MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Before I do something stupid... cables.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Before I do something stupid... cables.
Monobass
Tell me i'm doing this right.

I just bought volta and will use it with my motu 828mkii and moog voyager.

I've taken a balanced cable and disconnected the ring in one of the jacks, the "disconnected ring" jack goes into the moog and the "connected ring" jack goes into motu right?
alt-mode
It doesn't matter. As long as one of the rings is disconnected, you will achieve the correct result.
Montag
What's this about disconnected rings?

I'm not using volta or silent way, but just curious what this is for?
alt-mode
See this discussion:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4104&start=0

MOTU audio interfaces have balanced TRS outputs but you want a TS unbalanced DC voltage. TS-TS cables will work but there is some concern about forcing the sleeve to ground on the interface over time.
meridic
Quote:
TS-TS cables will work but there is some concern about forcing the sleeve to ground on the interface over time.

Concern from where? I am trying to think of a differential line output driver that would get killed by a standard TS cable being inserted in place of a TRS. I can't. Chances are their output stage is just a pair of opamps, perhaps four opamps, both topologies just become single ended with a mono cable plugged in. In fact most topologies will just become single ended in these circumstances. Some topologies will become debalanced and drop performance, but I doubt this is the case for the MOTU, even if it was you do not need anything near studio specs for this use and it doubtfully will harm the interface.

Any piece of equipment that can not live through most anything with the same connectors being plugged into it is poorly designed. If this really was an issue MOTU would have just put only XLR outs on it and raised the price calling it "pro studio" since it only delt with XLR.
doctorvague
meridic wrote:
Quote:
TS-TS cables will work but there is some concern about forcing the sleeve to ground on the interface over time.

Concern from where? >>>

MOTU. They designed the interfaces and they're the ones saying that.
It's obviously not money motivated because they're not trying to sell special cables.
Maybe it's only a very slight chance of damage over a long period but they'd still like to cover their ass from a bunch of customers whose interfaces started going south after a year or 2 of using Volta.
Monobass
Yeah and it's hardly much extra bother/cost, I don't see the point in not following the manufacturers advice...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1