MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY MIDI to trigger interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DIY MIDI to trigger interface
raveboyy
Hi,

anyone built this MIDI-trigger interface from obsoletetechnology web page?
Seems like a very easy to build and cheap sollution to get triggers out of my midi sequencer into modular.
In my local shop costs about 1,5 EUR to get the IC programmed as I don´t know how to do it myself. Rest of the parts are only common components and low count.

It needs 12V DC power supply...does it mean I can build it as a module and power it from +12V and GND rails from my Doepfer bus-board?

Hopefully the IC outputs triggers of 5V or higher, I didn´t study the datasheet yet but it probably should.

Anybody has any experience with this particular one or very same design?

Cheers Guinness ftw!
horstronic
raveboyy wrote:

It needs 12V DC power supply...does it mean I can build it as a module and power it from +12V and GND rails from my Doepfer bus-board?

Yes.

Quote:

Hopefully the IC outputs triggers of 5V or higher, I didn´t study the datasheet yet but it probably should.

The triggers will be 5V or less.
As the IC is powered by 5V, it can't be more than that.
I would take some op amps to buffer and boost the triggers.
mskala
If it has open-drain outputs, you could add pull-up resistors to a higher voltage and get triggers beyond the IC's power supply. The idea is that the microcontroller output acts as a switch to ground instead of a line driver, and it can safely switch voltages higher than its own power supply. There's a good chance the microcontroller's output pins can be set up to do that, but it might require a configuration command in the software. I'd suggest contacting whoever wrote the software, if possible.
mskala
Further to that: I checked the data sheet and it looks like it's no go - there is one pin (RA4) that is always open-drain, and it already has a pull-up shown on the schematic; but the others can't be configured to be open-drain, and even RA4 is only allowed to go up to 8.5V. So, you could make just that one trigger go up to 8.5V (maybe 8 for safety) by pulling it up to a higher-voltage supply, and it wouldn't even require a software change; but not the others.

Note that 5V is probably enough for Eurorack; most modules that take triggers expect 5V and will accept a little less.
raveboyy
For anyone who is going to build this, please be aware that MIDI pins 4 & 5 are swapped on the schematic!...until not revised ...MIDI pin 4 is a power source(+) for the LED in the optocoupler and MIDI pin 5 is power sink(-)
medbot
Michael Barton just came out with one of these too and offers a PCB if that makes anything easier - http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/M2G/
raveboyy
I know there are more options, but as I`m short of money I wanted to do everything I can from scratch...I`m finished now anyways:) and can`t be more happy with the module...one thing I would improve is to put a LED for each trigger output which could be probably easy doable..maybe next time:)
billsship
medbot wrote:
Michael Barton just came out with one of these too and offers a PCB if that makes anything easier - http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/M2G/

Was just about to post this. I can confirm that everything I've built from Barton is solid and well-documented.
qfactor
billsship wrote:
medbot wrote:

Was just about to post this. I can confirm that everything I've built from Barton is solid and well-documented.

And I second that!! Cheap and good (with an optional front panel if required too) from Michael's circuits AND comes with LEDs for all its 8 gate outputs too! thumbs up
raveboyy
OK, I have a problem....

After a few days of playing with http://obsoletetechnology.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/midi_to_trigger_ schematic.png it started to trigger slightly out of the tempo....sometimes it is accurate, then less, then after a second it comes back to the tempo and so on....do you think it could be a problem with the optocoupler or the PIC or some weak solderjoint?? Did anybody experienced something like this with any midi interface??
I´m suspicious it is a problem with the optocoupler because I bought 6N137 for ca. 0.5 EUR and they had there 6N137A for 1.5 EUR...do you think the cheaper one could be not so accurate??
Any help much appreciated we're not worthy [/u]
Stewart Pye
What OS/Software/MIDI Interface are you using? Often these types of issues are caused by the computer side of things.

Do you have another piece of MIDI hardware you can test the timing on? ie: use the same computer and MIDI interface, but send the MIDI out to another device and see how that device responds.

Stew.
raveboyy
Hi,

I´m using yamaha rs7000 as a midi sequencer for the MIDI-trigger interface module above for triggering a modular sequencer and drum-modules.

I´ve used the yamaha in past with many different machines without any problems ever.

So I assume it must be a problem with some part of the midi-trigger module... seriously, i just don't get it
raveboyy
I will try to stick there a more expensive optocoupler....hope it will be worth it ...
crustypaul
i had loads of problems with this obsolete technology interface. I've built it 3 or 4 times now and for some reason it doesn't seem to like the midi output from certain midi sources.

If i drive it from my Yamaha RM1X it seems to have loads of issues with missing note on and off messages if i trigger more than one output at once. Sometimes i'll turn on more than one output at the same time and only one will come on, or turn off several outputs at once and some outputs are left stuck on.
It also has problems with certain outputs turning off when others are turned on, even though you haven't sent a note off message i.e. turn on output 5 hand hold it on, and when you turn on output 6, output 5 will turn off.

Mysteriously it works fine if i try to drive it from anything with a more primitive midi spec, like my poly800. I suspect it might have something to do with active sensing or it not liking midi clock messages, but i have no idea what the issue might be.
raveboyy
crustypaul wrote:
i had loads of problems with this obsolete technology interface. I've built it 3 or 4 times now and for some reason it doesn't seem to like the midi output from certain midi sources.

