MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Berlin School links
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Berlin School links
odecahedron
this may be roll-eyes thread material for some of u longer ponytailed dudes but in all genuine honesty... im super interested to learn of more lesser known artists who were involved in the making of this sound (old and new). outside the standard candles (Tangerine, Klaus, Node et al) - any repetitive oddtime sequential looping journey stuff... specifically synth... any body know some goo dshit please post here... keen for some new stuff. also if there are any kind of written biographical or articles on "berlin-school" interesting related research, unofficial, otherwise...

cheers in advance
Otis
JohnLRice
I listened to Tim Blake's Crystal Machine album a lot back in the early 80's while building and modifying my PAiA 4700 modular, Stringz N Thinhs keyboard and DIY stuff! I really enjoy this album and I love the look of the stage set . . .I though MY GOD THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO! Still working on that but I feel like I'm getting closer . . .

EDIT: actually, I have no idea if this is considered actual Berlin School or not, it just sounds similar to Tangerine Dream a bit so I assumed . . .
NYMo
Odecahedron ..try Redshift !

Cheers
JohnLRice
This is another excellent one but maybe you already know of this:

Here's a couple from Michael Hoenig's late 80's work that I like alot, sort of a more "modern" sounding sequencerish sound thumbs up :

odecahedron
dudes! thanks a bumch!
kindredlost
Yes, Hoenig's "Departure..." is the best IMO.

For some more off-the-beaten-path music of the early Berlin School style, try Popol Vu or Heldon. RIchard Pinhaus made a few pieces later after Heldon. Ashra with Manuel Göttsching is worth the visit.
fyvewytches
The early Robert Schroeder stuff is very good.

As for Michael Hoenig, IMHO, the album he made with Manuel Göttsching is better than "Departure…"
odecahedron
been having a dig at some of those suggestions, theres even a "berlin school" wikipedia page haha.

finding some great stuff - im a new fan to gottsching E2-E4 is great - will seek out the Hoenig collab

funnily i find myself coming back to ths often - love it but dunno who made it...

may have posted this before but also a fav - Steve Moore

keep em coming ... mooooarrr BERLIN!
doombient.music
['ramp]
VinceL
Go to musiczeit.com or bandcamp.com and do a search for "Berlin School." You will get a shitload of hits. Some very good stuff and some not so good.

Musiczeit gives short samples of the tracks, and bandcamp lets you listen to all or most tracks in their entirety.
Thalassa
Peter Baumann solo albums :

Trans Harmonic Nights

Romance 76

Edgar Froese solo albums :

Stuntman

Aqua

Pinnacles
Dave_P
Various artists/albums with "Berlin School" sensibilities (but not all just endless sequencers!):
    Airsculpture
    Didier Bocquet - esp. "Sequences"
    Ian Boddy - earlier stuff like "The Climb" **
    Broekhuis, Keller & Schönwälder - many and various
    Fanger & Schönwälder - many and various **
    Head Space Technology - just the one "Floating Point"
    Michael Hoenig & Manuel Göttsching - that's "Early Water"
    Mark Jenkins - specifically "Sequencer Loops" and "Sequencer Loops 2"
    Keller & Schönwälder - many and various but not all **
    Bernd Kistenmacher - many and various but mostly all (!) **
    Kubusschnitt - take your pick **
    Ken Martin - "Berlin Impressions" vols 1, 2 & 3 **
    Neuronium - some of it ("Digital Dream" is the best) but not all!
    The Omega Syndicate
    Richard Pinhas - specifically "Iceland" and "L'Ethique"
    Steve Roach - some of the earlier solo stuff
    Telomere
    TONTO
    Wavestar **

** Many of these are, as hinted above, available via Music Zeit

Some may disagree with my selection but it's a starter ...
Psychlist1972
For the more unknown

Mac of BIONight does some Berlin-style stuff.

http://macofbionight.bandcamp.com/album/fire-on-mars-classic-em-23

Alexander Robotnik isn't really Berlin School, but it tends to appeal to the same senses.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTfi27MS74xy55XKD4WVj0g

Generally, search for Berlin School or Kosmische (my spelling is likely wrong, there) on bandcamp, soundcloud, etc.

Pete
odecahedron
hey this is sick tooo...

i actually have that Baumann Romance 76 record, tried to play it once but it was scratched as shit and tough going confused
Psychlist1972
I always liked Seb's performance.

Also, I assume you've seen this:

Pete
odecahedron
ahhh the Koln 77 performance, Klaus was my entry point into berlin, before TG even, been going thru his Historic Edition series for a while now on spotify. Hes the king of this stuff for me, but only cos im fresh to most of the rest, hence the thread, thanks for all the goodies guys thumbs up
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
RIchard Pinhaus made a few pieces

"ooohh Houston 69, your wings are on fire, your tail is aflame, we are not to blame." SlayerBadger!
HowDoIKnow
Ahh, Berlin School Sequences - the reason I get out of bed in the morning.

Many great examples already given, please also try:

Free System Projekt - especially the British Aisles concert - astounding
here

Arc - Arc Angel on 'Radio Sputnik' - possibly the greatest ever BS track IMHO
here

radio massacre international - raw cane approach from 'Republic' also possibly the best BS track ever!

Redshift... just go to Bandcamp and enjoy!

