MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Radikal technologies Spectralis thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Radikal technologies Spectralis thread
nyarlathotep

Does anyone else own one of these? The English manual is pretty obscure in places. I thought a hints and tips/how to... thread would be very useful to users of this, as yet unfinished, glorified drum machine...

My first dilemma involves the importing of user samples, I have followed the manual to the point where I can see them in the spectralis browser but they don't appear under the category/sub category applied in the sample conversion software when looking through spectralis drum parts... I have a mk1 version running the 104k software (thus using the spec2 manual) sad banana

I also thought it would be worth discussing the differences between the 1 and 2 models. So far as I can make out the only major difference is the memory capacity hmmm.....
revtor
I have a Spectralis, been using it for two years now. I have a MK1. Differences are the memory, buttons used, and panel graphics.

I have only imported sounds once, so I don't really remember how to... But it was easy and worked for me, no problemo. Something maybe about loading all sounds vs. just loading the sounds in your current songs/patterns. It's an option in the system menu or somewhere.

As of yet unfinished.... Well, its pretty damn capable as is. A few bugs to work out, but it'll get there, Jorg is constantly on the forum answering questions. (Except recently, his web server died or something, plus now at NAMM)

I think a machine like this attracts the type of person that wants endless options, so people on the forum are constantly asking for more and more features. I'm guilty of this I guess too. I just want Tempo/MIDI sync LFO's!! (But of course you can do this with the sequencer) and sequencer targets that deal with the external inputs... and.. and.. aaaaah!

If you haven't installed the ambient soundbank yet, do it and go through the two demo patterns he gives you.. lots of fun, and a way of using the box that you might not yet thought of.

~Steve
nyarlathotep
Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

revtor wrote:
I have a Spectralis, been using it for two years now. I have a MK1. Differences are the memory, buttons used, and panel graphics.

It seems the main difference is the memory. The buttons used on the mk2 look like the buttons used on the waldork Q/XT etc. They weren't to my liking so I suspect cost cuts in production there as the mk 1 buttons/encoders are quite fancy. The panel layout seems to be basically identical which is reassuring, I only hope the OS updates continue for the MK 1 model.

revtor wrote:
Something maybe about loading all sounds vs. just loading the sounds in your current songs/patterns. It's an option in the system menu or somewhere.

Will check it out.

revtor wrote:
If you haven't installed the ambient soundbank yet, do it and go through the two demo patterns he gives you.. lots of fun, and a way of using the box that you might not yet thought of.

Wheres that to be found? Is it a free DL or some $$ money bizniz?
Nelson Baboon
I just picked up a Spectralis 2, having owned the 1 previously.

There is the greater memory, of course, but I also much prefer the cosmetics of the new version. Kind of silly, but it's a synth that sucks you into deep programming, and I just much prefer looking at this one than the old one. It's really a good looking synth, I think.

I have a bad memory for how to do stuff (what keys, knobs, do what) - the Octopus drove me batty with that....and so I'm going through tutorials again just to remember how to do stuff (especially the wondrous hybrid synth).

I don't know. I'm an analog modular guy, and I think I have an appreciation for good sound. I really don't know of any synth that sounds better than this. It's simply an amazing sounding thing, I think (talking now about the hybrid synth) - not purely analog in tone, the va oscillators just work so well with the filters. The build quality is top notch (at least it seems so to me).

I can see also why I sold it previously. It's really too small of a synth for the enormous capabilities that it is, and in addition, it seems like a lot of the capabilities were added to the original design, so you have to go all over the place to really dig into a sound. The manual still sucks big time - if you want to find out how to do THIS, it's hard to find it, unless it's the topic of one of the tutorial sections. It really needs a reference manual.

But, fuck. If I sell it this time, shoot me.
nyarlathotep
droolmaster0 wrote:
I have a bad memory for how to do stuff (what keys, knobs, do what) - the Octopus drove me batty with that....and so I'm going through tutorials again just to remember how to do stuff (especially the wondrous hybrid synth).

Can you post any findings that take a while to figure out?

droolmaster0 wrote:
I don't know. I'm an analog modular guy, and I think I have an appreciation for good sound. I really don't know of any synth that sounds better than this. It's simply an amazing sounding thing, I think (talking now about the hybrid synth) - not purely analog in tone, the va oscillators just work so well with the filters. The build quality is top notch (at least it seems so to me).

Yeah... it sounds great just need to figure out how to fly the beast not this shit again

droolmaster0 wrote:
I can see also why I sold it previously. It's really too small of a synth for the enormous capabilities that it is, and in addition, it seems like a lot of the capabilities were added to the original design, so you have to go all over the place to really dig into a sound. The manual still sucks big time - if you want to find out how to do THIS, it's hard to find it, unless it's the topic of one of the tutorial sections. It really needs a reference manual.

