MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The modules that should exist (but don't)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author The modules that should exist (but don't)
R.U.Nuts
A stored voltages expander for the Makenoise Tempi. Imagine having six channels of stored voltages that can be set and saved per state. so each time you change Tempi's state manually, with CV or triggered it will also send out a different set of stored voltages. For example one of these voltages would go into the rate input of your master clock, another into the FM index of DPO, a third into the delay time CV input of your delay and another into the decay time CV input of an envelope. -You get the picture.

Additionally you could enable shift/mod to any of the CV channels as with the clock channels. So each time a trigger hits the mod input on the main module the shift enabled voltages get swapped and thus creating an analog shift register style sequencer.

Imagine having some CV channels mod enabled and some not. Those which are not can serve as preset voltages that change some parameter each time a new state is selected while the mod enabled ones serve as some kind of sequencer that changes it's sequence each time the state changes.
RaB
Perceived Loudness Processor

A processor that attenuates a signal when its perceived loudness (as opposed to technical voltage level) rises. This would take care of run-away feedbacks and loud resonances sticking out in complex modulations. Note that this cannot be done with a simple compressor which only cares for level (be it with some EQ bias) but is otherwise ignorant of perceived loudness, which in my experience has to do with with spectral energy distribution. Anyone know about the feedback destroyer (?) outboard gear?

One case where I frequently wish for it is: Starting from a series of triggers and speeding that up into audio range the preceived loudness rises immensely. I would like a sense of even loudness over the transistion and cannot do it manually.
dooj88
went back to my ol lusty synt that i can't afford.. jomox synsyn

have the RCOs (sample based wavetable waveforms with selectable start and end points) in euro format would be so killer. the sunsyn was able to FM them against each other as well. we've got to have the processing power now to make this possible!

complex RCO wavetable module nanners nanners J├╝rgen?!? do you lurk here? i suppose shapeshifter does something similar, but the sounds in this video are unlike anything i've gotten from the SS.

luchog
A 64-step WYSIWYG analog step sequencer that allows up to 4 separate tracks -- 1x64, 2x32, or 4x16 -- and the ability to do multi-layer fills (VC step between tracks).

The Megacity already does a simpler version of this, 64 steps that can be run as 2x32, with the ability to use the second track as a fill activated by a trigger voltage. Pretty much just need to take that sequencer and break it down an additional level, and it would be just about perfect. Maybe add a built-in microtonal quantizer as well.

Actually, I'd modify it just slightly beyond that as well, instead of a single step/jump switch per step, I'd update that to a three-position step/jump/reset, so it can be reset back to the beginning from any point.
IR
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser/vendor:175

I don't think they really exist, besides being listed on that site.
mskala
luchog wrote:
A 64-step WYSIWYG analog step sequencer that allows up to 4 separate tracks -- 1x64, 2x32, or 4x16 -- and the ability to do multi-layer fills (VC step between tracks).

How would you define "analog" in this context?
Daisuk
So, was in the shower thinking about how awesome it would be to have individual outputs per tap on the Magneto (especially in the fifth/shift mode).

So something that:

- samples incoming signal
- has say 4/5 different outputs, where you can choose say a chord or a musical interval for the various outputs that are pitch shifted accordingly

That's about it. It would be sweet to then take those outputs and route into the system for further processing.

Does anything like this already exist? Pitch shifter with multiple "musical intervals" outputs? lol hmmm.....

Maybe this one?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/schlappi-engineering-harmonic-pllaser
nios
A module dedicated to clean up / cancel out noise in a system, ideally with several input/outputs to mix and clean up several modules at once.

I suppose it's overall an EQ'ing type job, and I've heard plenty about various solutions for mitigating noise in both software/hardware outside eurorack, but I don't recall there being a module out there dedicated to clean up noisy parts of a system - even when power is way more than adequate and its supply carefully managed, high quality bus boards used etc, I find that some modules are just going to be inherently noisy and either inject it into the system where it's audible elsewhere from certain vulnerable modules, or otherwise you can hear it from its outs.

Also, a totally unrelated wishlist item, but I'd really want a Synton Syrinx / Fenix filter in the format, or at least approximate recreations functionally replacing the unobtanium chips. This is fun!
Daisuk
nios wrote:
A module dedicated to clean up / cancel out noise in a system, ideally with several input/outputs to mix and clean up several modules at once.

I suppose it's overall an EQ'ing type job, and I've heard plenty about various solutions for mitigating noise in both software/hardware outside eurorack, but I don't recall there being a module out there dedicated to clean up noisy parts of a system - even when power is way more than adequate and its supply carefully managed, high quality bus boards used etc, I find that some modules are just going to be inherently noisy and either inject it into the system where it's audible elsewhere from certain vulnerable modules, or otherwise you can hear it from its outs.

