MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[New Module] nw2s::io Balanced line transceiver
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [New Module] nw2s::io Balanced line transceiver
HIMA
scottwilson wrote:

Hope that helps clarify a bit more.

It does, and i've made space for one in my rack! thumbs up
scottwilson
Progress update...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1667436#1667436
Stant
Looks like a great module, cant wait wink
SirSickSik
want!
thanks, I was just looking for such a module!
scottwilson
Prototypes are on their way back to me. Keep your fingers crossed!

s
botstein
scottwilson wrote:

s

Exciting! This is definitely a module that a lot of us need.
ignatius
so ready for this! super awesome thing that will be problem solver for me smile
CF3
scottwilson wrote:

s

Ready and Waiting. I so need this module. This will allow me to process shit thru the modular like a gentleman. SlayerBadger!
SirSickSik
isn't there some DIY kit to incoorporate stompboxes into your module?
in the sence that you take your stompbox apart and combine that circuit with an in&out circuit and maybe some CV possibilities?
scottwilson
You might be thinking of something different. This is specifically for integrating modular gear with balanced studio gear.

...And speaking of, the mainboard prototypes are waiting for me at home!

s
visible cow
Sorry, I realize this has been brought up but I didn't fully understand. Does the unique power requirement of this module mean that it is going to be especially power hungry? I'm hoping to stick this in my enclave flight case which has a sufficient but far from robust power supply.
scottwilson
It's a good question. Now that I have the prototypes, I can move beyond the theoretical and into the practical. I'll be taking measurements as part of the testing.

The reason behind the requirement is to be able to run the line drivers at their optimal voltage level of +/- 18V so that they can reach an output of about 22dBu.

To generate a reasonably clean DC supply from another DC source, you're going to consume a bit more power than you produce. Multiply that by the fact that you're increasing the voltage, so you require a bit more current even above the inefficiencies inherent in the system.

The power module consumes between 30mA to 300mA depending on its load.

I am hoping for something around 50 to 100 as an average and 150mA as a worst case... but you never know... Maybe you're running 8 channels of +20dBu audio into your WWII 600Ω radio microphone preamp through some zip cord you found on the side of the road with a couple of intermittent shorts? That will consume a lot more current than wiring it to a new Avid HDIO with some pristine Mogami studio cabling.

s
goiks
tascam pinout?
scottwilson
Yes. Tascam.
CF3
scottwilson wrote:
Maybe you're running 8 channels of +20dBu audio into your WWII 600Ω radio microphone preamp through some zip cord you found on the side of the road with a couple of intermittent shorts?

lolspew
Ya-Neck
Omagad!!! hyper hyper
Realy can't wait for this one!! thanks for all your work!!
rhizomatik
This looks just perfect for my workflow! applause
djthopa
Scott, would this be a good setup to use with my allen heath zed r-16?

Mostly for multitrack recording.

Lots of wires going from the modular to the mixer at the moment.

Dead Banana
seank
i'm planning on doing the same with an a&h wz4 16:2 mixer. 8 channels from the modular to the inserts with a snake, 6 fx sends to and from the mixer with two more snakes. so much easier!

would db25 to xlr or db25 to 1/4" snake be better for this situation? or does it matter?
ignatius
It's balanced I/o so 1/4 try's or Zoe are both fine. I'm guessing. So whatever you need to patch into... use that type of connection.
scottwilson
Looking at the shot of the inputs of the wz4, the mic inputs are on XLR and the line inputs are on TRS, so you're going to want DB-25 to TRS for that specific mixer.

s
seank
nice. thank you! can't wait to run all my euro fx as sends. this rules. do you have an eta or estimated price? mark me down for two.
scottwilson
For subscribers of this thread, I've updated the other one with some new info:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1729456#1729456

s
scottwilson
Just a heads up - it's available for order now!

http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-io/

s
Noha
Hi, I have a question about this module:

It's stated that it can be used to send audio or CV out of the modular, but that the modular audio levels are attenuated -6dB as they leave the system through this module. So what happens to CV? Does it get attenuated as well? I would be interested in sending CV/Gate from the modular through this module to rack gear that takes CV/Gate, but I don't want the CV to get attenuated as this would screw up tuning.

thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3