MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dave Smith Instruments Pro-Two
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Dave Smith Instruments Pro-Two
Slabwax
Boneheaded question here. How does 4-voice paraphonic differ from lets say the Mopho 4x? Is this in essence a polyphonic synth?
n_m
Slabwax wrote:
Boneheaded question here. How does 4-voice paraphonic differ from lets say the Mopho 4x? Is this in essence a polyphonic synth?

Only one filter set and output vca

Polyphony would have a set of filter/vca per voice
Funky40
the first synth since a looong time that gets my attention !
they´ve just donne the "design" right . ( 32 steps / in-out connectivity ) ( well, i miss wavetable VCOs )
just that i don´t have the pockets nor the space ( shitty modular addiction )
sloth713
For all it's capability and features (especially with the possiblility to route: 4 oscillators, 5 envelopes, sequencer,etc.. through the CV outs) I don't think $2000 is that outrageous.
Though of course I would prefer if it was more in the $1500 to $1700 price range.
h4ndcrafted
You can seq the CV with the step seq ?
pownie
Chromex wrote:
As far as i know the Tempest oscs are the evolver oscs, which means 2 Digital with the VS waveforms and two DCO analog. Mopho is a "one voice prophet 8"- with a subosc not the same as evolver as it does not have the digital oscs with the VS waveforms

Oh, yeah. I misunderstood. Yes, Evolver and Tempest both have four osc's, two digital and two analog. However, Tempest's digital osc's are samples, whereas Evolvers are wavetables. Tempest also has a sub-osc. What I meant was, that the analog osc's of the Evolver, Mopho (and therefore Tetra and Prophet '08 as well) and Tempest are the same, except numbers of sub-osc's (0/2/2/0/1).
cscairney
n_m wrote:
cscairney wrote:
where did the $2K mark come from? seriously, i just don't get it

from http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/index.php

Quote:
The Pro 2 is scheduled to start shipping late July with a street price of $1,999. For more information, see the Pro 2 product page.

Ah, i see! well thats just scratch for anyone who wants it bad enough...
ignatius
pownie wrote:
Chromex wrote:
As far as i know the Tempest oscs are the evolver oscs, which means 2 Digital with the VS waveforms and two DCO analog. Mopho is a "one voice prophet 8"- with a subosc not the same as evolver as it does not have the digital oscs with the VS waveforms

Oh, yeah. I misunderstood. Yes, Evolver and Tempest both have four osc's, two digital and two analog. However, Tempest's digital osc's are samples, whereas Evolvers are wavetables. Tempest also has a sub-osc. What I meant was, that the analog osc's of the Evolver, Mopho (and therefore Tetra and Prophet '08 as well) and Tempest are the same, except numbers of sub-osc's (0/2/2/0/1).

samples? i think it has some samples in ROM for some of the sounds but it also has oscillators for synthesis right? and the oscillators i think are the same as the "analog" side of the evolver.. i think..

from this link

http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/tempest/

Quote:
Each of the six analog voices has two analog oscillators plus two digital oscillators (with a large bank of included samples), the classic Curtis analog lowpass filter with audio-rate modulation, an additional highpass filter, analog VCA with feedback, five envelopes, two LFOs, an extraordinary variety of analog modulation routings, and stunning sonic quality, warmth, and punch. Although optimized for drum sounds, it excels at tuned sounds as well, and even doubles as a six-voice analog keyboard synth.
n_m
h4ndcrafted wrote:
You can seq the CV with the step seq ?

Looks like it
Quote:
Control Voltage Ins & Outs and Gate Out

Four 1-volt-per-octave control voltage inputs and outputs for interfacing with modular synths and other CV-compatible devices
Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing.
Mod Matrix runs up to audio rates.

Sequencer

Advanced step sequencer provides up to 32 steps per sequence and up to 16 tracks.
Supports real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences
Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV input
Sequences can control not only oscillator pitch but any parameter in the modulation matrix.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pro2/specs.php
sloth713
Here a few choice quotes from the specs page that can probably answer your question better than I can h4ndcrafted
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pro2/specs.php

Modulation
-16 x 2 modulation matrix with over 50 mod sources and over 140 mod destinations
-Parameters that can be sent to CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, sequencer tracks and any other source within the modulation matrix. Runs up to audio rates.
-Gate Out for triggering external CV-compatible devices; any CV in can be used as a gate input.

