MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trumpet+synthesizers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Trumpet+synthesizers?
baboo
I came across a record from Tomasz Stanko called "freelectronic" snd it's freakin' cool. I love the combination of trumpet and electronic instruments.
I know that Miles did some stuff like that but I don't know any others..

I'm asking because I started playing the trumpet myself recently, and I'd like to record some stuff with my modular and trumpet- looking for inspiration! nanners
suitandtieguy
have you checked out Jon Hassell?
BugBrand
Chicago Underground Duo/Trio/Quartet etc
-- mainly based arounda duo of great drummer & trumpet with plenty of electronics.
There's a quartet one (self-titled I think) with a plain gold cover that I especially like.

I'd never given Miles Davis much time but Bitches Brew completely changed that.

By the way -- I wanted to try modifying a trumpet for direct coupling to electronics (but then didn't find the time) - I'd met a wonderful trombonist in Holland who had a special mic'ing system that had a custom mouthpiece - so the signal was picked up at the mouthpiece rather than at the bell.
sandyb
+1 on Jon Hassell
baboo
thanks, I like Jon Hassell very much! I'll definetly look for his albums in my music store.
Ranxerox
You must hear Arve Henriksen's amazing trumpet playing with Norwegian band Supersilent. Their blend of analogue electronics and free-improv jazz is frightening and exhilarating in equal measure. Henriksen also has solo albums out on ECM and Rune Grammafon.

Also, Toshinori Kondo is a jazz trumpeter who plays through harmonisors and other effects; his collaboration album with DJ Krush - 'Ki Oku' - is a damn fine listen.
oozitron
I played trumpet in HS. This album is amazing...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003S2B/sr=1-8/qid=1264218365/ref= olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1264218365&sr=1-8&seller=

Wow, $199? I need to dig out my vinyl copy!

In a totally different genre, this rocks too:
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bath-Don-Ellis/dp/B000009RC0/ref=sr_1_1  ?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264218605&sr=1-1

Kind of 'big band meets king crimson'. Don plays a four valve trumpet so he can play quartertones smile

Drew
zerosum
Talk to Thermionicjunky! thumbs up

also you can get some really nice synthesized "close to trumpet" sounds with the modcan VC flanger woah applause
dude
isotope 217 , guys from chicago underground 2/3/tortoise and whatnot. i think the ringleader is named rob mazurek. he is really good about combining horns+electronics and has tons of projects. stereolab might help at times?
JohnLRice
Check out Mark Isham's Vapor Drawings. If you are in the mood for something laid back. 8_)
dude
probably some dave douglas that has some electronics somewhere. oh and i think there was a john zorn thing or hundreds with trumpet and electronics. more on the out side of things though depending.
valis
John Hassell is really cool. At least the limited stuff that I've heard from him.

Anybody remember Ben Neill? He did some great stuff but I haven't heard anything from/about him in years..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Neill
thermionicjunky
Morton Subotnick _ After the Butterfly
Miles, of course - he also had a pickup installed in his mouthpiece.

Anyway, I've been playing trumpet for 20 years. My next series of recordings should exploit that.
dude
yes of course miles did about everything!
MindMachine
Of course Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinoxe and Possible Musics Fourth World.

Also Jeff Kaiser (trumpet/effects/loops)... no analog, but awesome live stuff... w/ Andrew Pask (bass clarinet, sax & effects) is best (also known as Choirboys). Seen them a few times and Signal to Noise Magazine shows fondness for them... good newer stuff (but Hassell rules).

Edit: ... and of course Throbbing Gristle hihi
thermionicjunky
I forgot Karlheinz Stockhausen - "Aries." Trumpet + Synthi 100
plord
+1 on Ben Neill.
opsysbug
++1 Supersilent !! Especially 1/2/3 box set.
valis
plord wrote:
+1 on Ben Neill.

Hooray w00t

I'm so glad somebody remembers him. I liked him a bunch and am glad that he's not forgotten..
wetterberg
Jeff Kaiser, as mentioned.

Another stand-out is Nils Petter Molvaer. I saw him by accident way back in like 1995 or something - a club in Berlin - delayed out trumpet on a drum and bass set... blew my mind.

A bit more mellow here:
neandrewthal
valis wrote:
plord wrote:
+1 on Ben Neill.

Hooray w00t

I'm so glad somebody remembers him. I liked him a bunch and am glad that he's not forgotten..

Hehe. I forgot all about him, but now that you mention it I found his cd, Goldbug in my collection. Maybe it's time to dig it out for another listen This is fun!
baboo
nice I'm going through stuff you posted and this is some good music! SlayerBadger!
Reese P. Dubin
Just started working on a new act with 2 trumpeters (1 with a steiner EVI to boot) and 2 on synths. So far SO good. Some of the happiest times I have had playing in ages. Something about muted trumpets are so damn glorious.
MindMachine
Yes - I agree... keep them muted hihi
kindredlost
valis wrote:
John Hassell is really cool. At least the limited stuff that I've heard from him.

Anybody remember Ben Neill? He did some great stuff but I haven't heard anything from/about him in years..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Neill

I found this on (((ECHOES))) radio. The "Living Room Concert" series has an excerpt from the radio show done in 2009. The track "Gaugear" by Ben Neill. A nice photo of him and his custom electronic hybrid horn is a great find too.

http://www.echoes.org/LRCbonus.html

-David
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2