CrossOver Filter

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:24 am

In case anyone missed the mailout yesterday...:

First batch now online (few remaining)

Image

User avatar
wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1580
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 am

Post by wednesdayayay » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 am

If I wasn't saving for a video synth I would pick one of these up for my ciat lonbarde setup
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

User avatar
Cheradenine
Modulate me harder
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:51 pm
Location: Between Léman and Jura

Post by Cheradenine » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 am

:cloud:
:hail:
:nana:
Ordered, of course !

User avatar
soup
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Post by soup » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Fucking fucking fuck is this good!

I never considered flipping the phase on opposite sides of a filter before. The frequency canceling (along with the fucked up internal modulation) is blowing my mind.

User avatar
ginorobair
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bay Area

CrossOver Filter

Post by ginorobair » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:56 am

Really enjoying the ability to go from clean to gritty/grungy in short order with this filter. I'll post a pic of mine in situ once I figure out how to get this darn thing to accept my photo...

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 am

I happen to have one available right now - here

The 2nd-half of the main production batch is being completed at the moment so.. more soon(ish)

User avatar
qstate
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:42 pm
Location: WNC

Post by qstate » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 am

Gotta say that I dig the CO Filter for live drone tweaking. The big knobs are great and am running into two channels of a mixer for theoretical hard panning.

Here's a lengthy slow build jam (action starts around 10 min) with the 2x CO Filters processing 6 drone oscillators each out of a NLC CMOSC. Headphones are recommended as the DRM1 bass is low...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/177899837" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

This is a great live rig add-on:
Image

User avatar
Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Zeitdehner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 am

I found that to be quite excellent ! Thanks for sharing :tu:

Kernelkunt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 am

Post by Kernelkunt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:33 am

qstate wrote:Gotta say that I dig the CO Filter for live drone tweaking. The big knobs are great and am running into two channels of a mixer for theoretical hard panning.

Here's a lengthy slow build jam (action starts around 10 min) with the 2x CO Filters processing 6 drone oscillators each out of a NLC CMOSC. Headphones are recommended as the DRM1 bass is low...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/177899837" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Thats a really cool jam! Just six oscillators into the CO filter? I also checked out the other jam on your soundcloud, was that a similar setup?

User avatar
tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 am

Post by tron23 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for sharing, the CO is so nice! :guinness:

User avatar
qstate
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:42 pm
Location: WNC

Post by qstate » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:19 am

Kernelkunt wrote: Thats a really cool jam! Just six oscillators into the CO filter? I also checked out the other jam on your soundcloud, was that a similar setup?
Thanks!

In #1 the drone part was actually the 12 oscillators from the CMOSC (6 pairs). There are other "voices" in there from the VCO panel. In #2, I had to leave out the Reds because for the performance I was preparing for I ran out of table space to fit an 11FW enclosure and Bug PSU (another plus for the smaller red enclosures). Currently, I'm working on a new setup so I can fit 2x PEQs, 2 COFilters+exp, and 1 or 2 PT Delays.

The two sets of 3 pairs were mixed into the two Mix modules of the NLC VCO panel with the output of each Mix into it's own COFilter. The High (mix) outputs of the COFilter were run into a little Soundcraft mixer. With the two freq knobs and the level knobs, it's really easy to blend and evolve the sound over time. This is a pretty simple and naive usage of the CoFilter but it's an application that really sold me on the design of the Reds in general as both studio and live tools that can be add-on to any other system. I enjoy using the COFilter and PEQ more than a typical outboard/mixer EQ for creative purposes and am not really into tweaking DAW plugins (the pain!).

In general, I find myself using the Reds more to enhance other systems as a "modular sidecar" rather than keeping it with my Blues. For example, they are an amazing complement to NLC, Ciat-Lonbarde or even Buchla stuff. Combined with an Easel/208r or CQ/PB combo, those systems would really open up a lot of sonic possibilities beyond their typical sound. I don't really patch them as much with Serge or Bugbrand (except DRM1) which is opposite of what I thought when I got them!