I have already been looking askance at the poor devil wondering whether to part ways before my hair begins to fall not this shit again

I have tried again importing user samples into the spectralis and have found that saving them to any bank makes them usable. Do you therefore need to store sounds to the internal flash rom from the xd-smc? The manual is so underwritten regarding these points that it becomes really frustrating after a while. I would have thought that the sample engine would have the capacity to read samples straight from the xd-smc cards? I am sure I am doing something foolish but try as I might I cannot get it figured not this shit again

On the other hand I have been experimenting with the randomise functions and have found those to be really fun when used in conjunction with so called 'pattern jam'.
emdot_ambient
I thought Spectralis 2 added the fixed filter bank?

At any rate, I wouldn't call this a glorified drum machine. I'd really like to get one (or two) mainly for its synth and sequencing. Drums aren't that important to my music, but this thing can certainly belt out some good old Berlin School sounds. Apart from its steep learning curve, I think it's a perfect companion to modular gear, especially if you're going to perform live.
syzygywell
Quote:
There is the greater memory, of course, but I also much prefer the cosmetics of the new version. Kind of silly, but it's a synth that sucks you into deep programming, and I just much prefer looking at this one than the old one. It's really a good looking synth, I think.

I agree. I like the look of V2 better.. It has a great build.

Complexy systems does the ambient bank as well as the new evolver bank with more to come hopefully. Free too btw.

http://spectralissoundpacks.blogspot.com/

actually the fixed filter bank was/is a feature of V1 as well.
Nelson Baboon
Well, I can't remember some of the stuff that took me a long time to figure out - it feels in some ways like I'm starting anew, but I do have a pretty good sense of the hybrid synth and the sequencer. I'm concentrating on those at first, and then will go over the other stuff a bit this weekend - I never really spent too much time with them.

From memory - user samples obviously have to be translated, and then (from using the original speckie) they can reside either in the flash memory or on one of the cards. You should be able to scroll through and find it from any location. I don't know if the speckie 2 has changed in any respect here?

There's another user here, pix, who used the sample stuff much more than me in the past, and is probably more conversant about it. He just picked up a speckie 2, coincidentally, on the same day that i did.

I think (?) that loading samples from a card should be one of the things that is in the manual, but as I said - I haven't gotten to samples yet - I find the hybrid synth kind of sucks me in... and people on the speckie forum should be able to help you with this also. Lots of knowledgeable users there...

nyarlathotep wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

Can you post any findings that take a while to figure out?

droolmaster0 wrote:

Yeah... it sounds great just need to figure out how to fly the beast not this shit again

droolmaster0 wrote:

I have already been looking askance at the poor devil wondering whether to part ways before my hair begins to fall not this shit again

I have tried again importing user samples into the spectralis and have found that saving them to any bank makes them usable. Do you therefore need to store sounds to the internal flash rom from the xd-smc? The manual is so underwritten regarding these points that it becomes really frustrating after a while. I would have thought that the sample engine would have the capacity to read samples straight from the xd-smc cards? I am sure I am doing something foolish but try as I might I cannot get it figured not this shit again

On the other hand I have been experimenting with the randomise functions and have found those to be really fun when used in conjunction with so called 'pattern jam'.
Nelson Baboon
emdot_ambient wrote:
I thought Spectralis 2 added the fixed filter bank?

No, the fixed filterbank has been in there from the beginning.

Quote:
At any rate, I wouldn't call this a glorified drum machine. I'd really like to get one (or two) mainly for its synth and sequencing. Drums aren't that important to my music, but this thing can certainly belt out some good old Berlin School sounds. Apart from its steep learning curve, I think it's a perfect companion to modular gear, especially if you're going to perform live.

Definitely not a glorified drum machine. To my mind, the most powerful and inspiration part is the hybrid synth/step sequencer, and then the powerful routing and modulation overall, in which you can bring in the digital synthesis and percussion.
Nelson Baboon
The Evolver sound bank seems like a strange idea to me...I mean (to my mind) the speckie is a little bit similar in concept, at least the hybrid synth is - but it is so much better sounding and more powerful overall...

syzygywell wrote:
Quote:

I agree. I like the look of V2 better.. It has a great build.

Complexy systems does the ambient bank as well as the new evolver bank with more to come hopefully. Free too btw.

actually the fixed filter bank was/is a feature of V1 as well.
nyarlathotep
droolmaster0 wrote:
From memory - user samples obviously have to be translated, and then (from using the original speckie) they can reside either in the flash memory or on one of the cards. You should be able to scroll through and find it from any location. I don't know if the speckie 2 has changed in any respect here?

