrote:

...!

Could you clarify what you mean by this, especially the term, "even, linear?"
oneunkind
Hmm.. is there a nice wiki for modular synths?
JohnLRice
oneunkind wrote:
Hmm.. is there a nice wiki for modular synths?
Yup!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_synthesizer
Mirolab
moremagic wrote:

linear scale? all the octaves i know are exponential but i cant sight read too good

While the frequency of the notes is exponential, doubling every octave, the control voltage for the diatonic scale is linear, at 1v/octave. Each volt is divided up into 12 equal increments for the 12 semitones. Most quatizers will do this quantization, but also subsets of the 12 tones, like 8-note major & minor scales as a minimum. I agree that adnauseum was likely referring to "linear diatonic" rather than a non-linear 8-note scale that has uneven steps in it.

Let's remember that Modular Synthesis is a combination of 3 very deep disciplines that each have complex terminologies. It combines Electronics, Audio Engineering, and Music. Each of the three fields can take years, if not a lifetime to master. What's amazing is that even with very little knowledge in these fields, one can still jump in, and have great fun with a modular! Or you might just sit there confused & frustrated. It's up to each individual.
moremagic
i aint ever played a quantizer but if i did id want one a them with the little keyboard buttons on front to decide what its quantizing to, seems like thatd work easiest
adnauseam
gonkulator wrote:
adnauseam wrote:

...!

Could you clarify what you mean by this, especially the term, "even, linear?"

I've since started my own thread to discuss this. I think it warrants it's own discussion, but we'll see.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1