MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL EURO MANUFACTURERS!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL EURO MANUFACTURERS!
MDSKNNRP
Please make a mid-side encoder module!

The potential is awesome!! we're not worthy
L.C.O.
I believe Azimuth does that?... or some version of M/S anyway.

http://www.intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/azimuth-ii/
paults
Encoder of WHAT, exactly?
c1t1zen
What the hell is a mid-side encoder module!?
tonepanic
Seems like a single encode or decode stage is pretty easily done with 2 2ch mixers + 1 inverter.

Assuming you're starting with a stereo source:

M = R + L (mixer)
S = R - L (mixer + inverter)

and to go the other direction:

R = (M + S) / 2 (mixer)
L = (M - S) / 2 (mixer + inverter)

There are probably other examples, but you could use a single Doepfer A-138m for both encode and decode stages.
stillvisions
c1t1zen wrote:
What the hell is a mid-side encoder module!?

All I can guess is one that converts a stereo signal to mid-side, sometimes useful for vocal removals in a track? Technically you can do it with inverters and mixers if my thinking is right.
Crandall1
We could do it easily enough, but I simply can't see how very many people would be interested in it. Since MS requires a stereo signal, and Euro is inherently a multi-mono environment, I fail to see its usefulness, except to process the M channel of existing program material. And... uh... yay?

Anyhow, if you can make an argument for its usefulness, and get more than like 5 people on board, we could certainly consider it.
ignatius
it's more of a mic'ing mixing tool anyways.. i'm hardly academic with my modular so i could be missing something obvious to a smarter wiggler but i agree w/CR.

if there was a lot more stereo patching going on then perhaps it'd be more useful/desirable
tonepanic
Hmm, you could encode a reverb, process the side differently than the mid, decode back to stereo, and possibly get some interesting results. At the moment I can't think of things other than reverb (or real mics) that would be interesting, but maybe that's my limited imagination...
meatbeatz
Hinton ModMix?

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/modmix/index.htm
Crandall1
Yeah, that's the thing. While Euro is the realm of esoteric effects, that one is simply too specific a purpose; it's much better done on the computer.

(If I can exhibit a bit of candor, I call effects like M/S processing a "crutch for the uninspired." At the end of the day, your song either has an awesome hook and people want to hear it, or it doesn't, and they don't, and no amount of studio trickery will change this fact. But that's my own personal bias; I am also interested in building interesting products that people find useful, and I'll allow that, despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm not always right.)
L.C.O.
Crandall1 wrote:
Yeah, that's the thing. While Euro is the realm of esoteric effects, that one is simply too specific a purpose; it's much better done on the computer.

(If I can exhibit a bit of candor, I call effects like M/S processing a "crutch for the uninspired." At the end of the day, your song either has an awesome hook and people want to hear it, or it doesn't, and they don't, and no amount of studio trickery will change this fact. But that's my own personal bias; I am also interested in building interesting products that people find useful, and I'll allow that, despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm not always right.)

That is if the objective is to make songs...
There is so much more to working with audio as art medium than hooks...
That is my personal bias :-)

... and I would love a dedicated M/S module.
vav
I have no use this.
makers
MId Side processing has been a mastering technique for a while. A bit like the inverse of a Mid Side Microphone decoder, this takes a L + R stereo signal and encodes it to Mid + Side. This allows you to do things like Add reverb to the Sides only or to Compress/EQ the Mids to help articulate and focus the bass into the center of the mix.

I'm interested conceptually, but personally don't mix much in Euro nor would I use it live.

FWIW, I think there must be 500 Series modules that do this already.

Also FWIW, I like a good hook too!
ignatius
i've had use of M/S in various plug in EQs.. notably fabfilter stuff. especially their EQ. it has done some magic things when trying to get parts (usually one track) of a mix to sit right.

other than that it isn't something i've used.

when i worked in a studio there were a couple engineers who loved it for tracking.. usually configuring overheads and room mics and some times horns if memory serves.. i think there was an instance of using it on a vocal part when wanting to do something weird... but most engineers just spent time putting the mics in the right places and getting a good performance out of the band. still.. it was fun to mic up a m/s configuration with the m/s mic stand rig that usually a custom job and do the patch bay routing pahse jibba jabba then play w/the faders on the mixer and listen to what would happen to the signal.

i'm guessing someone will make a m/s module sooner or later.. just because.
meatbeatz
It already exists, you can use the Hinton ModMix for M/S encoding/decoding and much more.
ignatius
meatbeatz wrote:
It already exists, you can use the Hinton ModMix for M/S encoding/decoding and much more.

so there ya go! thumbs up
READYdot
And that needed a CapsLock title...?
c1t1zen
Thanks for the insight guys, learning something new.
listentoaheartbeat
It would be interesting with reverb maybe, but then again (as others have said) it can easily be patched with modules most people have in their systems.

Other than reverb, I can think of any signal source in a modular which would give you a complex (partly decorrelated) stereo program, so I'd rather take a real stereo recording, split M and S out in the computer and send them to the modular for processing.
Mungo
Plenty of threads about on it.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1552898
usw
The real challenge would be to emulate the figure-8 microphone (I don't know if that's objectively possible, a figure-8 mic does pick up and mix signals that are only partially correlated, right ?).
You might get interesting effects by using left, right and center busses that mix and process all your sound sources differently (using slighty phased out, filtered, subtly delayed or frequency shifted replicas, etc) ?
mr.freeman
why no one makes a Euro Alarm Clock? so when it rings it provides a clock to your system and a trigger to start the most epic modular alarm clock sound seqence

Mr. Green
flo
After mixdown, I always cut anything on the sides below ca. 200-300hz. hihi Vinyl doesn't like heavy stereo bass. Easily enough done with the Ableton EQ.

Never used it for anything else and as said a couple of times in this thread, it is easily patched up with inverting mixers.
continuum
M/S would be a good first program for the ZDSP. After that works, add interesting processing after it and convert back to stereo. Could make for an interesting card of stereo algos too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2