MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tenori-On parts unavailable; 'Not Field-Serviceable'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author Tenori-On parts unavailable; 'Not Field-Serviceable'
was silents
Just a bit of info for latecomers like me. I just picked up a second-hand Tenori-On and love it. Unfortunately the power switch is broken. Called Yamaha and guess what? "The TNR-W is not field-serviceable."

"What does that mean?" I asked

"No parts, exchange only" said the rep.

"But it is discontinued..."

"Ha ha ha" he chuckled smugly. "That's a problem for the Customer Support Department."

Typical disappointing corporate misbehavior. Bottom line, if you need proprietary or discontinued parts for the TNRW you are SOL.

Found the TNR-O service manual online and the power switch is a standard ALPS part you can get from Mouser (for now) but I think the TNR's has a longer shaft, not sure. Nevertheless, I'll have to go that route and figure out an adapter if needed.

Anyway, thought everyone should know; you can't get parts for the TNR-W from Yamaha.
Paranormal Patroler
waah
ersatzplanet
was silents wrote:
Just a bit of info for latecomers like me. I just picked up a second-hand Tenori-On and love it. Unfortunately the power switch is broken. Called Yamaha and guess what? "The TNR-W is not field-serviceable."

"What does that mean?" I asked

"No parts, exchange only" said the rep.

"But it is discontinued..."

"Ha ha ha" he chuckled smugly. "That's a problem for the Customer Support Department."

Typical disappointing corporate misbehavior. Bottom line, if you need proprietary or discontinued parts for the TNRW you are SOL.

Found the TNR-O service manual online and the power switch is a standard ALPS part you can get from Mouser (for now) but I think the TNR's has a longer shaft, not sure. Nevertheless, I'll have to go that route and figure out an adapter if needed.

Anyway, thought everyone should know; you can't get parts for the TNR-W from Yamaha.

Can you post the link to the service manual? I have the exact same problem with my TNRW, the shaft broke off of the power switch. I either have to turn it on with an Xacto knife or leave it on and pull a battery or the power supply. A real drag. I took it apart to look at the switch and it is not in a very convenient place to unsolder and replace either.
Neekau
Yamaha usually keep parts for 10 years after end of commercial life, so I am a little surprised by what happenend to you...
was silents
ersatzplanet wrote:

Can you post the link to the service manual? I have the exact same problem with my TNRW, the shaft broke off of the power switch. I either have to turn it on with an Xacto knife or leave it on and pull a battery or the power supply. A real drag. I took it apart to look at the switch and it is not in a very convenient place to unsolder and replace either.

I'll look for the manual ASAP.

Yeah, you have to desolder the display to replace the switch! Ugh. Haven't done it yet but sourced the switch at mouser (obsolete, get em while you can).

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SSAA120200virtualkey 68800000virtualkey688-SSAA120200

Pretty sure its an exact replacement. I think I was wrong about the shaft length.
Paranormal Patroler
You guys are making me paranoid. zombie
was silents
Pretty sure this is where I got it from. Alternatively, I can email it to you if you don't trust that site. Just PM me.

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_tnr-o_tenori-on.pdf/download.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1