Kernelkunt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 am

Post by Kernelkunt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 am

qstate wrote:
Kernelkunt wrote: Thats a really cool jam! Just six oscillators into the CO filter? I also checked out the other jam on your soundcloud, was that a similar setup?
Thanks!

In #1 the drone part was actually the 12 oscillators from the CMOSC (6 pairs). There are other "voices" in there from the VCO panel. In #2, I had to leave out the Reds because for the performance I was preparing for I ran out of table space to fit an 11FW enclosure and Bug PSU (another plus for the smaller red enclosures). Currently, I'm working on a new setup so I can fit 2x PEQs, 2 COFilters+exp, and 1 or 2 PT Delays.

The two sets of 3 pairs were mixed into the two Mix modules of the NLC VCO panel with the output of each Mix into it's own COFilter. The High (mix) outputs of the COFilter were run into a little Soundcraft mixer. With the two freq knobs and the level knobs, it's really easy to blend and evolve the sound over time. This is a pretty simple and naive usage of the CoFilter but it's an application that really sold me on the design of the Reds in general as both studio and live tools that can be add-on to any other system. I enjoy using the COFilter and PEQ more than a typical outboard/mixer EQ for creative purposes and am not really into tweaking DAW plugins (the pain!).

In general, I find myself using the Reds more to enhance other systems as a "modular sidecar" rather than keeping it with my Blues. For example, they are an amazing complement to NLC, Ciat-Lonbarde or even Buchla stuff. Combined with an Easel/208r or CQ/PB combo, those systems would really open up a lot of sonic possibilities beyond their typical sound. I don't really patch them as much with Serge or Bugbrand (except DRM1) which is opposite of what I thought when I got them!
Thanks for the run-down! Always interesting to hear how people are using these tools. Would also love to hear it if you got some more of these drones.

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:09 pm

So.. now that I've begun releasing a 2nd run of the CrossOverFilter, do any users care to comment on how they've found it? It has been out roughly a year now.

I'm partly asking because it seems to be a slow-burner - the PEQ seems to get the attention at the moment, so I wonder if I haven't described the POWER clearly enough?!

One point being - someone said a couple of days ago that they'd rather wait for a PEQ because they wanted the big-knobs for High-pass & Low-pass.. Well, I said...
- if you take the MID output, then you get that WITH EXTRAS (resonance and CV control, for example) -- the first filter does the High-Pass, the 2nd does the Low-Pass. (MS20-ish even perhaps?)

But then.. you can also mix in a bit of the extracted bands at the same time - or play with the phasing (definitely changes the resonance response) - or do those with the individual outputs and get crazy with panning.

The 3 outputs and/or the normalised output mixing = (I feel) pretty darn powerful! You can, for example, get phasing effects if you keep both levels up around the cutoff point ( x 2 because there are the 2 filters). Hell, it even gives 2 pure sine-waves with the ability to self-modulate (Modulation set to Int - this takes each BP filter output over to the CV input)

User avatar
Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Zeitdehner » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but isn't it a bit awkward to have the mute in the center position of the polarity switches ?
I think I'd rather be able to switch polarity without having to get past the mute either way... :hmm:

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:59 pm

I don't *think* it is too awkward - but perhaps others can comment..
- in testing I switch from +ve to -ve, usually finding that it moves instantly through the centre-off position.
- saying that, I've never really played with the polarity switching in a live situation.

User avatar
indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 am
Location: Isle of Man

Post by indexofmetals » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:02 pm

The PEQ is great (I have 6) and use them with 500 series preamps & compressors. I've got a Chandler Curve Bender as well and JLM 500 series EQ's and the PEQ sits at least equal to them.

but I still think the COF is better. I use it and the wavefolder in every patch. I've gotten to know it so well that I wouldn't change anything.

Re phasing, the basis of this song were two Bugbrand patches that I made as close to each other as possible, done live as stereo (both fed into pair of Roland tape echo's as didn't have a spring tanker at the time) and I was manipulating both COF's by hand so the sweeping isn't perfectly in sync.


User avatar
Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Zeitdehner » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:45 pm

BugBrand wrote:I don't *think* it is too awkward - but perhaps others can comment..
- in testing I switch from +ve to -ve, usually finding that it moves instantly through the centre-off position.
- saying that, I've never really played with the polarity switching in a live situation.
I was just wondering...perhaps I'll try this at Phisynth's one of these days...