Also, a totally unrelated wishlist item, but I'd really want a Synton Syrinx / Fenix filter in the format, or at least approximate recreations functionally replacing the unobtanium chips. This is fun!

Have you seen the Worng Sound Stage? hihi

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209577
nios
Quote:
Have you seen the Worng Sound Stage?

Yeah, it's quite neat, but not really what I meant. Sound Stage is more of a mixing / psuedo-mastering-like unit rather than something specifically anti-noise, whether that be in the form of say bountiful controls over high khz EQ or active noise control/cancellation. Sometimes headroom is irrelevant if a module late in a stage is just noisy and that output goes along for the ride.
robotfunk
A hardware version of Reason's Alligator. Pretty please.
JES
Daisuk wrote:
nios wrote:

Have you seen the Worng Sound Stage? hihi

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209577

Also the Joranalogue T2 did wonders for me.
Daisuk
robotfunk wrote:
A hardware version of Reason's Alligator. Pretty please.

Obviously not entirely the same thing, but have you seen 1010 Music's FXbox? It's pretty awesome. smile
robotfunk
Wouldn't that be limited to two bands rather than the three in Alligator? I'm not sure I'd like that UI for this purpose either.

With 3 gate inputs you could do the sequencing externally to keep it relatively simple. If I can get my hands on an Axoloti I'll see what I can kludge up.
R.U.Nuts
A small voltage controlled quad panning module. Four inputs, stereo output and pan CV inputs for each of the input channel. Just because I'd like to run the four outputs of my Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques through this for spectral panning. A macro control would also be cool so you could control the panning of all channels with one knob/CV. Basically Mutable Instruments Frames in stereo...
Aelitafrommars
A live performance ADSR. it'd work like this:

2 channels of ADSR.
-1 v/o input, with a log/lin/exp bending knob. 12 o'clock is linear.
-This is routed to a crossfader between the two channels.
-(Indivudual outs of the two ADSR:s as a bonus / for separate use).

This way you play the lowest note, set the left channel ADSR, play the highest intended note, set the right channel ADSR, and with a slight adjustment to the crossfade linearity knob get the exact pitch to instrument response you want.

All envelope steps have cv controllable, attenuverted inputs. D and R are normalled. CV over channel 1 is normalled to channel 2. All normalling is pre-attenuversion.

Yes, you could kind of sort of get this behaviour with 2 vc-adsrs and an x-fade module - that is not the point. Getting it all in one module cements its specific use and can do so in less space and fewer cables to patch, which is what i'd want for a lean performance rig.

============

Yet another low pass filter (bp is welcome too), but where
-you have one (or a few mixed) shared cv input for cutoff and resonance, but with an individual attenuverter for each parameter.
-Small, lean, musically ready to go.
-Focused on that you usually want to turn down resonance as you open up the cutoff either way.
-The usual cutoff and resonance knobs double act as relative offsets to the incoming cv, so you don't really need offset knobs beside the attenuverters.
Shledge
Wouldn't a normal VC ADSR do the same job?
Aelitafrommars
Yeah, i believe you can achieve similar results in many cases, but not quite. You could also feed a vc-adsr CV:s from addac306 to simplify the handling, going this route.

the interfacing is decidedly different. You set two presets you're happy with quickly, and mix them with tracking, instead of wiggling the amount of vc here and there to achieve a compromise. You're also more readily free to change the specific characteristics of the envelope that you'd be with a normal vc adsr.

The x-fade linearity bend is a comfortable way to skew the response just a little in one direction or the other (not the same as an offset).

You can use either or both channels separately for something you don't want tracked in addition to the primary goal. Or you can use the xfade to morph or switch between two wildly different pre-set envelopes if you're not interested in tracking/natural response. Or, with another x-mixer in the system, you can create two distinct blends from the same two channels.

the mix is, in my thinking, mostly intended for keyboard tracking, and the vc over discrete steps for separate modulation like velocity. But i suppose you could switch it around to have two presets for extremes of velocity and have tracking affect individual cv components instead, depending on what's your preference/aim.

But.. you could skip all the cv ins over individual time/level segments for a simpler module and keep two or so attenuverted ins to the crossfade block.

In this case/version, for a natural-reminiscent instrument patch, keyboard tracking would typically affect the x-mixer block positive, and velocity affect the cv mixer negatively, but a lot less so.
Shledge
I see what you mean now.

