MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Sync Roland SH-101 to DAW
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Sync Roland SH-101 to DAW
Arson
Hey! I recently bought a Roland SH 101. Its a lovely piece of gear especially for Techno stuff that I am interested in. It has a lovely and fun sequencer, thus, I would like to use its internal sequencer.

I would like to sync its arp/seq with my DAW through its external clock in. My other main piece of gear is a DSI Tempest and a Moog Slim Phatty. As far as I know I will need a CV to Midi Converter which is quite expensive. So I was thinking instead of a converter getting another piece of gear that will be able to do the job and get some extra out of it as well.

Arturia beatstep could be an option but it doesn't provide any clock out. I could use its cv/gate outs but then i will not use the internal arp/seq of 101. Right?

I am not sure about Korg Volca Beat/Bass/Keys. They provide sync out but I don't know if they are reliable for 101 sync to Ableton.

I would like to avoid getting another drum machine (707, rx5, volca beats) as Tempest is more than enough for my beats. I would consider any other synth or sampler,or.. that can sync 101 with Ableton and at the same time offering smth a little extra on my set up. I know that Bass station is another option but I don't like it much.

I hope being clear my issue. Looking forward to your suggestions guys. Cheers!!!
JayEm
does your audio interface have multi outs?
if you can spare one just send a signal on a seperate out from the daw.
at least that works for my monotribe.
dude
if you are trying to save money and do it then i would just experiment with the cheap korg stuff.

but the way i LOVE syncing my sh101 to ableton live is by the koma rh301.

it will do what you want plus so much more. like a little flexible modular all in itself (missing vco/vcf/vca(all of which are all to easy to come by from any number of other sources).

here
Arson
I will try through the multi outs but i think that the signal must be amplified. Moreover, i ve red that this is not very stable for 101.
Arson
Actually I am looking for a cheap option through another piece of gear. Has anyone tried the sync out of Volcas?
dude
it works but not rock solid (like double trigs etc) and really inflexible as compared to other options.

of course such limitations are likely to push your creativity into more fertile ground so maybe that is a good thing. but honestly, having the right flexible tools is worth the money for me almost every time even if it means saving pennies.
Arson
So what's the more reliable and not really costly option? Bass station? Koma is quite expensive for me and not another piece of gear.. help
bubbajaxx
Arson wrote:

Arturia beatstep could be an option but it doesn't provide any clock out. I could use its cv/gate outs but then i will not use the internal arp/seq of 101. Right?

The 101's arp and sequencer will run on a 5 volt gate/trigger to it's trigger input.

You might want to get a Kenton Pro Solo midi -> cv/gate converter. It's not cheap cheap, but it'll be well worth it, especially now that you have the awesomeness of a 101.
hageir
Try sending out a sequenced pulse/sound from a seperate output (from the DAW) into the CLK-IN

It might also work if you have a drum machine with individual outs and MIDI to trigger a sound/MIDI Note on 1/16th (or what ever speed you want) from the DAW then sending that sound to the CLK-IN

Assuming you're doing everything from the DAW,
it will all sync up nicely.

As soon as you sync some MIDI gear to the MIDI clock from the DAW, everything starts to go downhill from there..

So if you're writing the stuff in the DAW,
send ALL the notes (drums and all) to the hardware and let the note-information stay in the computer.

If you wanna work 100% hardware but record with the computer,
you can make the DAW only send a Start+Stop signal to the Master Sequencer (then you'll also have to write the tempo in the DAW manually)
That way you can record stuff which fits into a working grid in the DAW.

*edit I see you have the Tempest,
try sending a sound from that to the CLK-IN
you might want to go with a Pulse sound and then work with it.
When I send a signal from my Machinedrum I have to tweak the signal to get straight 1/16th notes, sometimes it does triplets, sometimes 1/8th and so forth…

If you're sending a sound from the DAW try out some different samples and volume levels wink
stuffinq
I just got my SH-101 back from the repair shop. Works great, despite being slightly more than a full step out of tune.

I've heard good things about the Kenton Pro Solo, but I (like the OP), like the idea of getting a bit more bang for buck. This is partly because if the SH-101 packs up at some point, then the Pro Solo would have no other utility for me.

I am currently waiting for the Arturia BeatStep Pro to come out.

However, I could, for not much more than the cost of the BS Pro, pick up a mini or micro brute (maybe even less on eBay).

My question is: Would either the mini or micro brute be able to drive the SH-101 via clock input and/or CV/gate?

I contacted Arturia a few days ago to ask that question and have not heard back.