Control Voltage Ins & Outs and Gate Out
-Four 1-volt-per-octave control voltage inputs and outputs for interfacing with modular synths and other CV-compatible devices
-Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing.
-Mod Matrix runs up to audio rates.

Sequencer
-Advanced step sequencer provides up to 32 steps per sequence and up to 16 tracks.
-Supports real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences
-Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV input
-Sequences can control not only oscillator pitch but any parameter in the modulation matrix.

Edit: Looks like I was a little slow on the draw hihi
pownie
ignatius wrote:
samples? i think it has some samples in ROM for some of the sounds but it also has oscillators for synthesis right? and the oscillators i think are the same as the "analog" side of the evolver.. i think..

From the way you read through the different 'waves' of the digital osc's, I'd say they were all samples. There's also different shades of noise, regular waveshapes etc, but I think they're all samples. The analog are the same as Evolver etc, yes, as I also wrote.
flo
Wow! I am impressed applause
Bob Borries
greenscreens wrote:
very psyched on this for DSI abandoning the curtis design (thank heavens). if the Envelopes are snappy this thing will be huge.... (i dont remember the envelopes being very fast in his earlier designs)
Thank the Gods for that... Curtis chips were good in the 80's, but weak for todays standards.
h4ndcrafted
Thanks for info guys thumbs up

Just watched England fail in the World Cup so I'm feeling pretty basic...yeah yeah it's only football I know very frustrating

This synth has cheered me right up, I think the price is ok , just maybe a bit pricey considering the competition. But then the seq seems to be a big win.

Not sure about digital Osc right now, but this seems to have some nice options, filters.

$1500 and I'd be in straight away, but that is a reflection of what I'm willing to pay for a mono.

Assuming it will have the cool way of selecting mod destination like the 12? That would be cool if it did.
DougD
It's great that manufacturers are moving towards CV connectivity as a standard feature, and this synth goes beyond that and really does it right. I would own the Bass Station 2 (which sounds far better to me than my Microbrute) if it had CV and gate ins; it's just unacceptable to lack CV on an analog mono in 2014.
h4ndcrafted
ignatius wrote:
anyone notice this in the video?????

Yes I did, DS Modular huh SlayerBadger!
appliancide
This looks like the coolest DSI kit yet! It's so cool to live in an era where most of the original legends still have their hands in things!

$2k seems fair for what it can do, but like others have mentioned, it will probably be easy to pick up for a few hundred less. Modular too! we're not worthy
Vootman
I'm pretty stoked for this one. Sell the MEK and the Tetra for this...Boom! w00t
plogbidman
Will not sell my two Tetras... So incredible sound in such a small box...
h4ndcrafted
Ok just read through the whole spec, for the modular user this keyboard has to be a hell of an attractive option.

Modulation options and the routing to CV seems extensive. Very interested to hear what people have to say post July.
plogbidman
What are the specs of the keyboard ?
Any aftertouch ?
StepLogik
Nailed it.

Sounds fantastic. Great layout and chassis quality. That sequencer looks like a world of fun and seems incredibly easy to use. Tons of features that put it way beyond the crowded low-end mono synth market.

Starting to sound like a DSI fanboy over here but, godddamn, that man knows how to build a killer synthesizer.
Poptones
plogbidman wrote:
Any aftertouch ?

Voilà: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pro2/specs.php

Of course it has Aftertouch.
plogbidman
Poptones wrote:
plogbidman wrote:
Any aftertouch ?

Voilà: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pro2/specs.php

Of course it has Aftertouch.

Then Pro 2 + modular = Dead Banana
midilifestyle
Look closely at the video and the specs: I don't think the sequencer can send to CV out.

In the video he mentions it sending midi, in the specs is notes that it *syncs* with cv, audio in, or midi. We'll have to wait and see if those 'modulation destinations' include CV out.

If they do? With the feature set this thing has, especially audio in (finally!) and cute little things like the virtual bucket brigade delay? Shiiiiiiiii

I'm sold. Voyagers are like $2K+ used and I managed to get one of those. This will probably be in my future...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 2 of 15