MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silly pitch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Silly pitch
worker8
I'm new to Volta and wonder why the calibration process is so unpredictable.

Now, I tend to calibrate with a louder signal. And I can play easily through 3 octaves.

Is this the only thing I missed ?

I use a MOTU Ultralite mkIII, and play with ZO, A-143-9 & A-110.
1nput0utput
Are you sure that you're not clipping the audio interface input that you're using for calibration? If I recall correctly, all of the UltraLite mk3's inputs have a trim control. A strong signal is good for calibration, but it will be distorted if it's too strong.
worker8
1nput0utput wrote:
Are you sure that you're not clipping the audio interface input that you're using for calibration? If I recall correctly, all of the UltraLite mk3's inputs have a trim control. A strong signal is good for calibration, but it will be distorted if it's too strong.

I don't notice any clipping : I always have an open scope to monitor the incoming signal. Furthermore, my recordings are clean.
seriously, i just don't get it
1nput0utput
According to the Volta manual, the UltraLite mk3 analog outputs 1 through 8 produce ±3.5 VDC, which should correspond with about 3.5 octaves from a V/octave oscillator. The main outputs produce ±4.6 VDC, so try using one of the main outputs instead. You should get another octave of pitch CV tracking.
os
±3.5 V is a 7 V range i.e. 7 octaves. I speak from experience.
worker8
os wrote:
±3.5 V is a 7 V range i.e. 7 octaves. I speak from experience.

Don't you need a +3,5V offset to feed the VCO with a 0-7V voltage ?

I need to check the input range of my VCOs ...
os
That would depend on your VCOs. Most that I'm aware of take both positive and negative voltages. Possibly Buchlas take positive only, though I may be making that up. razz
doctorvague
os wrote:
That would depend on your VCOs. Most that I'm aware of take both positive and negative voltages. Possibly Buchlas take positive only, though I may be making that up. razz


I agree, the examples I've seen where only a positive voltage would work was with the MS-20 and a couple of other vintage monosynths (Roland SH-xx for example don't recall which one). Maybe with the Buchla as an exception, I think most modern modular oscillators will accept negative CV's. Otherwise you couldn't even do simple vibrato or frequency sweep with a standard LFO>osc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group