MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Actress
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Actress
Daisuk
Any Actress-fans in here? I came across an unreleased 1 hour long live-set from him yesterday (he was apparently handing these out as CDR's at a live show, or so the story goes), and I'm pretty sure he's using a modular synth on a lot of it. Sounds very modular anyway. Some of the slower stuff in it is quite interesting. Uploaded it here in case anyone's interested;

http://soundcloud.com/p-m-44/actress-untitled

Big fan of his first three LP's, can't say I liked the new one (Ghettoville) much, but the first three are right up there among the best records I've ever heard. Fantastic producer. smile
vlk
I don't know anything about him using modulars, but I yes, Splazsh and RIP are big favourites. I also didn't really get into Ghettoville.
tsunamisucks
there are two tracks on Ghettoville which work great (Birdcage & Our)

not really sure he uses modular, sure he samples some things modular but not exactly uses the machines
deadlyfriendly
Here's a video Adult Swim did about him that shows some of his studio:
http://video.adultswim.com/unclassified/actress-interview.html

looks like he uses a lot of digital stuff, Elektron MD/MM and a couple keyboards.

Never really got the hype behind Hazyville but saw him live around the release of that and he was great. Loved Splazsh and RIP, was a little bummed about Ghettoville.

He's also got a track on the new Copeland album.
poppinger
Bump.

I've been relistening to Hazyville and Splaszh recently and I just wanted to get down with the muffwiggler Actress love. So many tunes of his that initially seem super basic just worm their way into my head and just take up permanent residence in there.

Anyone check the Xoul stuff? I think it might be a pleasant surprise for those who were kind of ambivalent about Ghettoville like myself.

As an aside, he cites Terrence Dixon frequently as an influence. Any of you guys ever check any of his stuff? These two in particular hit the same buttons that Actress does for me. (The one video even has someone accusing Terrence Dixon of ripping off the guy he influenced as is standard in the wasteland of youtube commentary.)

Also did anyone track down the mysterious 55minute promo CDR mentioned on Discogs?
opsysbug
Yes!! I love it. I sprung for the big box set...
Hi5
Played a show at Smart Bar last year with him. He's all laptop.
marcelds
all laptop, live at least
budz
Really liked the first 2 albums but I was a bit disappointed by the downtempo vibe of the recent stuff. This is nice though:

stressstest
Another fan here. Regarding his setup, MM presence doesn't surprise me. My bud has a MM and it seems like Actress sounds just pour out of that thing.
Kernelkunt
Daisuk wrote:
Any Actress-fans in here? I came across an unreleased 1 hour long live-set from him yesterday (he was apparently handing these out as CDR's at a live show, or so the story goes), and I'm pretty sure he's using a modular synth on a lot of it. Sounds very modular anyway. Some of the slower stuff in it is quite interesting. Uploaded it here in case anyone's interested;

http://soundcloud.com/p-m-44/actress-untitled

Big fan of his first three LP's, can't say I liked the new one (Ghettoville) much, but the first three are right up there among the best records I've ever heard. Fantastic producer. smile

Im not usually into this kind of stuff, but some sections of it were quite good.
Daisuk
stressstest wrote:
Another fan here. Regarding his setup, MM presence doesn't surprise me. My bud has a MM and it seems like Actress sounds just pour out of that thing.

Oh yes, lots of Monomachine. Love that thing. Kind of regret selling it to finance the bottomless pit that is eurocrack. cry
nikkk
does he use max msp?
Fastus
Got to admit it... I'm really at a loss when I see people admire a loop just going around and around, over and over again - as so well shown by the Xoul video. I actually liked a couple of the patterns he developed on R.I.P, but infuriated/disappointed that nothing ever developed out of them - just like a stuck record. It's a symptom of a lot of music lately.
rapdotcom
Fastus wrote:
Got to admit it... I'm really at a loss when I see people admire a loop just going around and around, over and over again

Just because it isn't your thing doesn't mean you have to knock it. I like things that just sit there, to be honest. Some of the best music just sits there. Certainly not a recent phenomenon, either.
turin horsey
Love the Actress sound (and yep, totally understandable that others dont), Huerco S also puts out great material thats definitely on the same tip (too close?), though I hate to admit it kind of bothered me when I read that he made most of it with fruity loops! Oh well good stuff to my ears...