Personally I'd just pair a VC ADSR with a module like Frames - would allow me to have fine control the behaviour at different points of the 1v/oct scale and would work with other modules too. Would even allow me to introduce modulation from other sources at various points too eg. if I go to the higher notes.
bollyhood
-Envelope with choke function.

-Tracking generator (Oberheim Matrix) waveshaper/folder for CV. But Im sure the same concept would be fun with audio. I guess Frames is similiar but we dont have any version of the fun basic and raw Oberheim concept as far as I know?
Aelitafrommars
Oh yeah, frames would be very powerful in that context. Sounds great in a studio environment!

In my specific case, i want to consolidate a live/jam rig into 107 hp:s / one row, possibly sometimes with a lunchbox or two on the side.

Assume a 8hp module for the vc-adsr. frames is 18hp. so that would eat 24% of the available space. addac306 is less flexible than frames, but still a nice direct performance module. 16hp = 15% of the available space. This is getting into the acceptable terroritory, i think. Maybe there's a smaller vc-adsr too which would help with the goal.

So anyway, i'd be curious to see in how few HP:s you could get the above idea crammed into.

At a condensed minimum, i get the following:

-Let's go for dual pots for the ADSR steps. That's 8 controls in 4 pot places.
-1 xmix linearity bend knob. If we make it dual, the second dial could be an attenuverter for the 2nd channel. You can then fine-tune the total volume of the envelope to be slightly more timid than the 1st, or invert it to create a complex envelope outside of the tracking context.

= 5 knobs.

1 shared gate/trig jack for both envs.
1 xmix cv
1 xmix out
2 individual outs (maybe not exactly requisite, but..)
= 4 jacks.

That's doable in 8hp and still have some space vacant for 4 jacks, switches or mini pots.

The question then is whether to spend those on CV control over steps (and what steps make the most musical sense), or something else, or a blend.

Suggestion:
-1 mini pot for attenuating all the below following cv inputs on the 2nd channel to be proportionally less affected than the 1st.
-1 cv input to control the sustain portion of both envelopes. normalled to the below input jack.
-1 cv to increase both D and R of both envelopes.
-1 cv to change the A portion of both envelopes. Maybe inverted?

Additional conveniences that could be added without adding panel complexity or HP:s

-Gates coming in hotter than 5v will amplify the total envelope(s)s amplitude. Up to a point where it gets clamped. This way, it is possible to

a)affect overall loudness by varying the gate voltage beyond the comparator threshold.
b)create an A-hold-DSR through squashing the envelopes against the clamp.
the clamp threshold could be trim-able.

Just fantasies, of course. It would not be the most affordable 8hp adsr for sure. I think it pretty much needs to be SMT populated too in order to fit the pcb:s

One oversight with this plan is there's no jack to separate the 2nd env trigger from the 1st, if you wanted to.
Shledge
Not everything has to be as condensed as possible - ergonomics will suffer if it goes too far. Then again, I have a few "micro" versions of mutable modules like Knit, which is a 6hp Plaits.

You can get a smaller version of Frames though, look up "Plancks". 8hp for the exact same functionality. Codex Modulex sell a 10hp version.
hlprmnky
R.U.Nuts wrote:
A small voltage controlled quad panning module. Four inputs, stereo output and pan CV inputs for each of the input channel. Just because I'd like to run the four outputs of my Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques through this for spectral panning. A macro control would also be cool so you could control the panning of all channels with one knob/CV. Basically Mutable Instruments Frames in stereo...

If I've understood this right, you could technically do what you want here with two Make Noise X-Pans in series (pan inputs 1 and 2 in X-Pan 1, feed that to the Aux input of X-Pan 2 where you have inputs 3 and 4, take final mix out from X-Pan 2), but that would be a pretty big waste of HP and resources because you're not using any of the crossfader pieces?
R.U.Nuts
hlprmnky wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

If I've understood this right, you could technically do what you want here with two Make Noise X-Pans in series (pan inputs 1 and 2 in X-Pan 1, feed that to the Aux input of X-Pan 2 where you have inputs 3 and 4, take final mix out from X-Pan 2), but that would be a pretty big waste of HP and resources because you're not using any of the crossfader pieces?

Yeah, maybe. Haven't checked the X-pan yet. Verbos Scan & Pan can do quad panning or the Doepfer VC Performance mixer. But they all have a lot a lot of features I don't neccessarily need. I really think about it as some kind of expander for a quad audio output module like a filter with individual outs for the different filter types or a quad VCA or the mentioned Fluctuations Magnetiques . I also think it might be overkill to automatically pan four sounds in most cases because it would create a dizzying mess. But used subtle and with slow modulation it could be a pretty nice effect.
jdee
Cwejman MX-4S does this really well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 24 of 26