MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Blacet PS800 standalone power supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Blacet PS800 standalone power supply

monstrinho

I'm posting the recent email from the Blacet mailing list for those of you who don't subscribe or may have missed it:

Quote:
Hi All:

There has been some interest in a replacement for the now obsolete PS505 self contained power supply. We can certainly manufacture an enclosure for the PS800; but with design costs and minimum orders at the metal shop, we need to know what the interest really is.

These would be compatible with the PSCONN3 distribution boards which have 18 spaces but could be used with the older PSCONN2 also.

Price point is estimated at $129-$149.

Drop us an email ([email protected]) with PS800 in the subject line.

Thanks

So, if there's anyone interested in seeing this happen, get in touch with Blacet and let them know.

Samuron

I told them I'd certainly buy one, at least at the low-end estimate.

monstrinho

I wrote and told them that I'd be interested in a version with a metal case (like the PS500) and one without (a "raw" version, if you will). I really hope this happens. There's always J3RK's upcoming DIY PSU board, but it'd be great to have an option on the market that's just ready to plug and play.

anal og

hi guys
did you finally get this power supply? have you find any interesting recent products you would advice me, please? looking for a power supply a 6U case wink
thanks

monstrinho

I have no idea if Blacet has decided to go ahead with this or not. It has not shown up for sale, so my guess is not, but you should email him and ask.

dJ dAb

I just sent an email, expressing my interest

fracmonkey

Just in from Blacet...

"News from Blacet Research:

This is the fully contained PS800 with IEC power connector (cord supplied in US and Canada) and power switch. Compatible worldwide with no adjustments.

+/-15V @800/800 mA.

Six mounting holes compatible with old Frac Rak so it can be used as a replacement for the PS505.

One four pin power out connector. Use module power cord to connect to a distribution board such as PSCONN3 or PSCONN2 (optionally use PSCONN Cable for the PSCONN2--still available on request).

Now available to order.

The regular price is $139 but you can preorder for $119. Limit of 2 at this price.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=Q B88ZX27FNR2Q

tron23

Great news! w00t

dJ dAb

Ordered 2

BananaPlug

Ordered two here as well.

As much as I've been a decades long fan of the good old PowerOne supplies they don't coexist easily with spring reverbs due to power line frequency hum from the transformer. This "modern low noise switching supply" can handle the same load as a 15V PowerOne HAA type and ought to be hum-free, smaller, lighter, cooler...

nanners

fracmonkey

BananaPlug

Nice. I didn't know they were out yet. Can we have a look inside?

monstrinho

The anodized black is SEXXXXXXXY!!!

fracmonkey

The photo is off the Blacet "News" page.

I would bet the inside is the "bare" supply used on the RAK-2.

Enclosure to avoid nasty customer experiences and keep the lawyers happy...

(Not to mention that super hot graining...wink

dJ dAb

Weighs next to nothing and tiny too (roughly 5.25" x 4" x 2")...

BananaPlug

Great. I can mount a connector next to the power switch and replace the plastic grommet with knockout plug. Very convenient. thumbs up

edit: The ones I ordered arrived a few hours after I posted this. applause

Hermetech Mastering

How come it's so much smaller than the old PS500, yet puts out more power?

monstrinho

Hermetech Mastering wrote:

Progress!! lol

Hermetech Mastering

Indeed, may have to pick up a Rak 2 rack mount frame, the trade section here seems sadly lacking in Frac stuff at the mo!

Hermetech Mastering

Is quality better/worse than before wrt cleanliness of power etc? Loved the look of those giant blue covered toroidal mains trannies on the PS505s!

fracmonkey

Hermetech Mastering wrote:

Switching technology. It is now in everything and is very efficient. In the early days it was a bit noisy but now is fine.

Hard to find linear supplies anymore. They are expensive, heavy, produce waste heat and not good for the whole global warming thing.

Hermetech Mastering

Thanks, I am grateful for the technical knowledge on here! Are they the same type of thing as these Class D Hypex amps etc., that everybody's going on about recently?

Was the old PS500 and PS505 linear, and the new PS800/Rak2 switching?

Hermetech Mastering

double post

Muff Wiggler

Yep, previous Blacet supplies were linear.

Maybe I'm a Luddite but it really disappoints me to see switching power from Blacet, from everyone in Euro, etc. I don't like them. I don't feel they have any place in audio signal chains.

Hermetech Mastering

Can you explain more why Mike? I'll try and hunt down older PS500/505s if there's a good audible or stability based reason to do so.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2