Daisuk
Fastus wrote:
Got to admit it... I'm really at a loss when I see people admire a loop just going around and around, over and over again - as so well shown by the Xoul video. I actually liked a couple of the patterns he developed on R.I.P, but infuriated/disappointed that nothing ever developed out of them - just like a stuck record. It's a symptom of a lot of music lately.

I remember hearing Splazsh when it first came out, quite liked it, but thought it was too repetitive. Picked it up a year later and started listening more to it, and there was this world that unfolded after getting "used to" listening to it. There's so much more in his music than what can first be heard at face value, in my experience.

I've been trying to get into Ghettoville though, but have failed for the reasons you've stated, so I can see where you're coming from. It just sounds very stale to me, and lacks a lot of the hypnotic stuff and the subtle changes and hooks from the other albums.

turin horsey - good call on Huerco S! Really like his stuff too. His 'Colonial Patterns' from a couple of years back are one of my favorite records from recent times. Why does it matter that he makes it with Fruity Loops, though? :p
glia
cant get enough of splazsh rip and ghettoville [for some reason i havent dug into hazyville yet] but i can see why some people dislike the repetition

i found most of ghettoville [and some of his prior work] to be powerful BECAUSE of the static nature

that style of arrangement is not not new, there are cyclical roots in the music of all cultures reaching back for millenia...from a rhythmic standpoint, it's just another way to prolong tension and distort time

i love exploiting that element of music
leeski
my buddy played me some and wwow, it;s super absorbing stuff applause
turin horsey
Daisuk wrote:
turin horsey - good call on Huerco S! Really like his stuff too. His 'Colonial Patterns' from a couple of years back are one of my favorite records from recent times. Why does it matter that he makes it with Fruity Loops, though? :p

It really doesn't, I started out with Fruity Loops (4free!), i guess my ears were hearing vintage hardware so some kind of authenticity (for lack of a better word) was lost when i heard it was all software. But I hate it when I get that elitist gear mentality, definitely the sound is what counts!
slavetothesync
He is one of the best!

His records are very thematic, so Ghettoville isn't suppose to be your favorite intentionally... it's about disparity and rock bottom- for sure i haven't re-listened, but it was so well done! Maybe I will right now...
Kernelkunt
This thread has exposed me to a lot off cool music Ive never heard before. I like the overly digital sound of some of these actress tracks. I guess the monomachine/machinedrum combo lends itself nicely to that kind of sounds.
Daisuk
Lee Gamble is another producer who's making this type of hypnotic stuff. I think I read somewhere that he's often trying to sort of recreate the music you hear in your head after coming home from an all nighter rave lying in your bed.

Not a massive fan of the LP he released last year, but Dutch Tvashar Plumes and Diversions are incredibly good.

timoka
thanks for the lee gamble links, i really like some parts of it, i also like parts of some actress tracks. but i have a bad feeling about the surrounding art-flair of this kind of music. in the end, it is still quite functional music, i mean, dance music isn't it? nothing against it, really, i only go to clubs if they play stuff like actress, kinda challenging the audience, but again, just because they know about music concrete or "avandgarde" music it doesn't mean that their music is for some reason art. i know, it is quite a difficult and dangerous territory i'm on here but i am always disgusted if i hear someone talk about their oh-so-intellectual-high-culture influences like stockhausen and psychological theories about music and in the end you hear a four to the floor loop based piece of music...
well anyway, i like the experiments and the sounds they create, i don't like the surrounding and mostly the person behind it. aaand that is another question...how much does it matter, if the person behind something is an asshole but you like that something that he or she created...
flabby
I think Actress is using modular. http://hyponik.com/features/london-modular-glimpse-inside-modular-inne rverse/

Don't know to what extent though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2