MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dave Smith Instruments Pro-Two
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Dave Smith Instruments Pro-Two
Samwise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNp85kiMXK0

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pro2/index.php

Well this sure came out of left field.
talfred
4 cv in, 4 cv out plus gate, thats great! Wonder what it will cost?
Jdavidk
Looks pretty great. Thinking under $2k?
Vootman
Wow...me neither...didn't expect that. I must say, I'm interested Never maintain cash savings again
thevegasnerve
I was hoping for something simpler and cheaper. But I cant argue with the design. Just another synth for someone with bigger pockets..
ignatius
anyone notice this in the video?????

pelican
Feel sorry for those that ordered the new moog
Chiefy11
*shrieks like little girl*
pownie
$1999 for a monosynth! That's ridiculous. Even though some of the specs are neat. CV, awesome step sequencer etc.
Quote:
The Pro 2 raises the bar for mono synths and redefines the word “fat.â€ÂÂ

It doesn't sound phat at all, it sounds exactly as thin as the Prophet 12. Why not use analog osc's like on the Tempest? I don't get it...
dubnspace
pelican wrote:
Feel sorry for those that ordered the new moog

guess it depends on if you want true VCO analog or Digital/Analog hybrid.. and considering Moogs aren't even shipping yet, it's pretty simple to cancel those preorders... I preordered the Sub 37 and am on the fence, there's plenty of features to like about the Pro2 but it's quite a hefty price tag..
ignatius
pownie wrote:
$1999 for a monosynth! That's ridiculous. Even though some of the specs are neat. CV, awesome step sequencer etc.
Quote:
The Pro 2 raises the bar for mono synths and redefines the word “fat.â€ÂÂ

It doesn't sound phat at all, it sounds exactly as thin as the Prophet 12. Why not use analog osc's like on the Tempest? I don't get it...

the tempest is same oscillators as in evolver right?
n_m
There's already thread going here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115323
ignatius
anyway.. pretty well stacked synth.. lot's of modulation and integration is cool. usb and CV i/o

seems like a winner. $2k seems a little spendy but perhaps actual retail will settle a little lower?
flashheart
pownie wrote:
Why not use analog osc's like on the Tempest? I don't get it...

Because there are enough monos with analogue oscillators already? Dave likes hybrids that much is obvious, I've no hankering for a monosynth with VCOs really.
That price is a bit of a shock if true - where did you see that?
GovernorSilver
Seems to me it has more in common with Elektron Analog Keys than the Sub 37.

BTW, all three keyboards cost $1500 or more.
pownie
ignatius wrote:
the tempest is same oscillators as in evolver right?

ehm, can't quite remember, to be honest. I think Tempest uses the same as the Mopho, which, if I recall correct, use the same as the Evolver. So yes, I think so. Or, at least I think I read so somewhere.
pownie
flashheart wrote:
Because there are enough monos with analogue oscillators already? Dave likes hybrids that much is obvious, I've no hankering for a monosynth with VCOs really.
That price is a bit of a shock if true - where did you see that?

Yeah, but I'd much perfer it like on the Evolver; both digital and analog osc's, + wavetables (and I had actually hoped samples as well).

The price is listed here. Steep as phuck, thin as hell. Sorry I'm hatin', it looks awesome, but expensive. Had just hoped for something different.
chvad
"Feel sorry for those that ordered the new moog"

unless you want a synth with a totally different sound. I see these two sitting next to one another well. Very little tonal crossover between dave's stuff and moogs.
greenscreens
very psyched on this for DSI abandoning the curtis design (thank heavens). if the Envelopes are snappy this thing will be huge.... (i dont remember the envelopes being very fast in his earlier designs)
Jason Brock
ignatius wrote:

seems like a winner. $2k seems a little spendy but perhaps actual retail will settle a little lower?

As with anything sold at Guitar Center and other such retailers, you can pretty much get 15% off if you just ask. And eventually a sale or promotion will probably put it closer to $1500 if you wait.
wired
Looks awesome, but too expensive Dead Banana
Chromex
As far as i know the Tempest oscs are the evolver oscs, which means 2 Digital with the VS waveforms and two DCO analog. Mopho is a "one voice prophet 8"- with a subosc not the same as evolver as it does not have the digital oscs with the VS waveforms
I would be interested in a Tempest for its versatility but the fact that Midi ccs are not received is a dealbreaker- apprently this is TBI , at least that what the website says but it has been TBI for a while and I imagine this will slow it down..
cscairney
where did the $2K mark come from? seriously, i just don't get it
donato
cscairney wrote:

I don't know about this thread, but on another board a DSI representative said $1999
n_m
cscairney wrote:

from http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/index.php

Quote:
The Pro 2 is scheduled to start shipping late July with a street price of $1,999. For more information, see the Pro 2 product page.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15