AirSculpture;
Pollard Daniel Booth
EFSS - very cool sequences and effects - haunting stuff - they're on soundcloud
El-KA
Orbital Decay
Fanger & Schonwalder
Gert Emmens and Ruud Heij - especially their first album
Ian Boddy

oh, the list is almost endless.....

hdik
Thalassa
odecahedron wrote:
ahhh the Koln 77 performance, Klaus was my entry point into berlin, before TG even, been going thru his Historic Edition series for a while now on spotify.

If you are a Spotify user I have a public play-list in Spotify with almost 80 hours and more than 250 tracks of Berlin School music.

http://open.spotify.com/user/pablopenas/playlist/39iaU9UHknWZRBTaRq2nU F
HowDoIKnow
Dave_P wrote:
Various artists/albums with "Berlin School" sensibilities (but not all just endless sequencers!):
    Airsculpture
    Didier Bocquet - esp. "Sequences"
    Ian Boddy - earlier stuff like "The Climb" **
    Broekhuis, Keller & Schönwälder - many and various
    Fanger & Schönwälder - many and various **
    Head Space Technology - just the one "Floating Point"
    Michael Hoenig & Manuel Göttsching - that's "Early Water"
    Mark Jenkins - specifically "Sequencer Loops" and "Sequencer Loops 2"
    Keller & Schönwälder - many and various but not all **
    Bernd Kistenmacher - many and various but mostly all (!) **
    Kubusschnitt - take your pick **
    Ken Martin - "Berlin Impressions" vols 1, 2 & 3 **
    Neuronium - some of it ("Digital Dream" is the best) but not all!
    The Omega Syndicate
    Richard Pinhas - specifically "Iceland" and "L'Ethique"
    Steve Roach - some of the earlier solo stuff
    Telomere
    TONTO
    Wavestar **

** Many of these are, as hinted above, available via Music Zeit

Some may disagree with my selection but it's a starter ...

Not at all - that's a great list, a man after my own myocardium.

Can't believe that 1) anyone else has 'Floating Point' - great little album, entirely a sequencer line! 2) I missed Kubusschnitt - The Cube 8_)

daniel
Dave_P
JohnLRice wrote:
"ooohh Houston 69, your wings are on fire, your tail is aflame, we are not to blame"

Now it's time to wash your head out - go listen to "Zind Destruction" (Heldon III) - not a sequence in sight but freaky as h*ll Bop!

HowDoIKnow wrote:
Not at all - that's a great list, a man after my own myocardium.

Can't believe that 1) anyone else has 'Floating Point' - great little album, entirely a sequencer line! 2) I missed Kubusschnitt - The Cube 8_)

Floating Point = as you say, entirely a sequencer line ... apart from Drift lol (was listening to it this afternoon)
The Cube = great album ... but unfortunately not available from MusicZeit d'oh!

And I can't believe I forgot to mention FSP - especially the various "Ricochet Gathering" albums with/without Dave Brewer (I don't have the "British Aisles" concert but have found it on MZ so will have to acquire it).

And finally ... "The wong side of fifty" ... join the club!
kindredlost
Dave_P wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
"ooohh Houston 69, your wings are on fire, your tail is aflame, we are not to blame"

Now it's time to wash your head out - go listen to "Zind Destruction" (Heldon III) - not a sequence in sight but freaky as h*ll Bop!

Ha. "East West" wasn't exactly the greatest album but Houston 69 was a fun track. I'll have to look up "Zind Destruction" thanks for that Dave P Guinness ftw!
steffengrondahl
I have a very soft spot for Schulzes and Tangerine Dreams music from the seventies. However only few of their followers have really impressed me: Hoenig (who is not really a follower, but simultaneous with Schulze and TD, and even playing with them), Ashra/Manuel Göttsching (again not a follower as he also did sequencer music at the same time) and Redshift/early Mark Shreeve.

However I find some of the newer sequencer music of Steve Roach absolute stunning. Particular 3 works:

Destination Beyound: Sequencers a la Bayreuth Return, drum patter like Appegiator and pads and atmospheres like ... Steve Roach hihi

Arc of Passion: The long title tracks sound like a modern version of Schulzes Totem - really great

Proof Positive: Very fast sequencers and abstract sounds and ambient soundscapes, particular on the first track (Westwind).

None of them are typical Berlin School, for instance there is almost no soloing. But it works It's peanut butter jelly time!
sduck
Manuel Göttsching has a 6 cd set out called the Private Tapes that have quite a few really nice sequency Berliny style stuff. (and quite a bit of dreadful stuff, be forewarned)

Eat Lights Become Lights has some fantastic recordings available; and are an odd bird as their live performances sound nothing like their recordings.

Jupiter Lion - "Silver Mouth" is a great sounding Berliny sort of recording. (hope I'm remembering the right one correctly here)

Has anyone mentioned Node yet?
odecahedron
Thalassa wrote:

If you are a Spotify user I have a public play-list in Spotify with almost 80 hours and more than 250 tracks of Berlin School music.

http://open.spotify.com/user/pablopenas/playlist/39iaU9UHknWZRBTaRq2nU F

as they say in Aus... CRIKEY, i have my work cut out for me now

i scored the node album thru muffs when DIn promoed it here - very cool... finding more of Boddys stuff appealing too. i love being relatively young and late to the party - so many island universes to explore
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7