When you say translated, I assume you mean in the SpectImp005 sample conversion program. I have converted 16 bit wav's here given them both category and sub category denominators and exported them to one of the xd cards. Having loaded the samples from the card using 'browse' I assumed it would have been accessible under the filepath:

C:kick S:hip hop 'sound name'

However, they are nowhere to be seen. If I use the save function I can save the samples to various locations on the flash rom but it doesn't seem right as I would have thought the files would be accessible directly from the xd card.
Nelson Baboon
I think that you should be able to access it right from the card. Unfortunately, I don't have a card with mine. I'm not sure why I would need one, with all of that available storage space, at least at this point.

nyarlathotep wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

When you say translated, I assume you mean in the SpectImp005 sample conversion program. I have converted 16 bit wav's here given them both category and sub category denominators and exported them to one of the xd cards. Having loaded the samples from the card using 'browse' I assumed it would have been accessible under the filepath:

C:kick S:hip hop 'sound name'

However, they are nowhere to be seen. If I use the save function I can save the samples to various locations on the flash rom but it doesn't seem right as I would have thought the files would be accessible directly from the xd card.
nyarlathotep
droolmaster0 wrote:
I think that you should be able to access it right from the card. Unfortunately, I don't have a card with mine. I'm not sure why I would need one, with all of that available storage space, at least at this point.

I am beginning to think I am missing something very obvious but I cannot see the wood for the trees! I am using a mk 1 version so far less storage capacity. Also I just want to make sure the various functions are available. I am waiting for Jörg Schaaf to let me in at the spectralis forum, hopefully there I'll figure out what I am missing d'oh! . Thanks for the suggestions thumbs up
bar|none
syzygywell wrote:

Download, print out the instructions and install the ambient soundbank from complex systems. Besides being a fantasic soundbank, the docs are excellent and will teach you a lot about loading sample sets on your specki.

With v1 you do have to be more organized because your space is more limited.

Heres a trick I use....I first layout the files on my harddrive. If you use a mac you can color code the files in the finder by type.

Because the .SSBs you can only have a maximum of 8 per Specki section. For example 8 SSBs for Hybrid Synth, 8 for Drums and 8 for DSynth so these different .SSBs are colored differently so they can be counted easily.

If you want to maximize your samples, the .SSBs go in the main flash memory and the referenced .SLIs and .SLCs go on the Cards.

Once everything is organized, you can drag everything back to the specki making sure that you have a backup FIRST!

nyarlathotep
It would seem I have been being some kind of muppet!

http://www.spectralis.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=982

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
bar|none
that's another reason to checkout Ambient Soundbank, lots of samples categorized very nicely that can be used to create new sounds....then lots of nice final sounds as well.
nyarlathotep
bar|none wrote:
that's another reason to checkout Ambient Soundbank, lots of samples categorized very nicely that can be used to create new sounds....then lots of nice final sounds as well.

I have tried to DL the ambient soundbank but just get a blank page?
bar|none
ooh bummer...

ping complexsystems on the forum. He's the creator of all these wonderful banks. Looks maybe like joerg was hosting it and those servers are down.

http://www.spectralis.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1645&highlight=
Nelson Baboon
nyarlathotep wrote:
It would seem I have been being some kind of muppet!

http://www.spectralis.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=982

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

there you go. and Joerg should let you into the forum when he gets back from NAMM.

that's the thing about the Spectralis - there are lots of 'little things' like this, which aren't always the easiest things to find in the manual. But you should get an answer pretty quickly on the forum, because - trust me - if you are experiencing confusion at a issue like this, someone else has been there before.
wayne greenhaw
is there a number in the us to call for tec support
syzygywell
This is from their website
http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/contact

ut from what it seems on the forum it is best to email him at
support@radikaltechnologies.com
revtor
make sure to have your controller keyboard hooked up when you play with the Spectralis.

And turn up the volume.

Also, once you figure your way around the machine, there is a way to set up a "Default" pattern and save this to the machine, and then from then on, whenever you start from a blank pattern these settings will be there. Makes using it much easier when you know how everything is set up from the beginning. . .

~Stv.
syzygywell
BTW the new soundbank has been released: http://spectralissoundpacks.blogspot.com/

Here is the new Silverdroid2010 Soundbank for Spectralis. More than 100MB of new samplers from great synths (Dave Smith Instruments, Elektron, Roland, Access, Waldorf, Korg, etc, etc...)

The content of this new packet includes also preconfigured FX´s, as Metal Flangers, Sync Delays, Extreme Phasers and a total of 8 new FX. Also a new template pattern called Sdroid2010, prepared with 100 new designed sounds in a .SSB file...glide leads, atmospheres, hyperpads, subbass and a big collection of Drums with glitches, blips, and other FX for your electronic and dance productions.

Better samplers quality than in the Ambient Soundbank with two notes per octave with 4 octaves per sampler.Use the new Randomize method with this samplers for a great range of sounds.
SepticUnderground
funny to see the drumkits list again..razz I made all the vintage analogue drumbox kits for the spectralis grin

I used to have a 0.92 beta machine but gave up 3 years later at 0.97
SMS303
SepticUnderground wrote:
funny to see the drumkits list again..razz I made all the vintage analogue drumbox kits for the spectralis grin

I used to have a 0.92 beta machine but gave up 3 years later at 0.97

My Speckie is standing with a load of dust on it....
I can't get through the manual and after page 36 i've had given up

A friend of me BRZ from TDK-records use his Speckie for live gigs. Most sounds are made by modular at the studio and saved as sample or rebuild in the Speckie for his live gigs. That's my plan too (if i ever get through the manual Dead Banana )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5