Apologies if this seems like an obvious question, but I'm not very up on things CV.
leeski
maybe record the SH101 arpgee into Live then sync everting else with the 101 groove applause
CF3
On the cheap, maybe try this:

SND has some free plugins that are intended for the ACME-4. They generate a clock signal. Just drop one on a track, and send the clock out thru your audio interface into the SH-101.

http://www.s-n-d.com/acme-4/edownloads.html
flo
As mentioned, the cheapest option is: get this sample kindly provided by Makenoise:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/manuals/modular-pulse.WAV

Load it into a sampler in your DAW, send it out a separate out of your interface, and voilà. You might need to crank up the level but it should just work as far as I tried it with that particular trigger sample.

However, it's just so much more fun with a 707, 808 or 909 and their trigger outs hihi
Zenn
stuffinq wrote:
I just got my SH-101 back from the repair shop. Works great, despite being slightly more than a full step out of tune.

Key Transpose on 101 is your friend!
stuffinq wrote:

My question is: Would either the mini or micro brute be able to drive the SH-101 via clock input and/or CV/gate?

Yes. works perfect.

As for the question of syncing by the OP:
You can use an (amplified) pulse sample to trigger the clock.

I usually sync my 101 to other Roland drumboxes such as 505, 707, 606 or 808 using the trig out. Instant fun!
stuffinq
Thanks, Zenn

That's makes a mini or micro brute very tempting indeed!
flo
Re: "out of tune", also make sure you let it warm up for ca. 15 minutes or so before tuning!
IR
flo wrote:
As mentioned, the cheapest option is: get this sample kindly provided by Makenoise:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/manuals/modular-pulse.WAV

Load it into a sampler in your DAW, send it out a separate out of your interface, and voilà. You might need to crank up the level but it should just work as far as I tried it with that particular trigger sample.

However, it's just so much more fun with a 707, 808 or 909 and their trigger outs hihi
It also won't have any latency because it'll be in sync with your computer's latency.
flo
Well, it will have the latency involved with DAC, which will depend on the DAW and interface.... But definitely better than midi clocks via USB thumbs up
djalexg
You can go old-skool if you have a TR or you can go from your daw as others have mentioned but you won't quite get that 80s Roland swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKzHpsQkxo

The other thing to check is the SYNC Gen Pro from Innerclock:

http://www.innerclocksystems.com/new%20ics%20sync-gen%20ii%20pro.html

I use one with Live and its the closest I can get with the Roland stuff to the feel/swing of the original sequencers. It did cost me $500AUD however..
flo
The Innerclock is amazing. I also use that to clock my drummers from Ableton and then a trigger from those to the 101 thumbs up SlayerBadger!
solitaryzen
dude wrote:

but the way i LOVE syncing my sh101 to ableton live is by the koma rh301.

it will do what you want plus so much more. like a little flexible modular all in itself (missing vco/vcf/vca(all of which are all to easy to come by from any number of other sources).

here

Wow, didn't know about that box, looks fantastic. I use the Silent Way trigger plug in to clock my SH-101 (and other gear including my modular system) which works perfectly. Was wondering if clocking the RH301 from Silent Way, would that in turn be able to send midi/din sync out to other gear?
stuffinq
I can now say, having just purchased a MicroBrute, that that solution works very well. The CV/Gate thing works (as long as the gate time is not set to "Long" -- which is adjustable via the Arturia software). I have also been able to use the Gate out of the MB to the clock input of the SH-101 which allows for separate sequences on the two devices, no DAW necessary! And that is fun.

Also works in reverse: SH-101 gate out to MB gate in.
jt780
Well, if you don't end up managing to find a piece of gear that doubles as a midi to cv convertor, i've used a kenton pro solo 2 for years for sequencing my 101 and it works great!
MORI
Hi,

I recently purchased a Arturia Microbrute to control my SH101. The idea is sending MIDI from Ableton into the Minibrute's and connect MiniBrute's CV/Gate outputs to SH-101 CV/Gate inputs so any MIDI notes send to MiniBrute will feed the SH-101.

I´m having some trouble with the configuration and can´t get a proper sound from the SH101.

First of all, how should I configure the Arturia software? I read that for example, gate can not be set to "Long" but what about other parametres?

Then I´m using two 1/8" patch cables to connect both synth:

Microbrute PITCH OUT to Roland sh101 CV IN ??

Microbrute GATE OUT to Roland sh101 GATE IN ??

This is my fist hardware synth with cv so I´m a little bit lost with the configuration..

Really appreciate a lot any comments on this. I´ve been trying to fix this but very frustrating very frustrating
afewster
I use a couple of options - Kenton Pro Solo Mk2 is great sending DAW clock via Aux output configured to send clock (param 20 value CL) and clock divide ratio of quavers (param 41 value 8). Another great way is via my TR-606 - sending tomLT trigger out direct to clock-in of SH-101. (this in turn is also clocked via DAW through Pro Solo.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2