MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The modules that should exist (but don't)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author The modules that should exist (but don't)
spillane
Def. reaktor metaphysical function and unfiltered audio sandman pro
VM
I want a 4 or 6-channel eurorack mixer with headphone and stereo XLR outs that lets you toggle which channel you want to remove from the main output mix and divert to the headphone out so you can monitor and change the pitch/levels of a voice prior to crossfading it into the main output mix.
cackland
VM wrote:
I want a 4 or 6-channel eurorack mixer with headphone and stereo XLR outs that lets you toggle which channel you want to remove from the main output mix and divert to the headphone out so you can monitor and change the pitch/levels of a voice prior to crossfading it into the main output mix.

More so a ‘cue’ function... doesn’t remove it from the main output, as that is decided on the mix control knob for that channel.

I was thinking of building something similar. What hp size?
VM
cackland wrote:
VM wrote:

More so a ‘cue’ function... doesn’t remove it from the main output, as that is decided on the mix control knob for that channel.

I was thinking of building something similar. What hp size?

The "divert from main output mix" toggle is important because say you will start with a patch that involves 5 out of 6 channels being output to the mixer, and you want to crossfade the 6th one in, but you need to monitor it on the cans first to check pitch and rhythm, etc.

Over 9000 hours in ms paint later:

In the above diagram, channels 1-3 are being sent to the main outputs (TRS and/or 3.5mm), Ch4,5 are muted and Ch6 is being diverted to the headphones monitor out. So it's a performance mute and 6-channel stereo mixer.

This might be too stupid or niche to work, and I might be sleep-deprived, but I *want* it to exist, which is the point of this thread screaming goo yo
Graham Hinton
VM wrote:

This might be too stupid or niche to work, and I might be sleep-deprived, but I *want* it to exist, which is the point of this thread

You've just try to re-invent PFL and made a poorer version.
VM
Graham Hinton wrote:
VM wrote:

This might be too stupid or niche to work, and I might be sleep-deprived, but I *want* it to exist, which is the point of this thread

Thanks for bringing this module+expander combo to my attention. Is my design "poorer" because of the amount of redundancy, or the build (im)practicalities, or some other reason?
ericD13
Graham Hinton wrote:

What is PFL ?
cackland
ericD13 wrote:
Graham Hinton wrote:

What is PFL ?

Pre Fade Listen
Audition the channels signal prior to the fader

There is also AFL (After Fade Listen) - Opposite of PFL
Audition the channels signal from a point immediately after the fader, showing the level of the channel's contribution to the mix.
R.U.Nuts
BUT neither PFL or AFL will remove a signal from the main mix while you're monitoring it. You'd also need to mute it.
Graham Hinton
VM wrote:
Is my design "poorer" because of the amount of redundancy, or the build (im)practicalities, or some other reason?

It is poorer because you can only use the monitor for that one purpose. On mixers that have PFL the monitored channel is switched to a PFL bus and the monitor is switched from Mix to the PFL us too, the rest of the time you can monitor the main output. If you want stereo PFL too that is going to take more poles than you get on a toggle switch, which is why most mixers use push switches with 4 or 6 poles.

R.U.Nuts wrote:
BUT neither PFL or AFL will remove a signal from the main mix while you're monitoring it. You'd also need to mute it.

That is the job of the fader and why it is called PRE Fade Listen. In general it is undesirable to have monitoring change the main mix.
R.U.Nuts
Graham Hinton wrote:

R.U.Nuts wrote:

That is the job of the fader and why it is called PRE Fade Listen. In general it is undesirable to have monitoring change the main mix.

Right but VM's idea was a mixer that automatically removes the signal from the main mix while you're monitoring it (if I understood it right). Some Mackie mixers use the mute button to also route the signal to a sub bus while it's muted. That's a pretty cool feature. I use this to route signals through a FX unit. I also abuse the PFL bus to route signals through a delay for dubby momentary delay FX.
forrest
nso_music wrote:
an actually compact (6-8hp) random module with no nonsense, just 6+ outputs of smooth or stepped random CV, with a clock input to control rate. built-in little attenuverters on each output and you have my dream module.

Basically an NLC triple sloth.
Foghorn
EDIT:

DOH, posted in wrong thread. hmmm.....

Meant to post in:
.......Modules that exist, but shouldn't

Foghorn seriously, i just don't get it
miles_macquarrie
Most Wanted Non Existent Module:

A Complex CV recorder with Multiple Outputs, Lots of recall of stored cv, Editing Capabilities, A Screen, and the ability to record CV, Triggers, Gates,
and then output all of that quantized or unquantized. Instant buy
Daisuk
miles_macquarrie wrote:
Most Wanted Non Existent Module:

A Complex CV recorder with Multiple Outputs, Lots of recall of stored cv, Editing Capabilities, A Screen, and the ability to record CV, Triggers, Gates,
and then output all of that quantized or unquantized. Instant buy

Sounds like Squarp's Hermod to me. hihi
Hirsbro
An euclidean trigger sequencer with knob and vc in per function (length, fill and rotate) Grids and 2hp Euclid are close functionally. Preferably with a screen for vusual feedback, like in squarp pyramid love
cackland
Hirsbro wrote:
An euclidean trigger sequencer with knob and vc in per function (length, fill and rotate) Grids and 2hp Euclid are close functionally. Preferably with a screen for vusual feedback, like in squarp pyramid love

Without any experience on the Pyramid, but can't this be done already?
Daisuk
cackland wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:

You can with squarp Hermod, but it only has four cv inputs. You can route those 4 cv inputs to anywhere and multiple times thanks to the modulation matrix though.
gringostar
I wonder how hard it would be to reprogram the A-160-2 so that the 2-128 divider can instead be the fibonacci sequence.
Mawkeyz
2HP utility module with 1 input and 2-4 buffered outputs. One coarse knob, one fine knob for bi-directional voltage scaling. Scaling means it spreads the input voltage range out or narrows it - not just a voltage offset. Especially useful for pitch CV because 1V/octave isn't necessarily 1V/octave.
R.U.Nuts
A 4MS DLD MK II which breaks out the hidden functions of the DLD, adds voltage control for the scrub feature adds start/stop and reset transport controls and a switch that toggles between no repitch and repitch behaviour when changing delay times.
Aelitafrommars
Natural Gates, but with either button toggle switchable (or attenuvertable) "memory" built in, so you can more easily play it more like any typical instrument (ie quick drum rolls or rapid string plucks in succession typically lowers the force of the strike in favour of precision).
cackland
R.U.Nuts wrote:
A 4MS DLD MK II which breaks out the hidden functions of the DLD, adds voltage control for the scrub feature adds start/stop and reset transport controls and a switch that toggles between no repitch and repitch behaviour when changing delay times.

This would be interesting to see.
Hirsbro
Daisuk wrote:
cackland wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:

You can with squarp Hermod, but it only has four cv inputs. You can route those 4 cv inputs to anywhere and multiple times thanks to the modulation matrix though.

Yes you can and I have hermod but you don't have a knob per function wich was my point/wish otherwise there are plenty of options out there and combinations of various other modules that can get your there without visual feedback
MvK
a 4x4 stereo matrix mixer. Expandable into x and y direction.
a quad (or more) chromatic quantizer (without scales) in 4hp, only jacks.
a timestretching and slicing sampler from rossum
a delay and reverb module from Synth Tech.
a stereo tri-band compressor.
an octal sine-bank with individual outputs. You would have one fundamental (leftmost) and you could then save many presets containing the intervals of the remaining 7 sine oscs. Nice for audiorate modulation of everything.
nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 25 of 26