@Indexofmetals : that track sounds superb :woah: :tu:

vegas7188
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:16 am
Location: London, England

Post by vegas7188 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm

I think when i got a PEQ my intention was to use it as part of a traditional channel strip for recording and mixing duties and i looked at the Crossover filter and kind of thought of it more as a part of a synth setup (at the time i didnt get one as i felt i already had filters in my synth setup). As i read on and looked into it more, the more into the idea of the Crossover i became (how it can essentially function in a similar way as the PEQ in a Channel strip set up if you want plus alot more) and now i bought one on this run! Hooray!

I also thought i might try it wth my bass guitar going via the crossover to a couple of amps (hi-pass to guitar amp via other effects perhaps) and low-pass to bass amp perhaps clean keep some of the low end in tact and not blow up guitar amp. Could be quite fun.

Plus obviously big bonus is banana cv ins.

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Post by /\/\/\/ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:58 pm

The PEQ is great at what it does - the physical layout is perfect and it's a very useful tool. For me, the COFilter is much more fun to play with, and playing with resonance and self-modulation leads to more interesting results compared to straight EQ changes. You can pull little hidden melodies out of a drum loop or completely change the character of a sound - almost like some kind of sonic alchemy. (With the addition of a few other guitar pedals, I've made an sk-1 rhythm preset sound like a fairly convincing symphony orchestra, and a very drunken marching band.) When generating a sine wave with each filter, you can play some nice overtone series drones. And the stereo applications are great too... so many directions to go within this box.

I would be interested to hear any creative uses for multiple COFilters... I'm definitely considering picking up a second one.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4693
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 am

Moving atm to another place, but I was able to test for the first time the COF filter during 10 mins.
I must say: I was very impressed! To me, I'd say a true revelation.
What Tom did here is IMO quite unique! :hail:

And I'm impatient to be able to play again with the BugBrand system :banana:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

User avatar
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:04 am
Location: Island X, West Coast of Sweden

Post by otoskope » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:27 am

Agreed! Every time I use it I found new ways and new features. Amazing module. Fantastic to create stereo richness from mono sources, too!

Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.


soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

User avatar
seeasound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 am

Post by seeasound » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:30 am

Hey just got my first Bug gear, a CO Filter and PEQ a few hours ago and as expected they are totally off the hook! Really exciting to have these two unique tone shapers in the studio AND they look and feel so freaking awesome, I love red!!

Here is my first play around on the CO filter. No stereo freakery yet.. Running into it is the Little Deformer...another magnificent piece scored a little over a month ago and Im just running through a buncha patterns I made while tweaking the CO :tu:

http://soundcloud.com/seer/co-filter-demo/s-CiRrR

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4693
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Finally I took a few mins today to check the CrossOver Filter functionality. Really a great design!

Had fun at the end of the session with playing it simply in self-oscillating mode. Same CV from sequencer going into CV from 1 & 2.
Direct Out to reverb/delay.
Sorry, I should cut at 1:00, but I'm on the other computer now without possibility to do so before upload.

We don't hear always the highest note, cause I mute CV2 from time to time.
I like how the highest note from 2 sounds when Q is not fully opened (VCA/LPG alike):

-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

User avatar
drwiener
Common Wiggler
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 am
Location: Berlin

Post by drwiener » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 pm

batchas wrote:Finally I took a few mins today to check the CrossOver Filter functionality. Really a great design!

Had fun at the end of the session with playing it simply in self-oscillating mode. Same CV from sequencer going into CV from 1 & 2.
Direct Out to reverb/delay.
Sorry, I should cut at 1:00, but I'm on the other computer now without possibility to do so before upload.

We don't hear always the highest note, cause I mute CV2 from time to time.
I like how the highest note from 2 sounds when Q is not fully opened (VCA/LPG alike):

nice demo - makes me want it more!

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 am

Two good demos above! Nice (and sorry for being slow to listen seeasound)

Post Reply

Return to “BugBrand Devices”