MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

CrossOver Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author CrossOver Filter

BugBrand

Here's the first word..

Two filters in one box - nice arrangement, I think.

This is a picture of the only existing prototype which now isn't even in my possession - could only loan it out yesterday as the 1st production batch is underway already!

Main thrust was SERIES filtering where the Highpass out of the first State-Variable Filter feeds the input of the 2nd SV-Filter. Thus you get a MID-band from the 2nd filter's Lowpass output.

Block diagram will hopefully clarify!

a100user

Hot damn, ready already grin

BugBrand

Hopefully this block diagram can help explain somewhat.

Input Preamp - clean with gain up to 20dB

Two independent or chained 12dB/Oct State Variable Filters with resonance (Q) to self-oscillation.
Each filter covers the full audio spectrum 20-20kHz and has Low/Band/High-pass outputs though not all of these are accessible on the standalone module (there is a 1FW expander for modular users which presents ALL + extra CV and audio ins)

The filters can be run in Series or Parallel:
Series - the High output of Filt1 feeds the input of Filt2.
Parallel - both filters get the buffered input signal. In this mode the first filter is purely a Low-Pass, while the 2nd has separate Low/High outputs.
I was initially just going to have Series but it proved easy to add the mode switch.

The Filters are, of course, voltage controlled, scaled to 1V/Oct (haven't confirmed tracking range - imagine 5+ octaves tight tracking) - each one has an FM input (banana) and polarizing depth control. The Int/Ext switches are a weird bonus -> I took the BandPass output from each filter and that feeds the Int switch position for some audio cross-modulation - it can get very gnarly and chaotic, especially with high resonance.

The three outputs bands each have a polarity switch (centre-off for quick signal muting) so you can experiment with phase inversion/cancelling before an output level control and buffer.
The Low and Mid outputs are normalised to the High section so if nothing is plugged into either then the signal flows on to mix at High.

I found this quite powerful - you can either mix in mono from the High output, adjusting the different bands OR perhaps take each output to a different mixer channel & try panning (headphone space out). I'd been keen to start bringing some more stereo action to my setups and while this is obviously just MONO in, the 3 outputs gives some new fun powers.

Release date & price TBC - as mentioned, production is underway, but this always takes some time.

BugBrand

PS - here's an old recording during proto-times. Good on headphones for head-spin panning.

http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/audio/Crossover2__16Apr14.mp3

a100user

Any indication on pricing yet Tom?

BugBrand

Probably a nudge above the PT Delay but below the DRM1.

Gringo Starr

Is there any chance in the future that you will do a run of these that are designed to flow easier with Bugbrand modular systems? Banana-fied and uncased basically?

Btw, no offense to your vision and creation. I'm always a bit hesitant to ask things like this to the designers. I feel like that would be like someone hearing my song and saying "any chance in the future that you'll change the chord progression of the verse?".

BugBrand

The 1FW Expander will open things up for modular users and won't be available as Standalone as I don't have 4FW cases.

The expander gives individual filter inputs (designed for standard +/-5V audio signals as in the modular), individual Low/Band/High-pass responses for each filter, and a 1V/Oct CV input for each filter.

Pics once I've built the first one.

You know I've had to make a choice to move from the previous modular work, but I'm also generally trying to design in expansion possibilities to new designs.

Edit - to clarify - I will not be doing these new designs with bananas instead of 1/4" jacks. The work flow for me is more studio based rather than pure modular. Audio routing on jacks and modulation on banana. (yeah, don't say Buchlalala)

101010oxo

BugBrand wrote:

Hopefully this block diagram can help explain somewhat.

So, if I am setting this to parallel MID and LOW are both LP outputs from two different (but identical) filters?

BugBrand

Yup - may be useful in some instances - it was a simple addition so I figured to go with it - useful too with the Expander panel.

One thing I played with recently was using the Parallel mode with LOW going to centre, then MID and HIGH being panned (hard panned or less so). As you sweep the Cutoff2 the pan position will alter --- interesting to me is how you can pretty much maintain the percieved fidelity of the full audio band, while sending it into stereo weirdyness. (though wondering how vinyl mastering engineers will take all this...)

101010oxo

BugBrand wrote:
Yup - may be useful in some instances - it was a simple addition so I figured to go with it [...]

Don't get me wrong - I quite like the design! thumbs up

BugBrand

Here's the Expander.
Super simple - passive - just connects to headers on the main module.

In essence you then have two completely independent SV-Filters.
You could, for example, patch up a 24dB/Oct LowPass or HighPass (must try this actually!) - just use in parallel mode.

tron23

love Too promising design, I have to save some money! w00t

Gringo Starr

Aha! So this will be available uncased. Coolio!

soup

This looks so good.

101010oxo

I quite like the soundcloud demos thumbs up

BugBrand

Here we go then!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/158640672" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Running through the bands of the BugBrand CrossOverFilter.

Clean signal loop to begin then Low, Mid and High Bands - for each band, begin with no resonance, then turn it up and also show some gentle Frequency Self-Modulation.
The final bit has the bands mixed together (all positive phase)
Downloadable as .wav

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/158641195" params="color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false" width="100%" height="20" iframe="false" /]
Demo of the BugBrand CrossOverFilter taking the 3 Band outputs to separately panned channels - LOW to left, MID to middle, HIGH to right.
Try to listen with headphones! Clean-ish processing beginnings (sweeping with no/low resonance) before becoming more experimental - phase inversion of MID band - Frequency Self-Modulation - then no-input Self-Oscillation tones at the end.

BugBrand

Here's another::
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/158649223" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
The CrossOver Filter processing a pattern on the Korg Volca Beats.
Playful modulations - some clocked external modulations & Frequency Self-Modulation
Downloadable as .wav

a100user

Sounds very nice indeed Tom

tron23

Is this the future sound of acid? w00t

otoskope

Truly a beautiful set of demos, Tom. Very nice. Can't wait!

BugBrand

Thanks!

One more while I was testing boxes.. I've already been using the little MiniBrute for checking the 1V/Oct tuning of the filters, but I thought I'd try 'ping-ing' the filters with the keyboard's Gate output - I used to do that with the modular (PRC3A SV-Filter). Works quite nicely (though would prefer Trigger rather than Gate)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/158822685" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

shady smiles

Great demos Tom. Love the pings.

Can't wait! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ginko

I thought I would also prefer a banana only version as I am using a bunch of small bananafied devices in some work - then i realised that I wouldn't be able to use the effect with any device other than those hihi

Looks great!

otoskope

Completely OT, but inspired by your ping demo above, Tom, I did this little noodle as a little night excercise, all bug modular, based on gate-pinged SV filters:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1616617#1616617

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3