MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New podcast launches with first guest Muff Wiggler Mike
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author New podcast launches with first guest Muff Wiggler Mike
botstein
Hey all,

I am launching a new podcast that I am calling The Distillery, in which I interview people from the world of music technology, with a focus on modular synths. I plan on posting new episodes on Tuesdays. This first episode is an interview with our founder, Mike "Muff Wiggler" McGrath. Mike had a lot to say, so I've divided the interview between today's episode, number zero, and next week's, number one. I have some other great episodes already recorded with some great artists, and am interviewing a slew fantastic guests in the coming weeks.

http://sambotstein.com/distillery/
http://sambotstein.com/distillery?format=rss
itunes: bit.ly/1pjsCgT
stitcher: bit.ly/1maPGDW

This week we cover the origins of the community and the name, some of Mike's views on the worldwide modular synth community, thoughts on some of the possibilities the future might hold, among a lot of other things. The audio quality is pretty good, but if you're wondering why it sounds like Mike is talking to me over the phone from Canada while driving on the highway in the pouring rain, it's because Mike is talking to me over the phone from Canada while driving on the highway in the pouring rain.

You can find a blog post for each episode with summaries, and more importantly, links, at distillerypodcast.com. Mike, for example, mentions a whole load of synth companies and people and things that a lot of veteran members will recognize immediately, but might have others be scratching their heads, so I list them and link to their websites or pertinent information.

Often, in the grand tradition of podcasts like Diggnation, Harmontown, and so many others, we'll have cocktails while recording The Distillery, but not for this first episode, as Mike was road-tripping across Canada and the United States.

If you have any thoughts or questions, or would like to talk to me on the podcast, you can of course reach us here. I'm also on Twitter @botstein.

Thanks,

Sam
mckenic
Bloody brilliant Sam!

Do I REALLY have to wait till next week to hear part two waah

thumbs up
T-E79
Great podcast, just listened. Cant wait for the next one. This was really ideal for a noob like me.

we're not worthy
melodydad
Really interesting - and looks like a promising idea going forward . . . . can anyone explain to me how I can get this as an RSS feed?? I have downloaded RSS apps on my ipad but can't figure out how to access stuff!

I suppose I need MATHS hihi
botstein
mckenic wrote:
Bloody brilliant Sam!

Do I REALLY have to wait till next week to hear part two waah

thumbs up

Thanks!

Yes, I decided that it would be better to keep it to hour-length. Like a lot of us, I could talk about this stuff for hours, but I'm trying to avoid delusions of grandeur in terms of what kind of time people will devote to this each week. I'm a wierdo, and am happy to listen to podcasts of Pete Holmesian lengths (sometimes three or four hour interviews) if I'm stuck in traffic on the 405 or soldering all day or something. Whenever I'm in Hollywood, I actually go to 2-hour live tapings of comedy podcasts on a weekly and monthly basis, sometimes meaning Saturday and Sunday night (we all go to a dive bar afterward - it's great). From what I've read, though, most people will only go for an hour once a week.

T-E79 wrote:
Great podcast, just listened. Cant wait for the next one. This was really ideal for a noob like me.

we're not worthy

Thanks. That was the idea! I wanted to have a podcast about the synth community, so I figured Mike was the place to start. I actually think he gave some great stuff, and like the stickies on the forum, through this first episode we now have something to point people toward when they start wondering what is going on and what we're talking about.

Make sure to check out the post(s) on http://sambotstein.com/distillery/ for links to all the things Mike and I mentioned. This ought to be super informative for a n00b!
botstein
melodydad wrote:
Really interesting - and looks like a promising idea going forward . . . . can anyone explain to me how I can get this as an RSS feed?? I have downloaded RSS apps on my ipad but can't figure out how to access stuff!

I suppose I need MATHS hihi

iTunes actually reviews podcasts individually before adding them to the directory or making them searchable (seriously). It should be searchable sooner rather than later, but you can get it in iTunes already by going to File -> Subscribe to Podcast and entering: http://sambotstein.com/distillery?format=rss

(It should then be simple to sync this to your iPad via iTunes).

This link http://sambotstein.com/distillery?format=rss should work for any generic podcast app you might have (given that the app, you know, works).

When it is finally searchable in iTunes I will be so, so pleased.
mckenic
Will you keep this post updated please?

I know I'll forget... like I do with Darwin's & WaveformCity podcasts. But thats also good as I have lots to catch up on then hihi
botstein
mckenic wrote:
Will you keep this post updated please?

I know I'll forget... like I do with Darwin's & WaveformCity podcasts. But thats also good as I have lots to catch up on then hihi

If you subscribe on iTunes, you won't miss it! Every Tuesday is the plan!

I'll post here again next week, but I might make new threads for certain guests. (I'm so excited - there are some great people set to drop knowledge on my little podcast.)
mckenic
thumbs up
daluxer
Cheers Mike! Good heads up on Joel (deadmau5) he got me - amongst others - into modular. And yup, I still like NIN and Aphex Twin etc thumbs up
scottmoon
There was some great topics covered. Keep 'me coming. applause
botstein
iTunes is up!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-distillery-sam-botstein/id8903 53945
ben_hex
Will we be able to subscribe in iTunes at any point?
botstein
ben_hex wrote:
Will we be able to subscribe in iTunes at any point?

Yes! Please do! You can subscribe at this link

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-distillery-sam-botstein/id8903 53945?mt=2
Bob Borries
I vote we change the name "Muff Wiggler" to ...

botstein
Bob Borries wrote:

Where is that from? Did you just photoshop that just now?
Bob Borries
botstein wrote:
Bob Borries wrote:

Where is that from? Did you just photoshop that just now?
Yes a graphic artist by day muff wiggler by night. I'm a white angry old man myself, but I've seen a lot of diversity where I live and think maybe it's not as racially uniform as you think. I just thought I'de poke fun at the suggestion.
botstein
I totally love it. May I use it in my post next Tuesday, or better yet, as a reaction face when people are being angry old men?
botstein
Actually, maybe it would be a better idea to make place psuedo-ironically called the "Angry Old White Man Synthesizer Club." It would make everyone ponder Poe's law.
amnesia
Excellent stuff Sam. Its just a shame, in the first podcast, that Mike is so loud and you are much quieter in the background.

Otherwise bring it on! SlayerBadger!
botstein
amnesia wrote:
Excellent stuff Sam. Its just a shame, in the first podcast, that Mike is so loud and you are much quieter in the background.

Otherwise bring it on! SlayerBadger!

Thanks! We're on separate tracks, so I'll turn myself up in the next one.
NYMo
Great listen. Thanks for sharing !

Cheers
Bob Borries
Sure, can use "angry white man" graphic, we're all friends here.
akrylik
That was a wonderful interview! SlayerBadger!

I especially liked Mike's musings on mainstream culture vs underground culture. I think it's really interesting how we want this scene to grow but, at the same time, we know that if it does grow past some point it will lose the phenomenal level of personal involvement and investment that is making it special now. Whatever the natural cycle of these things turns out to be, I hope its long and drawn out!
botstein
Thanks all.

There will be more on Tuesday!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5