If i drive it from my Yamaha RM1X it seems to have loads of issues with missing note on and off messages if i trigger more than one output at once. Sometimes i'll turn on more than one output at the same time and only one will come on, or turn off several outputs at once and some outputs are left stuck on.
It also has problems with certain outputs turning off when others are turned on, even though you haven't sent a note off message i.e. turn on output 5 hand hold it on, and when you turn on output 6, output 5 will turn off.

Mysteriously it works fine if i try to drive it from anything with a more primitive midi spec, like my poly800. I suspect it might have something to do with active sensing or it not liking midi clock messages, but i have no idea what the issue might be.

OK then it seems the program is not good for the yamaha.....I would be happy even for one trigger at time to use it as a MIDI->ANALOG clock..but even the one output jumps out of the time.....that`s so shame :(
raveboyy
OMG...now I turned in the yamaha midi utitlity:
MIDI CLOCK-> OUT A (on RM1X it is probably ON, as it has only 1 MIDI OUT)
MIDI FILTER-> NOTE ON...and everything else OFF

And now it works OK but only for one trigger out of the midi interface...
If more notes are triggered at the same time, it starts to do the mess like you said
CJ Miller
The RS7000 is reputed to be one of the tightest MIDI sequencers ever, so the problem is probably not it.

Between the two devices, are they handling note messages the same way? Such as note on - note off versus note on 127 - note on 0.

It is worth menu diving in your RS7000 to see if it offers any MIDI filtering options. Get rid of any MIDI but the essential. Otherwise, it helps to have a dedicated MIDI monitor/filter to put in the chain.
raveboyy
Yes that`s what I said in my last post...
I left in midi filter only NOTE and CLOCK and it works....even if only for one triggered note at the time...
Before i had only NOTE (no CLOCK) and it didn`t work that good

RS7000 is very good sequencet...just one thing is..when I jump from one `style` to another (`style` is a pattern of patterns or something like that on the RS7000) it goes for a fraction of second slightly out of the tempo and then quickly back in the tempo....I don`t know if its only my machine or all of them do it..
Neutron7
Delete!
crustypaul
I've tried this interface with various synths and sequencers by various manufacturers and the only ones that it seems to work perfectly with are older machines with basic midi, like a poly800 and DX21

I've tried filtering out everything but the note on note off messages from my RM1x output and it still has the same problems. My Roland DJ70 and MV8000 seem to cause the same issues as well. This is why i thought the problem might stem from something that can't be filtered and wasn't always used on machines with a crappy midi spec, like active sensing. Whatever it is, the interface code doesn't seem to filter out unwanted midi data very well.

Having said that, the interface also works fine driven by Nuendo on my PC, so god knows whats going on there.
raveboyy
that`s interesting ....
my works now for one note, when only clock and note are enabled out of the rs7000...and I must say I`m quite happy even for that...

Would be nice if someone makes a revision of the firmware ...but i have absolutely no idea how these codes work.. Dead Banana
JRC4558D
Hi guys,

Anyone could make it work properly? (the obsoletetechnology interface)

I can't find anything like this (DIY), I mean that easy and cheap to build.

If anyone knows if there is any DIY PIC based MIDI2TRIGGER please leave a link or something. applause

Cheers.
JRC4558D
JRC4558D wrote:
Hi guys,

Anyone could make it work properly? (the obsoletetechnology interface)

I can't find anything like this (DIY), I mean that easy and cheap to build.

If anyone knows if there is any DIY PIC based MIDI2TRIGGER please leave a link or something. applause

Cheers.

I've found this guy, that says he sells (at least in 2012) universal PCBs based in this project. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52060.html
meh
Ayab
https://github.com/jbeuckm/atmega_midi_cv_drums

I really want to build a midi to trigger too but worried that this one looks a bit complicated. I am sure that this pcb design is good as Joebeuckm certainly knows his stuff. I should ask Joebeuckm for a wiring diagram as I have seen him about on Electro-music forum.

You can get atmega copies very cheaply - there is a link somewhere on Tombola's Euclidian Sequencer thread or the Euclidian Sequencer thread by THXsomething or other. I can give better info if you need.
JRC4558D
Ayab wrote:
https://github.com/jbeuckm/atmega_midi_cv_drums

I really want to build a midi to trigger too but worried that this one looks a bit complicated. I am sure that this pcb design is good as Joebeuckm certainly knows his stuff. I should ask Joebeuckm for a wiring diagram as I have seen him about on Electro-music forum.

You can get atmega copies very cheaply - there is a link somewhere on Tombola's Euclidian Sequencer thread or the Euclidian Sequencer thread by THXsomething or other. I can give better info if you need.

Hey, Thanks a lot!

I agree, looks a bit complicated, however the velocity/accent control is what I like the most, otherwise is like too much of everything...

I have the obsoletetechnology (O.T) thing on the breadboard but I think I screwed the PIC, I'll burn another and try it again to see if it works or not.
If it doesn't and you are ok I could PM you or post here asking you for the extra info. hmmm.....

I have a PIC burner but not ARTMEGA, that's why I am looking for PIC projects and because (O.T) is a really cheap one to build. Rockin' Banana!

cheers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2